Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

His (Solti) Second with the CSO is one of my favorites.

2. Rose River Bear

Spinning this early SACD-
    [​IMG]

layman, ubertrout, Tinian and 3 others like this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

Agreed. Some even seem to have used better tapes.

Soulpope likes this.
  4. HowardLive

HowardLive Forum Resident

The Telarc CD ... is that the album that also includes Grofé’s Grand Canyon Suite — but with actual thunder for Cloudburst? :D

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not only the existing speakers will have to be replaced, I suspect the surround processor has to be redesigned as well to allow signal exchanges to happen between the processor and the "active" speakers ...

6. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Mine is an all Tchai. affair. :)

7. coopmv

The problem with Telarc had always been a dearth of big-name ensembles and soloists. I bought just about all the recordings made by Mackerras and Previn with some Maazel and Dohnanyi and they added up to less than 2 dozens out of some 8,000 CD's (no Telarc LP's) in my collection. Why would I bother with Martin Pearlman and the Boston Baroque when I have AAM/Hogwood, English Concert/Pinnock, ASMIF/Marriner, Amsterdam Baroque/Koopman, Concentus Musicus/harnoncourt, etc. to choose from? SQ alone will not sell when the performance is not first-rate ...

8. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

J.A.W., the DM70's were/are absolutely superb. I was so so so close to buying a 2nd hand pair about 20 years ago. A friend's dad was selling a 'straight' pair because he was considering buying a curved pair - which he claimed sounded better ! The combination of electrostatic tweeter and standard woofer worked well to my ears. It didn't happen and I wonder now if I made a mistake in not grabbing them !! :D

Were yours flat or straight ?? :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Moi aussi!

10. coopmv

:edthumbs:

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had the ones below (wood finish). I wasn't so happy with the performance. The electrostatic units had the nasty habit of blowing up (arcing, which was quite a show with the lights turned off), even at lower volumes, and the woofers didn't sound "right" in combination with the faster electrostatics. They blew up a few times as well, also at lower volumes. My dealer and the owner/CEO of the importer - who got personally involved - had no idea why. The amp was fine, nothing wrong with it, so it wasn't to blame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Wugged, Soulpope and cdgenarian like this.
  12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Quartet, Chronochromie: BBC Symphony/Dorati

Recorded mid to late 60s. Sound is fantastic!

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Listened to two different performances of Schoenberg's Op. 16 (Five Pieces For Orchestra)- Dorati and Boulez. Needed a bit of a "musical dobutamine" ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tinian, ibanez_ax, royzak2000 and 3 others like this.
  14. StarThrower62

Gotta go with the Dorati. Boulez has too many soft edges. Rattle, and Gielen have good recordings as well.

hvbias likes this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This is only my second time hearing Dorati's, Boulez has been the one I've owned for a while. I'm going to hop on Youtube to hear some others, I briefly watched a video performance of Abbado on Schoenberg's Pelleas Et Mellisande but it felt too gentle.

16. coopmv

So you are out of luck if you do not have a SACD player or universal player as redbook CDP cannot play the disk ...

17. StarThrower62

I love the Rattle 2 disc set on Warner Classics. And I bought the Gielen Edition vol 8, Schoenberg/Berg/Webern.

hvbias likes this.
  18. Rose River Bear

That is correct. I thought everyone had an SACD player. o_O:D

19. coopmv

My first two SACD's are single-layered SACD that do not have the regular stereo layer and therefore could not be played in my redbook CDP's. At least I did not put off buying SACD's until I had the player as by the late 2000's, many hybrid SACD's were OOP as well ...

20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Sounds like a poorly implemented feature rather than a bug. Who wouldn't want a built-in visualizer in their speakers? :winkgrin:

cdgenarian likes this.
  21. coopmv

:confused:

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Years later I heard from others who had had the same problems with the electrostatic units. This model didn't last very long, and it was B&W's last electrostatic.

Runicen likes this.
  23. coopmv

Have you heard of Martin Logan, an American speakers company? IMO, it will be difficult for B&W to compete against ML. But who knows, B&W is now an American company as well ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I know the Martin Logan electrostatics, I've heard several of them. I've also heard American KLH gas-filled electrostatics. The B&W DM70 were my first electrostatics, and several others like Phonogen (German), Audiostatic (Dutch) and Quad followed, but none of them worked satisfactorily and I eventually returned to dynamic speakers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  25. coopmv

But the best and the most original American electrostatics is probably Magneplanar. My brother-in-law has a pair he bought over 20 years ago. The only problem is the speakers have no bass and it sounded so much better after I gave him my surplus Yamaha sub when I went to a pair of bipolars that have deep bass. These planar speakers do not exactly have a small form factor either ...

[​IMG]

I used the following CD to test the bass slam of an amp/speakers combo :D

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.