No CD player in my new car.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Siegmund, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I've recently changed my car. My last one I bought in 2011, when CD players were still part of car furniture. Time has moved on and I now have the option of inserting a 'device' into the rig - BUT: I don't have an iPhone and don't want one (I do OK on just a pay as you go contract, the phone is not central to my life). I have an ancient classic iPod, which the rig doesn't recognise when I plug it in. Does this mean I have to buy some new device (looking at the infotainment brochure, it seems I'd be OK with an MP3 player, but who wants to buy one of those in 2018?!??).

Does anyone know a way through this impasse? I'm fed up listening to the radio!

sound chaser likes this.
  2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Have you tried to update the software on the iPod through iTunes?

I use a 4 year old iPad in my car and it works great.

3. Does the car have a USB input? If so, copying a pile of MP3 files to a USB thumb drive and using that is by far the easiest and cheapest option.

4. Siegmund

When I put the iPod in, the rig asked me if it was a Samsung. Does this mean I'm destined to be a victim of format wars?

Bit of a tech ignoramus here - can you direct me to site that tells me how to update the iPod for this purpose?

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If you have iTunes installed on a computer, when you plug the iPod into the computer with a USB cord, iTunes will tell you if there's an update available.

Siegmund likes this.
  6. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

MP3 stick as mentioned; if thats not available, see if there is a direct AUX 1/8" in port. any phone > headphone out > line into AUX jack on car stereo will work.

the third option - does the car stereo have bluetooth? connect your phone to it, should be something about how to do this in your car manual... then play music on your phone/tablet, it steams to the car stereo. Usually sounds pretty good. Not quite as good as a CD or Mp3 stick, but pretty good.

SixtiesGuy and Siegmund like this.
  7. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Forum Resident

Unearth one of these guys. Not sure how to power it, other than have a supply of batteries but I’m sure there is an adaptor that will let you play through the car stereo system.
    [​IMG]

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

9. Siegmund

I've got one! Will have to dig it out....

10. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Does the iPod have a standard 1/8 inch audio output jack on it? If so, most cars still have a 1/8 inch AUX input. I listen to my phone all the time like that in my car. All you would need is an interconnect cable.

11. bluesky

bluesky Forum Resident

install one.

I would.

12. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Amen brother! I'm sure there's still plenty of after-market products one can buy.

And if the warranty doesn't allow it? NO SALE for me. I don't have a blue tooth or a red one for that matter LOL

bluesky and showtaper like this.
  13. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

I used to use a Griffin Road Trip FM ipod adapter until I got a car with an auxilary jack. It worked pretty good. I don't know if Griffin still makes them but there are plenty on eBay and Amazon for the various ipod models.

Siegmund likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am just beginning to look for a new car, probably around the holidays is when i will buy.

it really is amazing how many 2018 models do not have CD players, nor offer an option to get one. (be careful with after-market, make sure they are very good, because they have to remove almost the whole dashboard to make it look good.

here is what i have found so far:

chevy - not a single car comes with a CD player. you can get one as an option, but ONLY in a very high end impala

ford - from what i have gathered every 2018 ford model comes with a CD player

jeep - not available, as option either. on any model. yep, can't get a new jeep with a CD player

most, i say most because i have not researched them all, foreign cars still come with CD players standard. for sure - BMW, mercedes, honda, acura.

Dan Steele likes this.
  15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Forum Resident

Your post just made me think, would any car maker be contrarian enough to make a specialty car that has a dash with a usb, 8 track, cassette and cd players and then market it by saying ‘no matter your music collection we have you covered’? I would think some SHF members might purchase.

2trackmind likes this.
  16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Anyone has a Honda 2018 or later model? What kind of digital audio player can you connect to the Honda USB port to play music through the Honda entertainment center? Does the digital audio player have to run either iOS or Android? My 15-year old Creative ZEN Xtra certainly does not work as connecting it to my 2018 CRV USB port produces absolutely no sound.

17. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I have a USB port which can play flac files. I don't miss having a cd player at all.

Jim N. and SteelyNJ like this.
  18. coopmv

So you just connect your USB drive (stick) to your car USB port? I already ripped a bunch of FLAC files to a USB drive ...
    Is the car entertainment system supposed to automatically recognize your USB stick and walks you through to play?

19. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Mine does. The contents of the USB show up on the touch screen

20. coopmv

I actually ripped all the FLAC files from CD's via the Windows Media Player. I read somewhere those WMP-ripped FLAC files may have to be converted before they will play in other non-Windows devices, which will include the car entertainment system.

21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Check your manual. My Kia said it would play flac

22. RockAddict

RockAddict Forum Resident

Assuming your in-car system has a USB port, I'd definitely follow those who have suggested using a USB stick for playing music. As other posts indicate, you'll need to check what file types your system supports (e.g. some support FLAC, some don't). In a car, diminished audio quality with MP3, especially at 320kbps, is going to be hard to notice simply because the road & engine noise will make it next to impossible for such a difference to be heard. Although it will obviously take time to rip / copy files across, it's actually much easier in the end than carrying "bulky" CDs. And, no CDs will ever again get chewed up in an errant player!

Good luck.

23. Siegmund

I think I've adapted to it quite well - and, yes, it's good to avoid all the CD-clutter.

24. coopmv

A digital audio player is more attractive to me as it can have dual use. 1) I can take it with me while I go for my walk. 2) I can connect it to the car USB port. Unfortunately, I cannot listen to a USB stick while taking my walk.

My car actually has 3 USB ports but I have to read up my manual or search online to get descriptions for their use.

25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Do you have a streaming service like Spotify on your iPhone? You can download playlists to your phone while on WiFi and with cell data turned off you can still play the downloaded music into your car stereo.

SixtiesGuy likes this.