Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Masur recorded the Beethoven 9th a number of times and I have a few of them in addition to the PentaTone SACD box ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An excellent conductor, who used to live a few towns from me but was unfortunately forced out of the NYPO due to politics.

bluemooze and wolfram like this.
  2. coopmv

I need to make a note of this. I have been periodically adding Testament CD's to my collection ...

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my experience Testament CD reissues of EMI recordings often sound better than EMI CDs with the same material, less processing. Haven't compared any Testaments with later Warner reissues.

4. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I don't have this version coopmv. Only the Telarc disc. And I am well aware of warnings given by record companies regarding the real danger of destroying speakers if played too loud. So, I generally play the 1812 at what most would call a wimpy sound level !!

Yep, I'm a coward :D

HowardLive likes this.
  5. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I'm with you on the Beethoven Symphonies set; I sampled it and liked it. Haven't splurged on the box yet though.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The impact of the cannon on the Dorati/Minneapolis SO version of 1812 once destroyed both the electrostatic units and woofers of my B&W DM70 speakers... A very costly affair.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I was hesitant at first, but then I just declared it an early Chistmas present to myself. The two boxes combined go for a special price on the label's site at the moment and that's how they got me. I still paid a bit over €100 for both. And now that I have ripped all audio and video content to my hard drives, I don't really need the big boxes anymore, pretty as they are. :laugh:

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Now on the second CD of Nelson Goerner's Chopin Nocturnes. I wrote about it here. I decided after many listens it was worth buying and it arrived yesterday, this is another digipak where the CD tray holder is very tight, the discs are bending nearly 20 degrees before they come free from the holder. Fortunately I'm making an EAC rip then never removing them again.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  9. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Great symphony by the other Nielsen. Karl Ludolf Nielsen 1876-1939.
    Frank Cramer conducting the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra DeCapo label

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Solti knows his Bartok.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  11. StarThrower62

He can be over the top sometimes, but I like his Bartok, and Brahms. And who wants dainty Bartok? Solti is perfect for this music.

royzak2000 likes this.
  12. StarThrower62

After some listening I can say that the performances sound inspired but the sound is rather bright and hard. My Dutoit set on Apex has warmer, more inviting sound.

13. coopmv

IIRC, Solti once made the comments that on first inspection of some Bartok's score, he was totally lost or confused. So that work had to be good as he concluded ... :biglaugh:

royzak2000 likes this.
  14. coopmv

Just returned from my 1 hour, 4 mile mid-afternoon walk and listened to Symphonies 3, 5 & 8 from the following box from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

15. StarThrower62

Outdoors? Too cold here in NY to walk.

16. coopmv

Sure! I don't have the Y or some gym to go to. It is only 35. I have taken long walk in the mid to high 20's ...

17. StarThrower62

I did winter walks all the time when I was younger but now I hate the cold. I go to the gym.

Eigenvector and Daedalus like this.
  18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

And his Elgar, he found a forward thinking guy. his Mahler one, four and eight are special.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

I like that box set.

20. coopmv

@Rose River Bear, How do you like this SACD Sibelius set by Jarvi on DG. The set is long OOP since DG exited the SACD biz in 2005. This was the first SACD Sibelius set I bought and now I have a couple in that format ...

[​IMG]

Tinian and bluemooze like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I think it is a decent set. I bought it mostly for the surround format but I think there are a couple of real winners on it. The Fourth is really great IMO. Overall though it is a fine set with great sound and performances. The only modern set you would need even considering some of the others.

22. coopmv

Here is an excellent recording IMO. I bought it a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

Many of the DG, Philips and Decca SACD's are fetching top $.

I will go for a surround setup if the wireless option becomes available. I just do not care to have speaker cables strung around the house ...

24. StarThrower62

I love those Mahler symphonies. I'll have to try out Solti.

25. Rose River Bear

Yeah they can be unsightly and a pain when it comes to cleaning. If wireless becomes available, I will convert to it. It probably will never happen.