New Zesto Andros II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by clrvlewis, Sep 6, 2020.

1. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a eye opening experience this weekend. One I will go into the other I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole :)

I was able to do A/B comparisons between the new Andros II and the Andros 1.5. Jeff from Reference Analog also brought Audience FrontRow cables. We didn’t put the cables in until the very end of the day, but again let’s not go down that rabbit hole.

When I was told that Zesto was upgrading the Andros 1.5 to the Andros II I was intrigued, but really didn’t think there would be much difference warranting an upgrade. Wow was I wrong! Jeff from Reference Analog, in Oklahoma, brought over the new Andros II so we could do a side by side comparison. It was not a subtle change. As soon as the music started the difference between the two was immediate. The sound stage was wider and cleaner, and the lower end had more punch and control. If you have heard the Andros before I know that statement is hard to believe. I have never heard an update to a component make this much of a difference. Jeff did not leave with the Andros II. Great Job Zesto!

[​IMG]

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The Leto 1.5 was the preamp. The Andros 1.2 was the phono stage. I think you mean the Andros 1.2 was upgraded to Andros 2.

clrvlewis likes this.
  3. clrvlewis

Yes sorry! Typo that I can’t fix now. Should be Andros 1.2

displayname likes this.
  4. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Just sent my Andros 1.2 to Zesto for the upgrade; should be done by the end of next week! :righton:

5. clrvlewis

Nice! You will love it!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm sure I will. Can't wait!

7. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Nice. I only heard about this upgrade from my dealer a couple of weeks ago for my 1.2
    I just asked him today about how much it will set me back.
    It's a lot costlier then I had expected so I'm thinking about it. But according to my dealer I don't have to ship it to Zesto.
    The contact said they can do the upgrade.

8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

You must have got it back by now. Please let us know what you think of the upgrade. So I can decide if I want to go through with it or not.

9. pathguy

pathguy Forum Resident

Hi schugh! Yes, it only took about a week. For me, it was a bit difficult to tell how much better the II actually is compared to the 1.2; during the time it was gone I was borrowing an EAR phonobox, and the Andros is better at everything (I had an EAR 834P before the Andros and the difference was again night-and-day better).

I can say for sure that the Andros is now even quieter. My system is all tube and I really need to jack the volume up now to hear any hiss at all. I'm happy I had it done, but it would have been nice to be able to A/B the two versions to really hear the difference. Wish I could be of more help!

Strat-Mangler is from Toronto and I believe he is having his upgraded somewhere in Canada--at a reasonable price, too. He is also MUCH better at providing reviews, so perhaps after he gets his done there will be another resource for you. :agree: