Classical Corner Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Solti. I'm still waiting for the CD. From the little bit I sampled, the recording sounded like it had a very good balance between the piano and orchestra. Some others have very loud, muscular piano sound with weaker orchestral balance. The CD is a Double Decca. The second disc includes the violin concertos performed by Kyung Wha Chung.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Beethoven burn-out or Beethoven overload? So you have the following PentaTone SACD set like myself?

[​IMG]

The Rattle/BPO Beethoven box looks nice. But I do not like Rattle as a conductor ...

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  3. StarThrower62

I ordered a couple De Vriend/Netherlands Beethoven SACD symphony discs. These sound great!

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Vladimir Ashkenazy with Solti/London Philharmonic Orchestra and Kyung-Wha Chung with Solti/Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1), London Philharmonic Orchestra (2).

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Listening to Geza Anda perform a couple of the Concerto warhorses...

Schumann: Piano Concerto
    Berlin Philharmonic & Rafael Kubelik
    Geza Anda, piano
    DG

[​IMG]

Grieg: Piano Concerto
    Berlin Philharmonic & Rafael Kubelik
    Geza Anda, piano
    DG

[​IMG]

The Brahms concerto coupling on the second disc isn't recommendable; the problem appears to be Karajan, who was often something of an insurmountable accompanist. Phrasing isn't in sync, and frankly by the time of this recording (1967) Anda was a bit past his prime. He occasionally sounds taxed in the most challenging passages. Rafael Kubelik proves to be much more sympathetic and in rapport with Anda in both the Schumann and Grieg concertos, though. For a better idea of what Anda can do in Brahms, I'd recommend his earlier (1960) recording with Ferenc Fricsay (also included in the Troubadour box set listed above.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Talking about TACET: while I'm already sitting in the sweet spot and have my Oppo and AVR warmed up, I just went on to these piano trios by Chopin and Gade.

[​IMG]

At least these guys know better than to waste my expensive rear speakers. :D

[​IMG]

ubertrout, bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Totally agreed. The Anda/Karajan combination is not successful, the Fricsay and Kubelík recordings are much better.

HiResGeek likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Combined with our snowstorm on Monday/Tuesday and the so called "dusting" from yesterday (ahem did my best not to do any drifting in the car since I was with my wife/kids :D ) it is very beautiful up here at our lake house, just feels right to listen to Sibelius. Listening to Kullervo from the following CD:

[​IMG]

9. StarThrower62

[​IMG]

Just got this set.

bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  10. coopmv

This Original Masters box looks interesting as I barely have any non-Mozart recordings by Geza Anda ...

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Recently got a few Testament CD reissues of Géza Anda's EMI recordings, directly from Testament; they predate the DG set.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. wolfram

Yes, I've owned this set for many years. I got it soon after I bought my first AVR and Denon SACD/DVD-A player (3930). For a very long time these where the only performances of the symphonies I listened to. When I was a child my mother had an LP of the 9th by Masur and the Gewandhausorchester. When I got my first CD player, it was the first CD I ever bought (along with Pink Floyd's "The Wall").

[​IMG]

ubertrout, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  13. coopmv

Masur recorded the Beethoven 9th a number of times and I have a few of them in addition to the PentaTone SACD box ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An excellent conductor, who used to live a few towns from me but was unfortunately forced out of the NYPO due to politics.

bluemooze and wolfram like this.
  14. coopmv

I need to make a note of this. I have been periodically adding Testament CD's to my collection ...

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my experience Testament CD reissues of EMI recordings often sound better than EMI CDs with the same material, less processing. Haven't compared any Testaments with later Warner reissues.

16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I don't have this version coopmv. Only the Telarc disc. And I am well aware of warnings given by record companies regarding the real danger of destroying speakers if played too loud. So, I generally play the 1812 at what most would call a wimpy sound level !!

Yep, I'm a coward :D

HowardLive likes this.
  17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I'm with you on the Beethoven Symphonies set; I sampled it and liked it. Haven't splurged on the box yet though.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The impact of the cannon on the Dorati/Minneapolis SO version of 1812 once destroyed both the electrostatic units and woofers of my B&W DM70 speakers... A very costly affair.

19. wolfram

I was hesitant at first, but then I just declared it an early Chistmas present to myself. The two boxes combined go for a special price on the label's site at the moment and that's how they got me. I still paid a bit over €100 for both. And now that I have ripped all audio and video content to my hard drives, I don't really need the big boxes anymore, pretty as they are. :laugh:

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Now on the second CD of Nelson Goerner's Chopin Nocturnes. I wrote about it here. I decided after many listens it was worth buying and it arrived yesterday, this is another digipak where the CD tray holder is very tight, the discs are bending nearly 20 degrees before they come free from the holder. Fortunately I'm making an EAC rip then never removing them again.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  21. StarThrower62

Great symphony by the other Nielsen. Karl Ludolf Nielsen 1876-1939.
    Frank Cramer conducting the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra DeCapo label

bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

Solti knows his Bartok.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  23. StarThrower62

He can be over the top sometimes, but I like his Bartok, and Brahms. And who wants dainty Bartok? Solti is perfect for this music.

royzak2000 likes this.
  24. StarThrower62

After some listening I can say that the performances sound inspired but the sound is rather bright and hard. My Dutoit set on Apex has warmer, more inviting sound.

25. coopmv

IIRC, Solti once made the comments that on first inspection of some Bartok's score, he was totally lost or confused. So that work had to be good as he concluded ... :biglaugh:

royzak2000 likes this.