Latest Bandcamp purchase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keam, Jul 24, 2020.

1. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I've used bandcamp many times to purchase music, and, actually, have used it myself as a platform to distribute the several albums I've written and recorded in the last 8 years or so. It's a great platform, and i recommend it both for aspiring artists and for msuic fans who want to buy music digitally and have a good portion of the money go to the artist. Note also that bandcamp has been doign a 'first friday of every month' thing where for that day only, they waive their share and all the money goes directly to the artist. Next one is in early August.

Louise Boat, Aftermath and Plan9 like this.
  2. Little update, I'm about to buy some instrumental albums by The Midnight on Bandcamp.
    Yes, my budget right now is approximately zero but I'll get new money next week. So... sod it.^^

3. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

by the way, there are many artists on bandcamp (i'm one) who have 'pay what you want' options, (including pay nothing , no worries!)
    :)

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

5. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

picked up a few earlier this month.

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk "You say you'll change the constitution"

I added this title today.
    [​IMG]
    Adam Nussbaum ‎– The Leadbelly Project

Keam likes this.
  7. mwheelerk

mike s in nyc and Keam like this.
  8. JohnQVD

JohnQVD is adjusting to having a fully manual turntable

Tim Berne is on Bandcamp? Ooh, I’m going to have to go check that out.

I bought ten to twelve things each of the Bandcamp Fridays. The bulk of my new music purchasing since April has been on Bandcamp. Some are the download-only releases, but I’ve ordered a bunch of records, too. July’s purchase was:
    Screaming Females: Chalk Tape (EP)
    Chris Forsyth / Dave Harrington / Ryan Jewell / Spencer Zahn: First Flight
    Matt Borghi: Music for Meditation and Sleep Vol. 10
    The New Mastersounds: 4 Walls (w/Lamar Williams, Jr.) (digital single)
    Jeff Rosenstock: No Dream
    Mdou Moctar: Mdou Moctar Mixtape 3
    Guerilla Toss: Human Girl (single)
    METZ: Acid / Slow Decay (digital single)
    THE GOTOBEDS: Have You Checked the Tapes / Blazing Sun of Youth (digital single)
    Boris: NO
    Deerhoof & Wadada Leo Smith: To Be Surrounded by Beautiful, Curious, Breathing, Laughing Flesh is Enough
    Rob Crow: BLM EPs (series of 3 EPs)

I’m sure I’ll have 8 more things on my wishlist by next Friday.

Rob C, Claude and RonChrysler like this.
  9. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

No, he is an acquired taste, for sure, and not for those with short attention spans (12 minutes is a short piece). But once you crack the code and figure out what he's about, there's nothing better. It's analogous to working brain teasers or puzzles to me. Never is boring to these ears.

He's been really generous this year (8 or 9 records released, depending on how you count), and I use that "pay what you want" option to put some extra dollars in his pocket with every purchase. Another one I'll recommend on Bandcamp is the live set by Broken Shadows, which is a quartet of Berne and Chris Speed on their horns, with the rhythm section of the Bad Plus, doing the music of Ornette Coleman, Julius Hemphill, Dewey Redman, & Charlie Haden. I saw them 3 times last fall, and they tore it up every time.

Rob C and j4yheindeo like this.
  10. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Forum Resident

I don't have any Berne that does not involve Torn. It's only the Sun of Goldfinger release and the TORN:FUR release that I've bought from 9Donkeys.

Rob C likes this.
  11. So... these are my recent purchases. Nice Synthwave stuff. Got this all yesterday night:

- The Midnight - Endless Summer (Instrumental Album) + the instrumental tracks from the standard album
    - The Midnight - Nocturnal (Instrumental Album) + the instrumental tracks from the standard album
    - The Midnight - Arcade Dreams (TimeCap 1983 Remix) (single)
    - Jessie Frye - Fantastic (single)
    - At 1980 - Missing You (single)
    - At 1980 - In The Air (single) too bad there's a limit of 5 pics per post, so no picture of this is shown here.^^

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Aftermath likes this.
  12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. Ooh nice! Instrumental Post-Rock... Will have to check it out. Thanks!

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Sure thing! :righton:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

The long-awaited new Pernice Brothers record Spread the Feeling is only available on Bandcamp, I believe, and it's up to the usual high standards of that group. And Joe Pernice also has a solo disc up now.

I would also highly recommend the Richard Thompson EP.

Going to look into some of the other suggestions posted here. Thanks for the Lisa Mychols one. I love her stuff, but it's all over the place.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I did not see that collaboration coming. o_O

Thanx!

17. dbucki

dbucki Forum Resident

Exactly what I was going to post. Saying something is FLAC is not enough.

Chilli and Craig like this.
  18. _David_

_David_ Forum Resident

Keam likes this.
  19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Most of my recent Bandcamp purchases have involved the Vapour Trails, a jangly Scottish power pop group that recently sprouted. But looking at my purchase history, my latest Bandcamp purchase is "Love Song 26," by local band Starbelly, featuring keyboards and backing vocals by Jellyfish alumnus (and current Lickerish Quartetian) Roger Joseph Manning Jr.

I've also relied on Bandcamp for most of my K.C. Bowman catalog. He records with various oddly-named outfits (Preoccupied Pipers, Agony Aunts, Vinny's Vipers, Fireproof Sam and the Network Stars, etc.) and much of the material can be downloaded for free. Not the most lucrative business model, but Bowman rivals They Might Be Giants in terms of blending exquisitely catchy tunes to (sometimes) deeply quirky lyrics.

20. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Forum Resident

Yesterday they had another first Friday of the month Bandcamp Day when 100% of the proceeds go to the artists. Look for another one on Sept. 4th.
    Here's what I got:
    This is what I ended up getting:
    improvisation (Gavino Murgia) by Michel Godard
    improvisation II (Gavino Murgia) by Michel Godard
    The Extinct Suite / Corridor LP ... by Steve Jansen
    Giornale Di Bordo by Paolo Angeli / Hamid Drake / Antonello Salis / Gavino Murgia
    Shapeshifters by Reuter Motzer Grohowsky
    Percy Jones & MJ12 by Percy Jones, Stephen Moses, Chris Bacas, David Phelps​

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

My latest is The Rentals - Q36. Pre-ordered the double LP gold vinyl. Patiently waiting still. The preorder has high res downloads but I cant wait to play the vinyl.

Also got Ollie Wride - Thanks In Advance on cassette when it was available. Excellent homage to 80s synth pop on the NewRetroWave label.

22. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

My Friday bandcamp purchase was:
    Carla Bozulich - Red Headed Stranger
    A pretty amazing and weird re-imagining of the Willie Nelson classic. Featuring Nels Cline on guitar and a cameo from Willie himself.

vamborules, CraigVC, _David_ and 2 others like this.
  23. Louise Boat

Louise Boat "all of you fascists bound to lose"

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This months honorees...

New modern jazz, highly recommended:
    Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse
    Shabaka Hutchings (in three distinct ensembles)
    - - - Shabaka and the Ancestors
    - - - Sons of Kemet
    - - - The Comet Is Coming

Zorn-related, to one extent or another; eclectic:
    The Modulators (Brian Marsella)
    FREAKDOM
    Gulgoleth
    Bret Higgins’ Atlas Revolt

Rob C likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

These I have and very much enjoy