My thoughts on Blue Jeans and Monoprice speaker cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm making some changes in my system and decided to make up some new speaker cables using Blue Jeans BJC Twelve White (5000UE). Due to not ordering enough BJC 12 (Duh :tsk:) I needed to use some Monoprice 14ga speaker cable for a couple of short cable runs (only temporary).

I'm not sure of the actual quality of the copper in both brands but I can say the BJC cables are much easier to work with. When stripping the insulation off of the BJC cables the copper it tightly wound and stays that way. This makes it very easy to work with when applying GLS locking banana plugs. Working with the Monoprice cables was the opposite. When stripping the insulation the copper wire was hard to keep wound and if there was a stray wire it was very difficult to get it to twist in place.

The BJC cable certainly isn't very expensive but is more per foot than Monoprice cable. This is a case where a little extra money spent goes a long way towards avoiding frustration. As far as the sound quality of the BJC cable I would say it is just fine :).

Bill

SandAndGlass, Bill, moops and 2 others like this.
  2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Interesting. Thanks for doing the comparison. I would say Monoprice is more bang for the buck, but the quality of Blue Jeans is better.

3. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

motorcitydave likes this.
  4. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I'd be interested in enlarging the sample size of this thread - anyone with experience with either of these brands, please feel free to chime in - thanks!

5. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

All I've used is BJC for several years. I can't offer any comparisons since I'm not a cable guy, but they are well built, reasonably priced, and ship quickly. That's all I need as far as cables go.

6. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I use BlueJeans speaker cable and interconnects in my main system. I also ordered banana plugs from them recently so I could demo a Nait amp that only took banana plugs at that end of the chain (I always ran bare wire at both ends before). As OP mentioned - the BJ stuff is really easy to work with, the wire is high quality and it was very easy to strip and use with their banana plugs - these are the kind where you fold back the wire around the circular opening and screw the plug into place on top of the wire. Really tight, solid connection and comes with shrink wrap to finish the connection nicely. I've left the plugs in my system so I can easily mess with swapping between the 4- and 8-ohm taps on my Primaluna amp. All in all - couldn't be happier with BJ stuff. Wire is high quality, phono cable is super low capacitance which was nice when I had an AT150MLX on my TT as I've heard the cartridge doesn't like high pF numbers. Sound quality? Great —it's copper and it passes the signal through without changing it, which is all I expect a speaker wire to do.

I also bought a huge spool of Monoprice 18g stuff for my office and also used it in the basement to set up an old surround system for winter on the bike trainer (boo). The outer sleeve is not nearly is nice, but is more flexible (but that's hard for me to compare as I'm using 12AWG in the BJ and 18AWG in the Monoprice). The wire is a little more of a PITA to work with as OP pointed out, but it was dirt cheap so I really have no complaints. I also have a ridiculously long HDMI cable from Monoprice that works just fine and is pretty nice quality - tight connections, decent outer sleeve. Good value for the money.

SandAndGlass, moops and norman_frappe like this.
  7. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I have both the bluejeans interconnects and speaker cable. It's probably safe to say I'll never need to use anything else.

dbsea, SandAndGlass and whaiyun like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm using the thickest speaker cable monorprice sells 12awg without issue, I do not see how it is hard to work with but maybe cuz I never used BJ, their website is very confusing and I cannot tell wtf I am buying... I think monoprice has a better website LOL

John Murray, BuddhaBob and John S like this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Sciolist

I no longer own BJC interconnects (save for one digital cable) but I have a pair of their speaker cables with ultrasonically welded locking bananas. Belden 5000ue that won't lay flat, they are very Stiff! I use them in temporary setups.

10. motorcitydave

How is the digital cable? I would get the Neotech, like I'm doing for everything else (whoops! upgrade spoiler alert! :cop:) but if the BJC is just as good, why not?

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Sciolist

It works fine, Just a piece of belden 1694a 75ohm video cable with Canair 75ohm RCA plugs. Solid not fancy.

Just about everything else in my main system is Kimber cable.

12. motorcitydave

Yeah, I hear ya. I have found that you don't really have to get too crazy over digital cables. :)

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Sciolist

True

14. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I need to a pair of cables about 12ft long to run from my amps variable outs to a servo sub I am getting.

Any suggestions on what to order from BJC?

15. Albert Ellis

Albert Ellis New Member

I have a 25' XLR cable that I have used with my Axiom sub. The cable works fine. They sent the wrong length at first but sent me the right one quickly without any problem. I would recommend them.

16. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Sciolist

BJC LC1 if your going unbalanced. For a sub this should be just fine. Well made sturdy and low capacitance. LC1 is only suitable for analog audio. It is not 75ohm...

17. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I have BJC throughout my rig and love all of it. What a bargain.

octaneTom and norman_frappe like this.
  18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I am not at all ashamed to admit that every interconnect (analog and digital) I have is Monoprice, and they sound just fine. (My speaker cable is bulk 12ga from Home Depot, also sounds just fine.)

At some point I may start playing around with cables, and BJC is likely the first place I would try knowing their reputation for bang-for-the-buck and reasonable prices, but for now knowing that I'm using stuff that, even as inexpensive as it is, is far better than the junk you find in Target or Radio Shack is fine by me. And before I get to cables I have plenty of other things I'd rather spend upgrade money on! :)

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am using BJC 10 gauge Speaker cable in a few systems I have. I am biwiring a couple of my speakers with it, including some long runs. The wire is very durable and high quality. It sounds good and does not break the bank. Highly recommended.

dbsea likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would get the 10 gauge if your terminals are big enough, this is a subwoofer afterall.

21. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Like the original poster said - when I strip and twist the wire strands, the Monoprice stuff just doesn't seem to want to stay together as well as the BlueJeans. That's all I meant. It's not a huge deal, just a little thing.

22. Bill Mac

I don't find the Blue Jeans website to be confusing at all. You just choose the cable you want and the length then it will process what the cost is. Maybe you didn't have an issue using Monoprice speaker cable. But I have used both and BJC cable is much easier to work with and a better cable IMO.

Bill

23. Bill Mac

Definitely not a big deal. But if you are making up multiple speakers cables using the Monprice cable it gets frustrating after awhile trying to get the strands to stay twisted together.

Bill

octaneTom likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Why mess around with Monoprice when the BJC 12 gauge speaker cable is 52 cents a foot. Really, what's the difference for wiring a system, 10 bucks?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Not to argue but is there any discernible difference ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.