LA music tourist suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tgreg, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, oddly..didn't see a thread about LA music tourist destinations, i.e. the whiskey, etc. Can someone recommend some good locations to see?

A friend recommend these:

Sunset Blvd: Whiskey Roxy Rainbow -Laurel Canyon, A &M RCA Capitol, Canters Deli

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

The Baked Potato, if you want a nice intimate and cool evening with lots of jazz (and baked potatoes) - lots of name players show up there

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Tower Records on Sunset Blvd
    - pause for a moment of silence

4. Tgreg

bump; sorry..I searched and couldn't find anything..and wanted to ask the music experts here. Appreciate any insight

5. Tgreg

So is West Hollywood the "hippest" place to go..it looks like most of the legendary music places, etc. were there.

6. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

If you're a Beatles fanatic, there's Blue Jay Way........(though don't know which house George Harrison stayed at).

tug_of_war, Fullbug and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  7. lightbulb

Venice Beach.. where one beautiful summer day in 1965, fate intervened and brought together Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek as they strolled on the beach.
    That very moment... The Doors were born.”

Fullbug and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  8. lightbulb

“...The Beach Boys Historic Landmark commemorates the site of the childhood home of Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys.
    The monument, located at 3701 W. 119th Street, Hawthorne, California, stands on the former location of the Wilsons' house, which was demolished in the mid-1980s during construction of the Century Freeway.
    Music industry notables such as Dick Clark and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were among the letter-writers who supported the BBHL's landmark application process.”

Then, be sure to go on a Surfin’ Safari, where you can Catch A Wave and enjoy The Warmth Of The Sun.

9. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller

Canter's is good.

Also recommend:

The Baked Potato, particularly if Mike Landau is playing

Largo, look for a Jon Brion Friday, if possible

Amoeba Records

CD Trader on Ventura

Norm's Rare Guitars, right across the street from CD Trader

Record Surplus down on Santa Monica

georgespigott and Fullbug like this.
  10. Tgreg

Anyone know best way to tour Laurel canyon?

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tgreg likes this.
  12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Ash Grove (music club) - Wikipedia

The Ash Grove was a folk music club located at 8162 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, California, United States, founded in 1958 by Ed Pearl and named after the Welsh folk song, "The Ash Grove."

In its fifteen years of existence, the Ash Grove altered the music scene in Los Angeles and helped many artists find a West Coast audience. Bob Dylan recalled that, "I'd seen posters of folk shows at the Ash Grove and used to dream about playing there...."chronicles volume one by bob dylan The club was a locus of interaction between older folk and blues legends, such as Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Earl Hooker and Muddy Waters, and young artists that produced the 'Sixties music revolution. Among those Pearl brought to the Ash Grove were Doc Watson, Pete Seeger, June Carter, Johnny Cash, Jose Feliciano, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez, Johnny Otis, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Ian and Sylvia, Kathy and Carol, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee, New Lost City Ramblers, The Weavers, The Greenbriar Boys, Lightnin' Hopkins, Luke "Long Gone" Miles, Barbara Dane, Holly Near, Arlo Guthrie, Rising Sons, Mance Lipscomb, Guy and Candie Carawan, John Jacob Niles, Bukka White, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Shines, John Fahey, Willie Dixon, Lonnie Mack and Kris Kristofferson.​

[​IMG]

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Palomino Club (North Hollywood) - Wikipedia

The Palomino Club was a music venue in the North Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles. It opened in 1949 and was the best-known country music club in Los Angeles for decades, closing in 1995. It was called "Country Music's most important West Coast club" by the Los Angeles Times and named national Club of the Year by "Performance" touring talent trade magazine. It featured such performers as the Everly Brothers, Rick Nelson, Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, Delaney Bramlett, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Johnny Carver, Jerry Jeff Walker, Hoyt Axton, Tanya Tucker, and Willie Nelson, and was also a popular hangout for other country entertainers such as Merle Haggard and Jerry Lee Lewis. Lewis played there at least once a year from 1957 to 1987. Elvis Presley at least once strolled in unheralded and took in a set.​

[​IMG]

Tgreg likes this.
  15. Deja Doh

Deja Doh Forum Resident

The Hollywood Palladium and The Pantages and The Avalon (formerly The Palace) are in the area. For the Palace (now Avalon), is where the Ramones performed their last show.

The Troubadour and Dan Tana's for some Italian right next door.

lightbulb and Tgreg like this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  17. Tgreg

18. Tgreg

Unless I'm over looking it, it is amazing that there isn't a music focused tour, like there is for Hollywood...saw whiskey, Roxy...too bad you can't just go in and look.i would have thought that some of these places would market their history, more... With merchandise, tours, etc.... apparently they don't "have" to and are vibrant clubs..going by troubadour tommorow, hope I can look around

Fullbug likes this.
  19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

jamesmaya and Fullbug like this.
  20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Some enterprising forum members should organize a tour company in LA. There's a company (maybe more than one) that takes tourists to sites of Hollywood scandals and deaths, so why not music oriented sites? Granted, Hollywood has a larger audience than music, but I think there's a market for that type of tour. I'd go there once or twice to month to handle a weekend shift on the bus!

jamesmaya likes this.
  21. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

Another vote for Amoeba Records and the Capitol Records building. I quite liked the Grammy Museum

You can go visit the final resting place of Johnny Ramone at Hollywood Forever.

22. Newbos

Newbos Active Member

Pamela des Barres does LA tours of rock landmarks with her own inside commentary. Great fun.

23. Tgreg

no tours pending and I"m leaving tuesday.....do you know the best way to see laurey canyon? I assume uber to the canyon store and look around?

24. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Tgreg likes this.
  25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Sassafras & Moonshine

I'd love to see Sound Recorders Studio but it's no longer there...