Need a CD player - help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I'm really not a CD guy but I suddenly need a CD player after a gear moving mishap today. I broke my DAC that I used for my Cambridge CXC transport. But I am thinking of moving to a CD player...not a transport...instead of getting the DAC fixed.

I'm out of my element here...please point me in the right direction of a good/great CD player for under $300

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

There's a Yamaha player for $300 that people always mention here, but you'll have to look up the model num.

jeff

Clonesteak and Guy Gadbois like this.
  3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

4. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe Mechanic at Joe’s Garage

There is an Arcam for $250.00 in the For Sale section right now. P.S. not my sale.

scobb and Guy Gadbois like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

6. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

If you really are heading in the direction of a player, I'd pick up the Arcam here in the FS section. Good price for a nice sounding player.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  7. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

If you like Cambridge Audio, why not take a look at their AXC35?

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  8. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

Nad C538, excellent CD player , esp for the price.

Eurofan and Guy Gadbois like this.
  9. Swann36

Swann36 Forum Resident

I'll add a couple of ideas a Cyrus CD player ...really detailed if thats your thing or even a Musical Fidelity i have an A5 cdp which has a warmer feel they are both good value 2nd hand

Guy Gadbois and Fishoutofwater like this.
  10. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Apparently the hardest thing is admitting you have a problem and you need help, so well done! CD Player anonymous is the next step and they can help you kick the habit once and for all.

Fruff76 and Guy Gadbois like this.
  11. Jim N.

Jim N. Get off my lawn, punk, or hear my Mossberg sing!

I've had positive dealings with Apos and they are my go-to for Chinese gear. Be a bit wary of SMSL though as they have had QC issues in the past. Perhaps they have gotten better.

I think the new DAC route is better as timind states unless you are planning to sell your CXC transport to fund the purchase of a CD player.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  12. shug4476

shug4476 Forum Resident

Agree go for a DAC with that money. Some nice ones around these days too.

13. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

c-eling, fogalu and Guy Gadbois like this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've heard that about SMSL. That said, I own two of the SU-8 dacs, they both are working flawlessly for me.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  15. Jim N.

Jim N. Get off my lawn, punk, or hear my Mossberg sing!

Glad to hear it! Maybe they have gotten better. IIRC they and Topping are part of the same company (I have a D90). Topping made a lot of really cheap gear for a long time (like those 30 buck desktop T-amps back in the day).

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

get a schiit dac

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'd like to hear the D90. If I ever see a good deal somewhere I may just buy one.

I bought the SMSL dac at the same time I bought a Topping D70 as I was kind of in the same position as @Guy Gadbois.
    It took me a good 7-8 months to decide I preferred the SU-8. Oddly, I lent both dacs to a friend who preferred the D70 by a large margin. He felt the D70 met all his needs in a dac so he bought one.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Forum Resident

I nabbed a Sony CDP-911E a few months ago for about £60. One of the best hifi bargains I've had. Sounds great, it's now the player I use most, and works an utter treat with my actives.

I think the core thing here is the Pulse DAC that Sony used. Several of their players had it, so I'd seek one of those out. You should be able to find one fairly easily on Ebay too.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  19. DaMoodyBlues

DaMoodyBlues Senior Member

If you can still find one for a decent price, the Onkyo C7030 is a nice player and a decent value. Mine has been bulletproof for over 7 years. Sound great

ben_wood, Guy Gadbois and c-eling like this.
  20. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I've been really happy with my Marantz 8004, which got great reviews when it came out a number of years ago. The 8005 is slightly better I understand. If you want new, you could also look at the current lower-priced Marantz CD players, which a lot of people here really seem really to like. Generally, I think Marantz makes nicely voiced components using above-average quality parts and DACs.

DaMoodyBlues and Guy Gadbois like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Unfortunately they switched converter chips. The Wolfson's no longer in play.
    But agree, excellent sounding player. For his price range request I'd go with that Yamaha 300, nice as well and would never have to worry about pre-emphasis discs :)

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  22. DaMoodyBlues

DaMoodyBlues Senior Member

I don't believe that are any new ones around. I was speaking about the used market. I bought mine in 2014 and knew that they were around new for a few years after that.

Guy Gadbois and c-eling like this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

It'd be tough knowing/tracking one down before the switch. Think someone in another thread verified the manufacture date before the Wolfson was pulled. Can't remember.

Guy Gadbois and DaMoodyBlues like this.
  24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What was the DAC you broke? Since you have the transport - why not get another DAC? CA DAGMagic sounds great. There's always the Schiit Modi/Modius/Multibit in your price range, and Musical Fidelity V90 should be a nice sounding DAC.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I highly recommend the Denon DCD 600NE....well worth $300 :righton:

c-eling and Guy Gadbois like this.