Madness all-purpose discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peace N. Love, Mar 12, 2019.

1. octophone

octophone fit and working again

I think they just really struggled without Barson. Although "Mad (Not Mad) had some great songs on it, the arrangements weren't as interesting and that was the main thing they lost - he was their best musician by a distance and not only was he the one who would really drill the group when they were putting the songs together, he would come up with so many of the hooks and counterpoints that made the group's music really catch the ear. Without him, they lost character as well as focus.

So quite why 4 of them decided to give the rhythm section the heave-ho and give it a go as quartet, I have no idea!

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

I remember The Madness doing an interview in '88 and saying that the other 4 were somehow unhappy with Woody and Bedders. Comparing The Madness with everything that came before, they were clearly wrong! I remember thinking that at the time, too.

3. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Thanks django68 for this. Interesting to note the missing 1-2-3's (I guess that's Chas) following the "Close your eyes and count to three" in the released take as well as the guitar solo and more.

List of First Videos Played on VH1

django68 likes this.
  4. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Yep. Obviously an early reference mix, maybe before those parts were recorded. There is also an early mix of House Of Fun, which doesn't even have the chorus - they recorded that seperately.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I like hearing the early mixes and recordings of songs we know. It's nice to notice the missing parts of the songs that were added later.

OneStepBeyond and Peace N. Love like this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

And at that time in 1988, I remember Woody was a member (and initially Bedders, as well) of Voice of the Beehive, which had two very catchy singles that year, I Say Nothing and Don't Call Me Baby. The group was led by sisters Tracey Bryn and Melissa Brooke Belland, daughters of The Four Preps founder and lead singer,Bruce Belland.

List of First Videos Played on VH1

OneStepBeyond and Peace N. Love like this.
  7. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

It seems everything Madness related from the late 90s including The Lot boxset is compressed and brickwalled. Shame.

In my younger years, I had a pair of budget compilations - It's Madness & It's Madness Too. These were a good way to get the b sides as The Business had a lot of annoying voice overs. However I picked up the 1998/1999 editions of these and Madness Too has been brickwalled in this edition. It's not advertised as a remaster but it's way louder.

8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Sheik Madeir

Do you use iTunes?

9. humanracer

no

10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, the talking bits on The Business put a damper on an otherwise-great collection.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  11. humanracer

Madness do that a lot. From what I can remember even the CD editions of Complete Madness and Utter Madness had tracks fading into each other.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  12. humanracer

can anyone kindly post the DR values of a 1991 copy of the "It's Madness too" compilation. I want to find a good quality dynamic version of "In The City" without paying for a CD. I know the later versions of this compilation have poor dynamics so would be good to see how a early 90s version looks. CD VIP is the catalogue number.

13. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Tea-sipping bad boy!

14. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Good to see Chas Smash photographed with some of the band earlier this month:

[​IMG]

Madness Music Walk Of Fame Unveiling - VIP Access
    (L-R) Chas Smash, Mike Barson, Graham McPherson aka Suggs, Mark Bedford and Dan Woodgate of Madness during the Music Walk Of Fame Unveiling on March 02, 2020 in London, England.
    (Source: Getty Images Europe)

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Wonderful!

OneStepBeyond and rediffusion like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond "It's all in the mind, you know..."

Indeed! They almost look Lovestruck... :winkgrin:

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Absolutely.

18. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Shame it’s not the Complete Madness

OneStepBeyond and Man at C&A like this.
  19. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

The Liberty of Norton Folgate is essential!

rediffusion and Man at C&A like this.
  20. rediffusion

Had it ever been established why Cathal left? I’ve heard that him and Suggs has a bust up but I’m not sure why.

21. rediffusion

22. rediffusion

This would most definitely be in my top 5 Madness albums. They even recorded a new song for it...

Madness: Before We Was We

23. rediffusion

24. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy given cane for letting off stink bomb in class

Cheers! Enjoyed that.
    Rise and Fall - one of me favourites.

Paul P. likes this.
  25. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

It was really nice, I happened to catch the original broadcast. I thought that it showed the quality of some of the songs, just naked with the String Quartet.

edenofflowers and Paul P. like this.