No CD player in my new car.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Siegmund, Jul 26, 2018.

1. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Major auto companies have always sought to save pennies per vehicle in manufacturing costs even to the point where those few cents made the difference between life and death for their customers.

2. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

If you are plugging into a USB port, it depends on the DAC in the car. If it doesn't decode flac, it doesn't decode flac, regardless of the player. If you're plugging into a 3.5mm input, any digital player will work.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is there even a 3.5mm input on the CRV entertainment console? A digital player connected this way to the console may be able to play through the console ...

4. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Your owners manual should specify. That's how I learned that my 2014 Audi maxed at 320 mps files.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Every car I've owned with a factory cd player disappointed me.

Use my ipod thru usb port.

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I had ripped cds for years on to my laptop as WAV files, under the belief that they were lossless and the best possible sound quality.......unfortunately, they won't play through the USB port on my Ford Fusion. So I have been doggedly re-ripping cds as 320 bit MP3 files and saving them on a 64 GB thumb drive, for use in my car and others that don't have a cd player any more.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Why re-rip? Just convert your WAVs to mp3.

Frost and vwestlife like this.
  8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Forum Resident

Just had 5 hour roadtrip to Louisville this weekend. Love a cd player in the car, I use cdr’s that I have copied from my own collection using a Roxio software.
    Playlist leg 1:
    Dire Straits Communique
    Led Zeppelin HOTH
    Cars Moving in Stereo greatest hits
    Hank Williams Jr Greatest Hits (totally random because I found a target cd on a pitstop but it was knee slapping fun)
    Jimi Hendrix Live at Fillmore (Machine Gun)

Playlist leg 2 return trip:
    CSNY Deja Vu
    Alice Cooper School’s Out
    Rolling Stones Green Grass and High Tides
    Dire Straits Communique (again)
    Black Sabbath Sabotage

Yes I could put all this on a flashdrive/media player and plugin to the usb but I have a nice storage case and very skilled at changing cds with one hand while I weave in and out of trucks on I-65

wrappedinsky and SteelyNJ like this.
  9. coopmv

Most cars can only play MP3 files anyway ...

10. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

When I had a CD-player-less 2019 VW Jetta as a loaner, I tried plugging an external CD/DVD drive into its USB port and using it to play a CD, but it didn't work.

However, if you have a Tesla, you can even plug in a floppy drive and it will work:

11. coopmv

Tesla is in a different league, probably all by itself in terms of understanding technologies. I would never go near an electric car made by GM ...

12. Jose Jones

Ignorance and lack of proper software, mainly.

13. coopmv

I am not part of the streaming generation. No CD player in a car and most cars only play MP3 is an awful combo IMO ...

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. Jose Jones

Interesting response. Guy complains about his VW, you bash GM instead.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  15. coopmv

They are both techno dinos ...

16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My Mazda plays WAVs. Unfortunately, it doesn't play FLACs. Best of all, it plays CDs.

17. coopmv

Every new type of lossless format requires another level of technology. That is too much to ask from the traditional car guys ...

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Both my wife’s car and mine still have CD players (a ‘14 and a ‘16), but honestly I can’t remember the last time I bothered to bring a CD along in a car. Other than road trips, I don’t even listen to music in the car very often anymore. I think it’s a combination of my home stereo raising the bar for what is acceptable sound quality and my getting older and usually preferring to listen to people talk about stuff when I drive (podcasts or public and sports radio). When I do want music, I find my iPod or streaming from iPhone to be just easier.

I do feel some nostalgia for my visor-mounted CD case/sleeve full of burned CD-Rs (or my Chuck Taylor box full of cassette tapes, which, believe it or not, was only one car ago, because Chevrolet was apparently still making cassette decks available shockingly late into this century...).

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You can stream your FLAC files through BT, if needed.

I came into BT kicking and screaming, after my aux-in kicked the bucket (and I'm too cheap to fix it). But it's not bad at all...worst problem is that BT itself is flaky outside of my smartphone. But my car is eight years old now.

20. coopmv

Assuming your car is BT-enabled, but you would also need your playback device to be BT-eanbled, which obviously cannot be a USB stick ... :confused:

21. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Subaru still puts CD players in their cars.

22. coopmv

Even in its 2019 models?

Subaru Legacy was my first AWS car, circa 1992 - 2004 and have been driving various AWS Honda models ever since ...

23. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

My daughter got a 2019 Impreza sport and it has one. Nice car too.

24. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

My 2018 Mercedes came with a CD player, but I have never used it other than to make sure it worked initially.

The audio system will not play WAV or FLAC files from a USB stick, only MP3. However, it does have Apple CarPlay and I have discovered that I can play lossless PCM through the CarPlay interface.

I bought an unlocked refurbished iPhone 7 with 256 GB of storage specifically to use in my car. For whatever reason the iPod Touch does not work with CarPlay, but you can use an iPhone without a SIM card, and you can get a used iPhone with more capacity for about the same price as the iPod.

I have been syncing Apple Lossless files up to 24/96 to the phone and they all play and sound great in the car, though I suspect anything over 16/48 is being downsampled.

25. coopmv

I meant to type AWD and ended up typing AWS instead ... :laugh: