Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine still hasn’t come. My mates did though. Only half an hour drive away :realmad:

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Sorry, the Water's Edge. My mistake.
    It's an easy mistake to make because "The Water's Edge" is a musical piece co-written by a Scottish-born, folk-influenced musician named Ian who at one point lived in Skye, whereas "The River's Edge" is a motion picture starring the daughter of Donovan, a Scottish-born, folk-influenced musician, whose name is Ione Skye. (The River's Edge also starred two actors who appeared in very different comedies about time travel.)

footlooseman and Plan9 like this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

And it sounds pretty crappy. I realize people aren't buying these sets for the live material. But a good sounding concert would make them that much better.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. sound chaser

sound chaser Forum Resident

If they're anything like those I got with my 'Stormwatch' t shirt, they're crap. Just focus on the wonderful music :).

Alan57 and Norco74 like this.
  5. folkfreak

folkfreak Forum Resident

I wouldn't say crappy, but the boots sound better to me, just a tad smoother and more earpleasing. So if they had the tapes released just as they got them instead of fiddling with them it would have been perfect.

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I think this is a case of different thresholds for “crappy”. Which is ofcourse fine.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  7. Norco74

Norco74 You can tell me by the way I walk...

They are as good as the ones you will find in any pub. Not a deluxe item just a nice to have. I wonder if they can be professionally laminated.

Music is where the focus should be.

8. Norco74

We are on an audiophile forum here so yes various threshold of SQ rating and tolerance.

I cracked up the box set shrink wrapping a few minutes ago and directly went to spin to the live set. I prefer to listen to the lower SQ stuff first. Didn’t have too much expectations as I read too many negative comments about it on this thread.

Aside a few irritants, the SQ of the live set is rating from good to very good/excellent. In the old days of boot ratings that would have deserve an 8 to 8.5 on a scale of 10. Yes you can clearly hear the patchwork in some areas but I rather have this than nothing.

As for the performance itself, it is excellent. The band is tight and Martin seems on fire and outperformed himself in many solos.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Six Bachelors, xj32, Macca75 and 4 others like this.
  9. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

The pig rules! :righton:

Sydster and footlooseman like this.
  10. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Forum Resident

I got a Stormwatch postcard, a Burning Shed postcard, and some Stormwatch, TAAB, Aqualung and SFTW and Burning Shed beer coasters. Nothing was signed, though the coasters bear a printed IA signature.

Norco74 likes this.
  11. Norco74

I wrongfully assumed that all coasters were the Stormwatch ones. Just had a closer look. W0w! Thank for the info!

12. Kim Olesen

Good ole swinging pig.

13. folkfreak

folkfreak Forum Resident

No. Swinging pig only stole that logo.

Deek57 and Kim Olesen like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Well they were bootleggers after all....

15. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

I’m struggling to understand how this item has risen in price from £35 to £49 within the past few days in Fopp in Glasgow. Some other prices have risen noticeably as well.

16. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

It's all been odd, remember it 'sold out' pre-sale for those like me who bought it on day of release. And this is one of the bands lesser albums (not by me it's a masterpiece)
    It's unfortunate, but as these boxes have been slowly released over the last 5 years or so, their abundant availability disappeared after the release of Songs from the Wood, which was the first, and was then the current release. Their new release price has been creeping up too.

The previous available ones were snapped up, maybe a mix of latent Tull fans realising they were actually limited and scalpers. Apart from Heavy Horses, and TOTRAR, their prices are high on discogs and astronomical on Amazon. There are a lot dealers snapping this up, and stores like Fopp getting what they can for them.

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought watchers of the storm sounded pretty good. I assume the live stuff is a different recording because I doubt it would sound worse remixed :cool:

18. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I'm amazed that Burning Shed customers got their set so late. I'm in the US and got my Amazon UK order before Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. I've bought from BS many times before also and they usually get their orders out very promptly. AmUK's price was so low I couldn't resist (about $35 shipped), but due to their pushed back shipping dates and the uncertainties re this release, I got antsy and ordered one from Amazon US at the more expensive cost, but I got that right after release date on Oct 20..So now I have 2. Guess I'll see how the supply goes for this one. The last few book sets seemed to be in plentiful supply (This Was, Heavy Horses), so I'm a bit befuddled what the deal is with the supply and distribution issues re Stormwatch.

I wonder if they overestimated the demand for Heavy Horses due to the success of Songs From the Wood, thus leaving too many unsold, and then because of that they printed far less quantities of Stormwatch...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  19. Kim Olesen

They may have futzed with the mastering (i don’t know, i haven’t got Watchers) but to my knowledge it is the same performance/recording.

20. culabula

culabula One-time Boulevardier.

You wouldn’t have had to pay any postage on an item costing that much.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    bobcat likes this.
  21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’ll be watching my post office like a hawk this week!
    My last parcel from Burning Shed (Dukes of Stratosphear aka XTC) sat down there for nearly 2 weeks without any notification! I discovered it was there 1 day before it was due to be shipped back!

PROGGER likes this.
  22. Cipresso

Cipresso Forum Resident

Thanks physical record stores...I’ve bought this beauty in Torino, Italy, from one of the few remaing huge record/cds stores, and, having a throughout look in this store, I discovered more deluxe boxes...Aqualung (My 2nd copy) and Minstrel for 30 euros each, Stand Up for 42, seems I got lucky;) Hooray!

23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The irony being that on the SFTW and HH sets there were two (mostly) complete concerts from multi-tracks and, shall we say, the mixes were a bit...average. Not bad, just...dull...somehow. Sometimes soundboards have a bit of spice that multi-tracks, mixed decades later, seem to lack.

24. folkfreak

folkfreak Forum Resident

It is in parts the tape that was used for watchers on the storm but 1 or 2 generations earlier. So in fact it is of better quality, but then needlesly fiddled with.

25. culabula

culabula One-time Boulevardier.

May I ask the name of the shop and where it is located in Torino ?