New DAC, Modius from Schiit

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnCarter17, Jun 2, 2020.

1. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, they won't go to USB C until it gets cheaper for products at this price point.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. Dmac43

Dmac43 Well-Known Member

For Schiit, they are about making great sounding hardware at an affordable price point. By great sounding, they mean invisible hardware that neither adds to nor detracts from the sound path. Based on what Jason has said, the use the best possible solutions that work well and are within their price point.

rodentdog and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The Bifrost multibit has a "real" power cord but I really couldn't tell a difference between the Bifrost multibit and Modi multibit. I've read the same from other owners too. In my humble opinion the Modi multibit is a bargain at 250.

4. ssmith3046

For a hundred bucks the Modi 3 is an impressive DAC.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

Schiit tried the DSD route and it failed for them. Seems their customers just don't care about it. JDS Labs and a few other companies make DACs that are PCM only as well.

I doubt I'll buy another Schiit product ever but it's good to see them release products that perform well.

6. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah, they had the loki dsd add on- weird way to do it when everyone else just built DSD into their dacs, but Schiit's gonna be Schiit as always.

also, the modius must be good, amir likes it!
    Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

:D

timind and johnny q like this.
  7. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

This seems like an interesting statement. The ChiFi DACs you say are overpriced are mostly cheaper than the Schiit products and do a better job as far as specs go. I get the support American made approach, but to say ChiFi is overpriced is counterintuitive. They are just the opposite. Schiit knows this and as such are now trying to produce comparable products to compete. The whole reason why ChiFi is cheap is another mountain of concern, which I fully understand and tend to agree with you on.

By the way my SMSL SU-8 already does pretty much all of this (with seemingly marginally lower specs that are likely beyond that of human hearing) and more for $50 more. I guess this makes it overpriced?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    bluemooze likes this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The overpriced stuff is $500-$700 IMO I feel things like modi 3, modi multi bit, modius sound as good or better than D70, D90, This is all opinion though and yeah made in the US as much as possible. Most of the chifi stuff priced the same $99-$249 doesn't even compete also MY OPINION.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That's great to hear because I have one on the way!

luckybaer, ssmith3046 and 33na3rd like this.
  10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The modi multibit has been my dac for over 2 years. I used to listen to mostly vinyl before. It's the first dac that doesn't sound digital to me.

11. ssmith3046

The longer it's on the better it sounds. I left mine on all the time.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Listener

The Modius seems like a fairly narrow play for head-fi fiends desirous of more connection and power options, beyond the various smaller form-factor Schiit stack options.

I love this company for its humor and hugely entertaining storytelling and openness about its occasional train wrecks (like the Sol turntable rollout).

Mostly I love the sound quality you can get for fairly ridiculous high-end-mocking low prices. My current combo of Modi Multibit DAC and the new Magni Heresy headphone amp is just superb.

Dignan2000, 33na3rd, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Fish tacos.

Same with the Modi 3 for me. No digital glare at all. A very smooth sound and analog like.

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That's what I am going to do.

I almost didn't buy one - I read a review from that Amir guy (whom I respect BTW) on another forum and apparently the Mimby measures for crap! :) But so many glowing reviews of the sound quality from people who have had multiple DACs - that swayed my decision.....not graphs.

icharlie and mikeyt like this.
  15. ssmith3046

I read the same thing. Let your ears be the judge, I did. I think you'll be very happy with it. Right out of the box you might think you made a mistake buying one but after a few hours it gets better then it just keeps getting better. Next day you'll even be more surprised.

mikeyt and johnny q like this.
  16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

It doesn't measure badly it just has an uncool SINAD. I guess it doesn't measure great or very good ? There's no way it should sound as good or maybe better than modius or D50? I'm going to hook both up to my liquid platinum and have some fun.

The only negatives for me on the modi multibit is the USB. However since w10 1909 it works flawlessly ! not one hiccup or issue for going on 7 months. Since then I rate the USB higher, I always used coax fed by oppo 103 prior, technically this is their "USB2" implementation. USB 5 was said to be better "sounding" which I have not heard. Either way no drivers required just works... Been using Jriver. Having Unison USB is a major plus on the modius. There's quite a few tracks where the staging and layering of instruments blows my mind with the modi multibit, have not heard it quite like this anywhere else. This is where the differences will be interesting for me.

As far as warm up time on the modi multibit I find from a cold start it only needs like 2-4 hours. After that it doesn't change at all. I just leave it on.

johnny q likes this.
  17. Jon1969

Jon1969 Ozark Hillbilly

Looking forward to user reports floating in...

I've had a Bifrost 2 on order for quite some time to try out a multibit DAC; the virus has messed up production but is supposed to ship soon. I currently use a Modi 3, which I really like and have no complaints; I wonder if I would like Modius better than the Bifrost 2. Decisions!

I'm not a measurement person, it's how it sounds first.

Any thoughts?

18. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

I upgraded from a Modi 3 to a Bifrost 2 last fall. I was determined to check out a multibit or R-2R DAC after reading dozens (hundreds?) of articles and message board testimonials.

I decided to go with a Bifrost 2 with the understanding that I would send it back during the return window if I wasn’t bowled over by its performance. I didn’t return the Bifrost.

YMMV, but you might want to give the Bifrost a shot before cancelling that order.

adamos likes this.
  19. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Bifrost or the Modi MB to a Rega Dac R?

20. Jon1969

Jon1969 Ozark Hillbilly

After reading some of the reviews coming in, I'm going to stick with the B2 for now. Looks like it could be shipping 6-9 according to Schiit.

Dignan2000 and adamos like this.
  21. ssmith3046

I have not heard the Bifrost 2 but have read a lot of good reviews. I wanted a DAC for for older Marantz player so I started with a Modi 3. Can't go wrong for the price. Then I bought a Modi multibit and liked the sound much more than the Modi 3. Later I bought used Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490 DACs. To my ears the Bifrost multibit and Modi multibit sound alike. The Bifrost 4490 and Modi 3 sound alike. Just my observations based on my aging ears. I'm back with a Modi multibit now. My favorite Schiit DAC out of the ones that I have owned. I am curious about the Modius though for $200. If I were going to spend seven hundred bucks on a DAC it would be on the Bifrost 2.

22. ssmith3046

Marantz CD5003>Modius>Magni 3 plus>Sennheisr HD650. That's this setup. Magni 3+ probably has 40 hours on it and the Modius 24 hours. I have been a Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit champion for the cause for awhile. I think that they're great. But, I do believe the Modius is now my favorite. I like it much better than the Modi 3 and Bifrost 4490. Everything I like about the Modi multibit I hear in the Modius but with a different twist to it. I think the soundstage is bigger and deeper. The instruments have separation between them that's really good. I was listening to the 87 CD of the white album and able to focus in on a individual instrument with clarity like never before. For $200 check it out if you're in search for a good deal. There's more I like about it but that's enough from me.

StimpyWan, mikeyt and YtseJammer like this.
  23. bizarrolarry

bizarrolarry Active Member

I've been running the Modius for a few days now, and it's great. While listening with headphones last night, I noticed that in comparison to the DAC I was using before (the built in DAC in my Parasound P5 preamp), I could hear a greater transparency to the source material. Recordings from the 60s and 70s sounded pretty analog, while more recent recordings sounded like they were recorded digitally, which they were. To be clear, I've noticed very little "digital glare" that I've noticed with some DACS, it's more that you can tell a slight difference between an analog and a digital recording if you're really listening closely, due to the transparency. Also, I'm using the balanced outputs on the Modius, which is a nice feature. It's definitely an improvement on the 5-6 year old Burr Brown chip I was using before.

24. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Hmm... am I missing something by having a DAC that doesn't play DSD and much less DoP?

25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Fish tacos.

Right. Even my new Modi 3 is very pleasant sounding and free of dig glare. Listened to digital all weekend without fatigue.