Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. PabloFanques

PabloFanques I understood the assignment.

Just rip the CD's or stream them, no? :shh:

Side note:

I find it's easy to break out the pitch forks and point fingers (I, myself am guilty of this).
    I honestly have no idea who is responsible for the lack of extra material on this particular set.
    I don't want to just blame Giles Martin. He may have been told to make it 5 LP's for all I know. I would be interested to see a timeline of when, and how this got changed to what was officially released. How many incarnations there were in the marketing division, etc.

Crawdad and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Ah, that’s fascinating and a strong reason for me to quickly get the box (and not wait for Christmas)! Love how we keep learning new bits of the Fabs all the time :)

Of all the proper album tracks from the Jan sessions, I guess Billy is missing on For You Blue and Two Of Us. Do we know why? (from the book or the Nagras)

supermd and DK Pete like this.
  3. crossroads69

He definitely needed that break to clear his mind (and it’s obsession with the Wah Wah)! :D

4. crossroads69

Gosh, this is so bizarre! How on earth did the a different master get pressed for disc 4 of the SHM SDE? Apple should offer the correct 1969 mix as a free download to fans who care enough to know this!

kolive, ronbow, Lewisboogie and 10 others like this.
  5. PabloFanques

PabloFanques I understood the assignment.

YES. I can only assume this is the end result of however many plug-ins they have ran it through to obtain even this level of fidelity. Not great, but I would rather it be like this than completely void, and no-noised to death.

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Paul, John and George were not equal guitar-playoers. George was-without a shadow of a doubt -the most versatile of them. That’s why he got the gig in the first place. That s not to say the others were good in their own way.

7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

No boom on my system. You should fill out your system info and some could point out where the issue might lie.

Sgt. Abbey Road and bhazen like this.
  8. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

The hard part of sussing out their relationship is that they were collaborators and friends, but also FIERCE COMPETITORS as well.

It was George Martin who said "Imagine two people pulling on a rope,"

There must have been a constant push and pull there, that is hard to quantify.

I think John saw in Paul an amazing musician and partner that could help make his dreams come true, and Paul saw in John a genius (both in vocal ability and song writing), of which the like he would never encounter again.

9. crossroads69

In hindsight, I think George should’ve played the bass on the track. There wasn’t a lot to do on the guitar and would’ve been interesting to see what John would’ve done from a rhythm guitar perspective. He seemed to be really bored playing bass on those piano tracks in the basement.

Lewisboogie, Zinni and Mike M like this.
  10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I have noticed that every single new cd that I’ve bought recently has no cd info.

11. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

That might have been the case when they formed in the late 50's, and were a rock and roll/rockabilly band, but as the 60's progressed I think they kind of evened out.

Especially after George kind of dropped the guitar in late 66-67 and turned towards the sitar.

For me, the greatest Guitar moments in the Beatles tend to be played or written, by John or Paul.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Reading between the lines of the Giles interviews and the end result of the tracklist, I think it's safe to say Giles is being diplomatic with the press and implying without overtly stating that the edict from Apple was to keep each of the extra CDs under 40 minutes so the same content fits neatly on vinyl.

Obviously the original album remix was going to be its original length of 35 min without bonus tracks added to the main album. And the Get Back LP was handed back over to Johns to remaster, and he wasn't going to tack on bonus tracks to his work, right?

I don't think the amount of content is Giles' fault at all (though the some of the specific track choices could be debatable, as always). I think the decision of quantity came from higher up.

Clearly, this set could have been on 4 CDs instead of 5, combining the CD2 + CD3 into one 72 min CD. But would that guarantee that the set would cost less? That's a big assumption.

Could Get Back single and You Know My Name stereo remix been on the Let it Be EP? Yes. But, it's nitpicking a little at that point. This is a quality set, not perfect, but really cool!

And I'm in the camp that we will see the complete rooftop set as an audio release of some sort. I give that a 80% chance of happening, perhaps timed with the DVD/Blu-ray release of the Get Back film.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Pianoman99, Beatlemen and yardbuzzard like this.
  13. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

now the question is: do the rest of the tracks from that disk (Glyn Johns) are also the correct mixes? My SHM Deluxe box from Japan is delayed but I hope to get it next week.

bigbass, Lewisboogie, supermd and 2 others like this.
  14. mikecarrera

Regarding FOR YOU BLUE GLYN JOHNS MIX 1969 on the Japanese SHM box set:

I have the Japanese track in my hands thanks to a friend who has shared it with me meanwhile my box set arrives. It is not the same EMI master multi-track tape.
    The now exclusive track on the SHM Deluxe Japan Edition has the same sound of 'hiss' throughout the track, with the correct 1969 mix.
    The track in the Deluxe Edition available for the rest of the world has an edit at 00: 15 where the sound changes drastically and another source is inserted, so they did not use the same multi-track tape and chose by mistake the wrong vocal track, but two different sources were used to edit it.

15. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree with you here quite a bit. Nobody ever singles out Big Daddy Apple-Jeff Jones for any criticism; it’s always Giles Giles Giles.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Crawdad and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

What do you mean by 'multi track tape'? Neither version was remixed.

17. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

no, the original plastic that came with it. It was at that point when I wondered about the lenticular cover

18. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

And the people who own the trademark of your avatar are any better?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  19. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

I wonder if that’s the only difference on the Japan CD. We already know from the ‘standard’ CD that there’s other areas where the hiss changes indicating ‘better’ sources have been edited in.

Chris

Lewisboogie and supermd like this.
  20. mikecarrera

it was "implied" a few hours ago by Mr Sulpy that a Multi-track tape was used for this SDE of LIB50th and that both, the Japanese and the Rest of the World editions came from the same multi-track tape but choosing the wrong vocal track, which is incorrect as both are from different sources. And I also doubt a multi-track tape was used.

Lewisboogie and slane like this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm pretty confident that all the Glyn Johns mixes are vintage. There's some editing, but that's it.

22. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Link to Doug's post?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Maybe he wasn’t around for For You Blue but had he been, I’d have loved to hear some nice walking bass from Paul…far as Two Of Us, I don’t hear room for a keyboard…it’s perfect as an acoustic guitar performance.

supermd and crossroads69 like this.
  24. mikecarrera

another forum

Lewisboogie and thrivingonariff like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…so the idea that it will be an actual part of the film isnt a possibility?