Latest Bandcamp purchase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keam, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Keam

Keam I can still hear you Thread Starter

As per title!

I did my first ever purchase on Bandcamp today (though I signed up a while ago), and it was a very fun and pleasent experince. Additionally, it appears I was very lucky - I just got a message from the artist not only thanking for the kind message I included with the order and saying he'll put it in the mail today, but saying I'll recieve a bonus. Apparently he had a gently used play copy of another of his albums, which he will include - the album I just so happened to have chosen not to order so I could afford the one that I did.

In short, I am a very happy camper who'd like to hear what other people are buying on this great site!

Plan9 likes this.
  2. Django

Django Forum Resident

The new vinyl Williams LP Azure. Via the French record labels page. It was sold out on his band camp & post from the US would be too much.
    Still waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Keam likes this.
  3. Keam

Never heard of it but I'm sure it's good music. Here's to hoping it'll come soon - I know how the wait kill you!

4. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

The new Jon Hassell album, and the latest by Lawrence Pike. Downloads.

Keam likes this.
  5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Forum Resident

Keam likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I wish people would order on Bandcamp more, it's really the best stream/download/purchase site in my opinion.

8. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

Rose City Band- Summerlong splatter vinyl lp.
    Rose City Band- Portland Protest Bail Fund shirt.

domesticmachine and Keam like this.
  9. Keam

It is really great! I am so happy I finally took the plunge. If I was more into digital downloads I'd probably have bought something a long time ago already.

10. Alex D

Alex D Forum Resident

Porcupine Tree-Live in Los Angeles 2003 download. An absolutely killer performance and sounds great.

trickness, Plan9 and Keam like this.
  11. Keam

A good mix fun and serious matters combined, via n artist you like. You're obviously a sensible person.

Lilmoxie likes this.
  12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Absolutely. I’ve gotten amazing merch and signed stuff, including handwritten letters from artists

BryanW and Keam like this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Only got into it recently and already have 30 items in my collection. Love it when artists like William Basinsky or Cloud Nothings or Boris release download only material.
    Best bit is that the artists get the lions share of the money you spend. Looks like they'll be continuing the Artists Friday monthly thing (where artists get 100% of sales)until the end of the year.
    Last purchase: Ejector Seat Reservation (Happening edition) by Swervedriver.

Plan9 and Keam like this.
  14. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

Richard Thompson - Bloody noses.
    The first time I purchased at bandcamp. And what a great one.

15. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets: Live At Haw River Ballroom

Fantastic career-spanning set from Nick Lowe, and with Los Straitjackets behind him, so many classics are given brand new arrangements! Especially love the versions of "So It Goes" and "Heart of the City" on this one. Plus Nick closes the show with an acoustic version of Elvis Costello's "Alison" that's absolutely dazzling.

Great album! Her sound is amazing.

16. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Old Flowers - Courtney Marie Andrews (2020)

17. ralphb

I get the downloads, so I get e-mails.:laugh:
    Best one was a long thank you note that Henry Rollins sent out to everyone who bought the Boris download.

Keam likes this.
  18. Keam

Oh I'm still trying to build up to get that one. As I mentioned, I am not really big with digital downloads and I just haven't been able to make myself click buy... But I should. Because I love his acoustic stuff best and if his live streams are anything to go by it'll be amazing. Plus I've really come to love Zara too.

barking spider likes this.
  19. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Ladytron - "Ladytron" 2019

Saw them live in Portland in December, instant fanboy, got their record on Bandcamp right away like a good little stalker groupie.

Great Brit electrosynth pop, Brian Eno loves them, some high kudos:

Maurice, Keam and Beamish13 like this.
  20. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Love Bandcamp. My favorite platform to buy music on.

My last purchase was in late June and it was Lights - How to Sleep When You're On Fire. I bought it on one of Bandcamp's no fee day that they have been doing lately.

Keam likes this.
  21. Keam

Interesting. Seems many artists have been using the time to record. Most of my favourite has not, but they I've been all the more active live streaming.

Many things might be horrible about the current situation, but I think for creativity it has been a good motivator.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  22. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident forum

Great thread! I can’t believe it didn’t exist already. Thanks for the cool suggestions. I’ll make sure to follow this thread as I often scan The Bandcamp app while working. Great alternative to Spotify and often you can hear albums a few times before purchasing.

Ive been picking up a ton of LPs and downloads of two local Portland labels lately.

Mississippi Records
    Eclectic folk, world, punk and more including Alan Lomax archival music. This anthology of African guitarist Jean Bosco Mwenda is amazing. Plenty others to check out at the label site. A lot of the LPs are sold out but check their website or pick them up digitally. It’s an amazing record store if you’ve never been in. The owner keeps prices low and there’s seemingly always something amazing in the $2 bin. It has the charm and personality of a pre-internet record shop, somehow staying afloat in 2020, mostly based on its deep roots to the local community.
    Jean-Bosco Mwenda (1952-1962), by Jean-Bosco Mwenda

Sahel Sounds
    Several artists and bands on this label that features African artists and reissues have reached international notoriety and I’m still most upset at missing Les Filles de Illighadad on their west coast tour this spring out of any of the concerts that were canceled due to the pandemic.

This Tidiane Thiam LP is gorgeous solo guitar. The LP is pressed well and on headphones you can hear the ambience of night time crickets as he plays.
    Siftorde, by Tidiane Thiam

whisper3978, speedracer and Keam like this.
  23. ralphb

Another good thing is that a lot of artists give fairly detailed notes on the release, sometimes more than you would get with the physical purchase.

Plan9, WithinYourReach and Keam like this.
  24. Keam

Indeed they do. I often turn to bandcamp to read up on albums after streaming it on Spotify or if I got hold of a CD somewhere.

ralphb likes this.
  25. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Keam likes this.