Latest Bandcamp purchase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keam, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Keam

Keam I can still hear you Thread Starter

At this point, I think I should specifically show off what I bought:

I bought "Autumn Gold" by Chris Rawlings. It's a collection of old demo-cuts and live performances from his long career as Canadian folk musicians. A lovely redtrospective of sort for his reasonably sparce catalouge over a long career.

The album I'm getting as a bonus is Northern Spirits , which is an album with all original material from 2014. It speaks about Amelia Earhart, UFOs, bribed record label bosses and more. Very nice.

Plan9 likes this.
  2. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

2 latest purchases came from Porcupine Tree's 1994 live and 1997 Coda shows!

3. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Love a bit of bandcamp. Just wish it would tell you the resolutions available before you pay? I'd like to keep a primarily HiRes collection and it doesn't really help. But that's a minor bugbear from a tiny corner of the music buying world!

Ham Sandwich and Dave 81828384 like this.
  4. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Oh, and the last purchase was the Best of Bella Hardy. And lovely it is too.

Keam likes this.
  5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Yo La Tengo - We Have Amnesia Sometimes

Keam likes this.
  6. Keam

Keam I can still hear you Thread Starter

I thought it said? When I boight it said I could download in FLAC, Wav, MP3, etc. But I maybe a bit thick, I'm not really a very good expert on digital quality.

Louise Boat likes this.
  7. Kate_C.

Kate_C. Meadow Party 2020

I'm almost certain that I've always been presented the same following menu of format options across my 61 purchases:
    • MP3 V0 - 126MB
    • MP3 320 - 131.9MB
    • FLAC - 261.8MB
    • AAC - 93.9MB
    • Ogg Vorbis - 84.5MB
    • ALAC - 263.5MB
    • WAV - 444.2MB
    • AIFF - 423MB

Louise Boat likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I wish Bandcamp would indicate this too, but certain artists already do.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Those are formats, not resolutions (think 24bit / 48kHz, 88.2kHz, etc...).
    The file sizes indicate those are all probably 16bit/44.1kHz.

Keam and trickness like this.
  10. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Jim O'Rourke's "Shutting Down Here", a joint release by Editions Mego and INA/GRM. It's a masterpiece and, if one cares about such things, a high resolution download (24/96, if I recall correctly).

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Dave Alvin set, even tho I had most of it

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  12. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I have made 112 purchases on bandcamp, the first being Washington Parks, a digital track by Ash & We Are Scientists in january 2012, the last being the 14th Coronavirus Live Set by Ballboy this month

c-eling likes this.
  13. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

the most famous release I bought was probably Radiohead Minidiscs Hacked.

Louise Boat and Beamish13 like this.
  14. RonChrysler

RonChrysler Forum Resident

Tim Berne and David Torn started a digital-only record label called 9 Donkeys (a subsidiary of Tim's own Screwgun label) back on May 1. They've released 6 records already, all made available through Bandcamp. The last one I got was called "Congratulations to You" by the trio Sun of Goldfinger (Berne - alto & bari sax, Torn - guitar & loops, and Ches Smith - drums & electronics). It is brilliant & dark. I bought it the same day I bought Richard Thompson's "Bloody Noses" EP.
    Bandcamp works well as a media player and as a music management app. I am a top tier subscriber to Dave Douglas' Greenleaf Music record label, and he makes every Greenleaf release available to me on Bandcamp for streaming anytime. I only wish I could upload the 50-plus Tim Berne releases I've purchased over the decades, as well as the massive Richard Thompson collection in which I've invested. That's where it suffers as a media player. But as a way for artists to sell their music, it allows the artist to keep more of the dough from the transaction. I've heard Tim say that Spotify is theft of the artist, and that Bandcamp allows him to make a meager living. He's the one artist I'm continuing to patronize and support financially during this time that my own earning has significantly dropped. Love him.

j4yheindeo, Keam and DaveinMA like this.
  15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Keam likes this.
  16. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

17. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  18. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

My last purchase - Tim Showalter of Strand of Oaks just put out a really cool ambient album for charity called Ambient for Change

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Keam likes this.
  19. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

20. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

A download of the new X album, Alphabetland - it's very good!

21. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Forum Resident

I bought that one on the day of release but it wasn't my latest purchase, so I didn't mention it. I already had the title track as an unauthorized download. Absolutely great, but not for everyone--or for most people, for that matter.

22. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Well-Known Member

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks for that. You had me at Ches Smith. I only have a few Torn-related titles, and I look forward to find out who Tim Berne is (I don't get out much).

I'll reciprocate with Bandcamp's section for Chant Records. Excellent, eclectic avant-world selection. You'll find a number of Zorn-related artists in their roster.

Chant Records

Can't wait for the August 'Friday' event. Got more on my want-list than I can afford. But I'll show up.

RonChrysler likes this.
  24. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

My 2020 favorite album so far...and on vinyl: The Innocence Mission ‎– See You Tomorrow
    One on my favorite artist, formerly of Majical Cloudz, again on vinyl: Devon Welsh ‎– True Love

BlueTrane likes this.