New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Forum Resident

Thanks, do you know what today No.16 is? From the thumbnail in the calendar window it looks like a possibly 1978/79' TV performance perhaps?

2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Maybe the ABBA in Switzerland, early version of Does Your Mother Know? It has more drama and rocks a bit more!

It's a shame the calendar didn't hold up better, as I've only been able to view just a few of them, and then it's "not available in your country" comes up. The black screen!!!

3. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

Look, I'm sure there will be some beautiful songs on Voyage but JAN is a terrible misstep.
    It sounds EXACTLY like what you'd expect a "pop" song to sound like from a bunch of 70+ year olds. Benny's piano is all over it, plinking and plunking away as if he's playing in a bingo hall. WTF.

Jarleboy and FrankieMax like this.
  4. crankybruh

The advent calendar is a great idea and I've checked it every day but yes, those black screens have been appearing more often.

Jarleboy, John Adam and FrankieMax like this.
  5. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

JAN is now available in the Australia time zone...it is Friday there and I was able to stream the song. My opinion has not changed. It was a misstep.

The recording does sound like a bit of "old and new combined." Unfortunately, as I thought before, the production and sound quality are bad. If you switch to DSMD, the difference is all too obvious and further reveals that JAN, as presented here, would have better stayed as a demo, or as a b-side. I was hoping that B and B would have taken the melody and reworked the lyrics to the high standard that Bjorn is now capable of. It still sounds like a demo. Still, I have gratitude that they even attempted to do something with it.

I am still highly anticipating the "arrival" of "Voyage."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  6. FrankieMax

I watched the video Spectrum-is-Green posted, with the Man offering some reasons as to why Notion is on Voyage and is a Single, and apart from the lyrics are fitting with the whole 'Notion' of the Voyage project I don't feel much reason. ABBA must just really like it, Benny has performed it since as part of his Dansband band performances. B&B must have personally pushed for it to be a single as I can't see Universal suggesting it as a single.

I'm sure I can accept the quality of the song when I hear it fully, it's just the whole Vocals and production being 'now, and then combined', and included on a new Studio Album. I understand they revisit musical sections and entire songs, but 40 years is a long time to mix music on a new Studio Album.

It seems the original recording would have been fine as it was, I'd rather the Gems we are familiar with 'Including Notion' were cleaned up and featured on their own project.

7. Dee Jay

Dee Jay Forum Resident

I know the TV show it comes from and I'm taking a guess (purely from the stances/positions of Agnetha/Bjorn/Frida) that the song is 'On And On And On'. They also performed 'The Winner Takes It All' and 'Super Trouper' on that show in November 1980.

8. FrankieMax

That is exactly it! Excellent work, thank you:)

Jarleboy and Dee Jay like this.
  9. crankybruh

Yes, it sounds like a demo. Inexplicable why it's been included on the album, let alone released as a SINGLE. I just don't get it. Why would this be included on their first - and probably last - album in 40 years? Are they completely bereft of inspiration?
    Oh Buddha, that piano intro is horrendous.......sorry, I'll stop now.

croquetlawns and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Forum Resident

I wonder whether Björn & Benny thinks this is the "Just" song we´ve all been begging for since 1982... :shh:

Seriously, I haven´t heard the new version of "Just A Notion" yet. I have the old finished version, and it´s OK, but I wonder what I´ll think of the new version. Sounds like they haven´t done all that much with it.

bob60, FrankieMax and Roxy6 like this.
  11. FrankieMax

It could have been a bonus track, or B-side but it's been made a featured single. So it wouldn't fit the they had 9 new tracks and needed a 10th.

I don't think I'll have an issue with the song as it is in full. It's just the Frankenstein of it all, on what is billed as a new Studio Album. A new Studio Album that is to take it's place next to The Visitors and sit alongside their previous works.

Again to paraphrase Benny did say 'We've recorded 10 new songs/Or an album', but I don't think people will generally be disappointed as to cancel their pre-orders. Many casual listeners won't even realise even when it is released.

Roxy6, motownboy and Jarleboy like this.
  12. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

Just listened to “Just A Notion” a few times. Its…fine. I like it. I don’t love it though. Its more early-ABBA sounding. Something with the mix sounds a little off though - like it should be a big stomping bop but instead it sounds a bit flat? The drums and guitar could be much more powerful to give it more of a Ring Ring or Waterloo sound.

I’m also not sure how I feel about 1978 vocals being used on a new album. I’m pleased they’ve finally finished the track but to include it bang in the middle of a new album? I’m not sure if it won’t sound out of place or make the album sound inconsistent

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Just A Notion (Official) on Youtube:

Interestingly, the ability to leave comments is currently "turned off", but you can see the like/dislike count.

I think I hear new 21st century backing vocals around the 3:04 mark.

Tord, Roxy6, BlueJay and 2 others like this.
  14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

It’s unfortunately not available in Austria yet:shake:

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Or the US.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  16. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

If you have a VPN and can set it to be Australia or elsewhere where it is now Friday, you can stream it.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  17. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I have a -maybe simple- thought.... Most of us are very fond of the ABBA that brought us The Visitors (and shortly before that Supertrouper) two brilliant albums with Giant songs....

Now after nearly 40 years ABBA will conquer the world again, they opened there charm offensive with two beautiful and very mature ABBA songs, songs that could have been on the Visitors.
    But I think B&B are thinking big, they know there is a large -most now elderly- group of fans from the days of SOS-MamaMia-RIngRing- SO Long, I presume they want to convince this group of old fans, that ABBA is Still also the ABBA they liked a lot....

Another aspect: The Visitor has 9 tracks, Voyage is filled with ten, so if JAN is a kind of mini mistake, the album can still be filled with 9 Wonderfull, beautiful tracks like ISHFIY and DMD.
    fingers crossed.

18. FrankieMax

I think it will all make sense on release, and there may even be an open letter to the fans in the booklet or sleeve, to talk about Voyage and it's tracks, so it'll all come together.

Jarleboy and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think Benny and Bjorn will sell this by saying that the fans have been begging us to release this track for 40 years, so we finally relented, or something along those lines...

20. FrankieMax

So Jarleboy was right...

hehe, can u imagine if that was a genuine misunderstanding and we should have got 'Just Like That'.

21. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

So, the lyrics for JAN are in the insert "booklet" for the CD single of DSMD. That was strange, and could have been a clue that JAN was originally meant to be the bonus track for the DSMD single. Perhaps at the last minute before the Sept 2 announcement, they decided to keep JAN on its own as a single and/or tack it on the album for a tenth track.

"Just Like That" is a better song, even though B and B hesitate to release it.

Roxy6, anduandi, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  22. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I dont like JAN at all…..and I was never a big fan of the snippet that was part of the Undeleted medley in 1994.
    When the new album is out I will definately skip this track…..everytime.

23. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I have listened to „Just A Notion“ now! Although I think it’s not as good as the other two so far released songs, I am of the opinion that it’s a funny, little pop rock song. I don’t think that it’s a problem to have old vocals on a new album! „When Winter Comes“ from the album „McCartney III“ has also old vocals and nevertheless the song doesn’t sounds out of place:)

dreambear, bob60, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  24. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I just had a chance to listen to “Just A Notion”…about five times in a row.

I have to say, while I respect the opinion of others in this thread, I will personally disagree. I really enjoyed it. All of it. Yes, it definitely seems like the bulk of the track is based upon the 1978 recording. But, as the adage goes, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” The majority of the 1978 portions of the track were quite good when they were initially recorded. I stand by my conviction and that the reasoning behind this song being left unfinished for such a long time has to do with the fact that it would have been completely out of place on the 1979 album “Voulez-Vous.”

Now, granted, the piano intro sounds a bit out of place. And understandably so. It was recorded within the last two years, whereas the rest of the recording was from 1978.

But, the song, in my opinion, sounds great. It is catchy, and it is the essence of vintage ABBA. As a long time, diehard fan, I am thrilled to hear this in its completed state.

PS - as others have referenced, it’s curious that all of the clips of “Just Like That“ have been pulled off of YouTube, except for the cover by Björn Again. There does seem to be another recording of it that is coming out by a different Swedish band, apparently sanctioned by Universal Music Sweden, on October 29. That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me if ABBA (Benny and Björn in particular) had something up their sleeves for us somewhere down the line. This whole “Voyage” project is a wonderful gift, with many surprises, so I’m along for the ride, whatever it may entail.

Thorpy, Tord, Roxy6 and 8 others like this.
  25. crankybruh

I'm glad you're thrilled and I wish I felt the same. Again, perhaps it's all about tempering expectations and the shock of the new/old, but I can't imagine listening to this song much in the future.