New RCA cables: changed perception of music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudioLoup, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I very respectfully disagree, generally it moves sideways while staying very low.

There are a number of other well know subjects that bring exactly the same so you may as well have to shut down the Internet.:shrug:

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes but much worse than using measurements to check if you’re actually hearing something or that the salesman has gotten into the back of your head with their snakeoil marketing.

Hardcore likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Yes I think this thread was reopened on request lol

Retro Music Man likes this.
  4. Uglyversal

I am sorry but I don't agree with that at all and when purchasing audio, no salesman is going to convince me of anything, they can suggest but unless I like it I won't buy.

Measurements are useless when it comes to audio, yes, useless! They give you no clue on how something is going to sound. Once you reach certain level of equipment generally it is a bad idea to buy anything either because a salesman is pushing you or because a little piece of paper tells you the numbers are good. That's when it pays to develop a good relationship with a couple of dealers or buying from places that have a generous policy when it comes to change of mind, even if it means paying more.

To make a satisfactory purchase, equipment and cables too should be tested with the equipment they are going to be used with.
    Because what might work well in one place might not work in others.

It's up to an individual to benefit from the experience of others or not but I am a grown up and I definitely don't need protection from snake oil sellers.

If you are happy using $20 interconnects or cheap speaker cable that is fine with me, ultimately it is you the one who would be listening to whichever choices you make, I will make my own choices.

5. Oelewapper

If you really think you're 100% resistant to indoctrination without taking necessary preventive actions, you're really, really overestimating either yourself or the humanity in general.

I never even said anything related to that, why are you replying to something I never even mentioned?

I fully agree.

That's a utopia - not every salesman is a Steve Guttenberg.
    Nearly every salesman is dishonest up to a certain point, that's how free market economy works.

6. Uglyversal

I don't think need your permission to say something I think needs to be said or do I?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. Oelewapper

My question you responded to didn’t even mention or imply anything related to permissions.

This is exactly one of the two main reasons why the debate on cables never makes any progress, because at a certain point people get triggered somehow and try to derail the discussion into something else instead of adding meaningful content to the discussion.
    The other obstacle is hardlining (and everything that comes with it).

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Forum Resident

Beg to differ. You've not understood the hobby if you don't understand the need for measurements. They're not the sole arbiter, obviously, but they shouldn't be disregarded either.

As for "happy with $20 interconnects", well, I'm happy with my £35 ones. They replaced £200+ cables.

In fact, my mains cables with a combined total of around £600 were replaced by mains cables costing about £15 in total.

What's your view on that? I'm informed, been in the hobby for about 40 years, and went in the opposite direction to many when it came to cables (or upgrades in general). I'm also a pretty fussy listener.

Where, in your view, do you think I've gone wrong in opting for these cheaper cables when I discern no decrease in sound quality at all?

Hardcore, 62caddy and Oelewapper like this.
  9. Oelewapper

Well said with the right amount of nuance :righton:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Politics ... Religion ... and cables :D

Why we can't tolerate a different approach? (maded with respect, obviously). It's the money and system of other person, not mine.

I think cables can made a difference ... but it's not a closed truth that in your system, with your context (electrical circuit / electronics / acoustics / ears / mental predisposition / etc) the difference will be evident. I don't think people are cheating or lying ... they really hear / don't hear the difference.

So, I think it's not positive to find that people are dumb or liers and maybe we can try to see why they hear / don't hear differences. I mean, in a high resolutive system with great electrical / acoustics conditions and top recordings ... maybe it's a good environment to check differences.

And people I trust says that when you go far from that conditions, the difference tends to zero ... until you have serious problems with electrical / rfi (too much far) and also a cable can improve some things. And at last, maybe the ratio cost / benefit of the difference it's really low.

Again, it's good to discuss, but better in a positive way, maybe to learn something new. Black holes was discovered in 20 century ... but they already exists since a long, long time ago.

Uglyversal likes this.
  11. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

For a given budget, the person who spends the minimum on cables will have the potential to build a better sounding system than the person who spends big $$ on cables every single time.

Hardcore likes this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I "shelled out" for cables (and purchased a bunch of gear, mostly used trade ins) from a local dealer back between 95 and 98 or so. This was from Marty at HiQ Audio in 1000 Oaks, Ca. Developed a great friendship with Marty and probably went in there near closing time about 15 times with my DAT masters, sampled his (expensive) Scotch and got to listen to my masters on his systems. And I gave him **** how he couldn't tell what cables were what either as Id often switch cables at set break. Or Id play him recordings of my stereo where I swapped interconnects. Like I said, Ive proven my cable beliefs to myself. When the "snake oil" dealer can't tell what cable was used to record what then something is up. I had a very high end recording rig(my final setup, I started with Rat Shack mics). Having said that, nothing but good times hanging out, cranking tunes, and shooting the **** with Marty and those cable purchases were well worth it. In addition to making a friend, I probably drank more $$$ of his Scotch than he made off me in cables. And I bought a couple high dollar cables (Audiotruth Lapisx3 and Emeraldx3, and some less costly but still expensive cables) from him.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  13. Uglyversal

My point on that? I'll refer you to something I have said previously:

Satisfied?

Would you like to argue about that too?

14. Brother_Rael

I'm not arguing anything, merely positing a view counter to the usual - that upgrades or changes usually only go one way: to more expense. No need to be quite so defensive...

15. Uglyversal

What you have said is no different to what other people have said, they hear no difference. So, your post asking on "my view" when in the same post you have made very clear your mind is made up can only appear as someone trying to pick an argument.

Regardless of that I will still repeat myself by quoting something else I have said in the same post I quoted before.

There many more issues to consider but fortunately you have made up your mind and chosen something that cost less and will give you less headaches.

16. Brother_Rael

Thank you. The issue I focused on, FYI, was sound quality.