Classical Corner Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just returned from my 1 hour, 4 mile mid-afternoon walk and listened to Symphonies 3, 5 & 8 from the following box from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Outdoors? Too cold here in NY to walk.

3. coopmv

Sure! I don't have the Y or some gym to go to. It is only 35. I have taken long walk in the mid to high 20's ...

4. StarThrower62

I did winter walks all the time when I was younger but now I hate the cold. I go to the gym.

Eigenvector and Daedalus like this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

And his Elgar, he found a forward thinking guy. his Mahler one, four and eight are special.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

I like that box set.

7. coopmv

@Rose River Bear, How do you like this SACD Sibelius set by Jarvi on DG. The set is long OOP since DG exited the SACD biz in 2005. This was the first SACD Sibelius set I bought and now I have a couple in that format ...

[​IMG]

Tinian and bluemooze like this.
  8. Rose River Bear

I think it is a decent set. I bought it mostly for the surround format but I think there are a couple of real winners on it. The Fourth is really great IMO. Overall though it is a fine set with great sound and performances. The only modern set you would need even considering some of the others.

9. coopmv

Here is an excellent recording IMO. I bought it a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. coopmv

Many of the DG, Philips and Decca SACD's are fetching top $.

I will go for a surround setup if the wireless option becomes available. I just do not care to have speaker cables strung around the house ...

11. StarThrower62

I love those Mahler symphonies. I'll have to try out Solti.

12. Rose River Bear

Yeah they can be unsightly and a pain when it comes to cleaning. If wireless becomes available, I will convert to it. It probably will never happen.

13. Rose River Bear

His (Solti) Second with the CSO is one of my favorites.

14. Rose River Bear

Spinning this early SACD-
    [​IMG]

layman, ubertrout, Tinian and 3 others like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

Agreed. Some even seem to have used better tapes.

Soulpope likes this.
  16. HowardLive

HowardLive Forum Resident

The Telarc CD ... is that the album that also includes Grofé’s Grand Canyon Suite — but with actual thunder for Cloudburst? :D

17. coopmv

Not only the existing speakers will have to be replaced, I suspect the surround processor has to be redesigned as well to allow signal exchanges to happen between the processor and the "active" speakers ...

18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Mine is an all Tchai. affair. :)

19. coopmv

The problem with Telarc had always been a dearth of big-name ensembles and soloists. I bought just about all the recordings made by Mackerras and Previn with some Maazel and Dohnanyi and they added up to less than 2 dozens out of some 8,000 CD's (no Telarc LP's) in my collection. Why would I bother with Martin Pearlman and the Boston Baroque when I have AAM/Hogwood, English Concert/Pinnock, ASMIF/Marriner, Amsterdam Baroque/Koopman, Concentus Musicus/harnoncourt, etc. to choose from? SQ alone will not sell when the performance is not first-rate ...

20. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

J.A.W., the DM70's were/are absolutely superb. I was so so so close to buying a 2nd hand pair about 20 years ago. A friend's dad was selling a 'straight' pair because he was considering buying a curved pair - which he claimed sounded better ! The combination of electrostatic tweeter and standard woofer worked well to my ears. It didn't happen and I wonder now if I made a mistake in not grabbing them !! :D

Were yours flat or straight ?? :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Moi aussi!

22. coopmv

:edthumbs:

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had the ones below (wood finish). I wasn't so happy with the performance. The electrostatic units had the nasty habit of blowing up (arcing, which was quite a show with the lights turned off), even at lower volumes, and the woofers didn't sound "right" in combination with the faster electrostatics. They blew up a few times as well, also at lower volumes. My dealer and the owner/CEO of the importer - who got personally involved - had no idea why. The amp was fine, nothing wrong with it, so it wasn't to blame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Wugged, Soulpope and cdgenarian like this.
  24. StarThrower62

[​IMG]

Quartet, Chronochromie: BBC Symphony/Dorati

Recorded mid to late 60s. Sound is fantastic!

25. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Listened to two different performances of Schoenberg's Op. 16 (Five Pieces For Orchestra)- Dorati and Boulez. Needed a bit of a "musical dobutamine" ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tinian, ibanez_ax, royzak2000 and 3 others like this.