Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I know which box you were referring to and that's also the box I was referring to (the 56CD one), that's why I quoted your post about that mega box. It has a lot of Ciccolini's Satie, way too much for my taste.

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How about the following box? GP highly recommended it and I bought mine at J&R Classical in NYC before that b&m store closed down a number of years ago ...

[​IMG]

This box is now OOP.

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Some great YouTube docs on Sibelius, and Ashkenazy. I watched them last week.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

I have the following repackaged box ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

One and two are just so romantic then he goes all ice.

7. coopmv

Two pianists, Ashkenazy and Barenboim, both turned to conducting. But I like Ashy, both as a pianist and as a conductor. I kind of like Barenboim on the piano but not so much for his conducting ...

8. StarThrower62

I don't know about ice? But no.4 is pretty dark. Still there is much beautiful music.

royzak2000 likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

I never bought anything by Barenboim. I recently ordered the Bartok concertos by Ashkenazy.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't have that box. GP and I have very different tastes, so I'm not sure I'd like it - then again, I've never heard Ciccolini's interpretations of the three composers in the set, so who knows :)

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Please tell me about the Bartok I oddly don't know about them. Who is the conductor.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Actually, I mostly put on Mahler to give myself a break from the Beethoven overkill I found myself in lately. A few days ago I recieved these two boxes from the Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings label and have been listening to them a lot (and also watching some of the video content). These two sets contain the symphonies (Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker) and the piano concertos (Mitsuko Uchida, Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker) in all possible formats: CDs and Blu-rays with all pieces in hi-res stereo and multi-channel, as well as filmed performances also in stereo and multi-channel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know Rattle is not everyone's favourite and the symphony cycle here has gotten mixed reviews, mostly for being unremarkable and old fashioned, but having gotten into these symphonies with the Kurt Masur/Gewandhausorchester recordings from '74, I don't really mind my Ludwig van a bit traditional. And the sound on these sets is great, especially the multi-channel mixes fill the room quite nicely.

And in addition to that I have a new TACET SACD of the violin concerto on the way.

[​IMG]

If I continue like this, I will have a Beethoven burn-out before 2020 even starts. :laugh:

13. coopmv

There is a twofer by Solti

[​IMG]

Alexlotl, bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  14. StarThrower62

Solti. I'm still waiting for the CD. From the little bit I sampled, the recording sounded like it had a very good balance between the piano and orchestra. Some others have very loud, muscular piano sound with weaker orchestral balance. The CD is a Double Decca. The second disc includes the violin concertos performed by Kyung Wha Chung.

15. coopmv

Beethoven burn-out or Beethoven overload? So you have the following PentaTone SACD set like myself?

[​IMG]

The Rattle/BPO Beethoven box looks nice. But I do not like Rattle as a conductor ...

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  16. StarThrower62

I ordered a couple De Vriend/Netherlands Beethoven SACD symphony discs. These sound great!

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Vladimir Ashkenazy with Solti/London Philharmonic Orchestra and Kyung-Wha Chung with Solti/Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1), London Philharmonic Orchestra (2).

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  18. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Listening to Geza Anda perform a couple of the Concerto warhorses...

Schumann: Piano Concerto
    Berlin Philharmonic & Rafael Kubelik
    Geza Anda, piano
    DG

[​IMG]

Grieg: Piano Concerto
    Berlin Philharmonic & Rafael Kubelik
    Geza Anda, piano
    DG

[​IMG]

The Brahms concerto coupling on the second disc isn't recommendable; the problem appears to be Karajan, who was often something of an insurmountable accompanist. Phrasing isn't in sync, and frankly by the time of this recording (1967) Anda was a bit past his prime. He occasionally sounds taxed in the most challenging passages. Rafael Kubelik proves to be much more sympathetic and in rapport with Anda in both the Schumann and Grieg concertos, though. For a better idea of what Anda can do in Brahms, I'd recommend his earlier (1960) recording with Ferenc Fricsay (also included in the Troubadour box set listed above.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  19. wolfram

Talking about TACET: while I'm already sitting in the sweet spot and have my Oppo and AVR warmed up, I just went on to these piano trios by Chopin and Gade.

[​IMG]

At least these guys know better than to waste my expensive rear speakers. :D

[​IMG]

ubertrout, bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Totally agreed. The Anda/Karajan combination is not successful, the Fricsay and Kubelík recordings are much better.

HiResGeek likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Combined with our snowstorm on Monday/Tuesday and the so called "dusting" from yesterday (ahem did my best not to do any drifting in the car since I was with my wife/kids :D ) it is very beautiful up here at our lake house, just feels right to listen to Sibelius. Listening to Kullervo from the following CD:

[​IMG]

22. StarThrower62

[​IMG]

Just got this set.

bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  23. coopmv

This Original Masters box looks interesting as I barely have any non-Mozart recordings by Geza Anda ...

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Recently got a few Testament CD reissues of Géza Anda's EMI recordings, directly from Testament; they predate the DG set.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. wolfram

Yes, I've owned this set for many years. I got it soon after I bought my first AVR and Denon SACD/DVD-A player (3930). For a very long time these where the only performances of the symphonies I listened to. When I was a child my mother had an LP of the 9th by Masur and the Gewandhausorchester. When I got my first CD player, it was the first CD I ever bought (along with Pink Floyd's "The Wall").

[​IMG]

ubertrout, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.