Is this room treatment worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by insoc123, Sep 23, 2020.

1. insoc123

insoc123 Active Member Thread Starter

Hello. As I'm a firm believer that room acoustics plays a great part in how good a system could sound, I've hired an acoustic firm in my country (from the very, very few that actually exist) to treat the room in my house where I have my stereo, at one side and my HT at the other side. Is a room I've dedicated in my house to for that matter and I only use it a night when my daughter is asleep. It's not a perfect room and there are some parts that I just can't modify. One part is a closet I have on the right side and the other parts some windows and a door. They are offering me to change the door to an "acoustic" one and also the windows. I'm showing you some photos of the renderings they made and what could be the result. They are charging me $6,000 including the "acoustic" sealed windows at $1,500. I'm willing to spend that money for the sake of having a good sounding room, MY FEAR is what if they are only focusing on absorption of echoes? Any questions I should ask them? They came to my house, did some measurement with a "gun" they shoot at the floor while the other engineer held a special mic that has a display, and they show me an eq graph and the problems of echoes I had. They are specialized in treating recording studios, music halls, etc but just a few individual rooms like mine. That's understandable because not many people would like to pay that much just for having their room treated, heck, most of the people wouldn't even pay $6,000 for a home stereo but I guess there a very few audiophiles and music equipment lovers in my country.
    Anyway, I would love some comments and insight from you including suggestions and questions I should ask them. In my ignorance, as the engineers made special emphasis on the echoes, I fear they could be letting aside other factors that should be corrected apart from the echoes. That's why I think the photos of what they propose should help. They are using PVC, fiberglass and the windows are made from hermetically sealed double-glazed. Excuse the translation from Spanish to English LOL.

Thank you a lot!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. insoc123

Any help for uploading the photos will be greatly appreciated!

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I can't get the second one.

[​IMG]

Nathan Z, insoc123 and ubiknik like this.
  4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

5. insoc123

Here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony-A likes this.
  6. insoc123

The other two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. insoc123

Last one:

[​IMG]

8. insoc123

I think that's all of them. Thank you very much!!!

9. insoc123

The RED doors you see are the CLOSET.

10. jonwoody

jonwoody Forum Resident

Are those photos pre or post room treatment? Because that room looks like it has a lot of room treatment panels in place. Gorgeous room btw.

Edit: Aha I thought your closet doors were acoustic panels!

Also can you detail your gear?

insoc123 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. ghost rider

I got a lot of DIY help here years ago.

Home Audio Acoustics

Your room looks fantastic. The pictures went up when I was searching for the link. I'm no expert but having more stuff in the room can do a lot. You already have a lot of 2 inch thick panels. I didn't see any bass traps. Corner traps might be helpful. The link I posted is monitored by an expert and you could get a more informed opinion.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    insoc123 and timind like this.
  12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I always wonder why so many leave hardwood floors untreated with area rug, particularly right in front of the speakers..

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

No

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Not sure, but (yes, an area rug might be a good thing too) I've looked at some kits which may be worth trying for <<$6000 ... maybe they're already charging you for the measurements and design of the system though. I had a smaller room (about 13' square) that I was going to try to use with a 'kit' but never even set things up. Now I have a large room that I can play with ...

I was looking at London 12 - Primacoustic it's $800 thru various resellers Primacoustic London 12 Acoustic Room Kit - Beige

For music, seems like a 'live end/dead end' approach is sometimes recommended, with absorption behind the speakers (dead end) but more diffusion behind the listener (live end). This is what the kit above addresses. I think the panels one puts behind the listening position are diffusors and spread the sound around ...

With a 'double-ended' system like you're trying to do ... I don't know what to say.

insoc123 likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Wait - didn't I see this room a few weeks ago with some Magnepans displaced into it? Or was that another poster?

I didn't check, posting off the cuff on this one...

16. insoc123

Hi. No, first time I post these renders. My actual room look very almost identical but without the panels. The stereo and ht system are pretty much the same but they simplified a lot in the renders.

17. ghost rider

So all the panels are part of the proposal, not installed yet.

I think getting rid of the glass doors will help heavy draperies and padded rugs will help a lot. Plush padded furniture will also help.

I think it's good to learn as much as you can. I see your room having bass issues loads of standing waves. All the 2" panels will do little to nothing for bass. I couldn't tell for sure from the pictures are there thick bass traps in the corners behind the speakers?

If you go to the link I posted and look for REW "room equalizer wizard" you can get the equipment, mainly a USB microphone and a steep learning curve. You could take readings for yourself and post results and get feedback.

Also I think you need think corner traps in all 4 corners possibly 6+ inch thick traps away from the walls and if all the wall panels were installed in a way that they stand away from the walls a couple inches they would be more effective. Also to get the best sound may likely require a less aesthetically pleasing room everything thing else will be a compromise.
    But like I said in my first post I'm no expert!

insoc123 and Dillydipper like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

True. The floors and large, untreated glass planes are your biggest reflection challenges here (I don't really have experience with bass traps, never had a need of them myself).

head_unit and insoc123 like this.
  19. head_unit

head_unit Forum Resident

Costa Rica! One of the few countries to have an astronaut!
    - I'd say that chair is far back from the speakers. I'd move it in closer, and toe the speakers in a lot more to reduce side reflections.
    - I feel good directivity-controlled horns/waveguides would be good for this room.
    - At one place, we temporarily cover a glass door and marble fireplace with thick acoustic foam panels we mounted on wood frames.
    - Rug, yeah. Though I've never seen data on absorption vs. frequency for any type of rugs
    - I'd be putting THICK acoustic foam on the ceiling.
    - I wonder if the glass is really *that* much more reflective than the wood closets. REW would be interesting for looking at that stuff, I agree, though you could really spend your whole life doing that.

insoc123 likes this.
  20. insoc123

Thank you very much! In fact today I read on the local newspaper that another soon to be astronaut from my country will be travelling to the Kármán line in the following years.

The seat you saw it's actually a render, those are not photos but render of how my room will be if treated. My actual position is closer to the speakers. Due to my speakers (ATC SCM7 V3) I listen to them in near close field.

Again, thank you very much for your recommendations, best regards,

21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

What a beautiful place you live!

Changing the windows will reduce noise transfer from outside to inside and vice versa. Is that worth the cost to you? Same for replacing the door -- it will reduce noise transfer. This will make a difference only if the door is the weak spot for noise transfer. If it's coming through the walls or otherwise structure borne, the new door will be a waste of resources.

Has anyone yet suggested you contact GIK or ASC and ask for guidance? If it's really room acoustics you want, not simply noise abatement, they can help, and the plans at least are inexpensive. They also can quote you the cost of their recommended products, including shipping. If you ask both firms, you'll certainly get different opinions, and you can weigh those yourself or ask for comments from all of us anarchists here.

insoc123 likes this.
  22. insoc123

thank you very much! The problem it’s that in my country I can contact GIK or ASC because they do not have a branch here. I wish but not many people here do such services for personal/hobby listeners, only for studios and concert halls and that a whole different story. I’ve purchased before at GIK, two panels, but without expert supervision it’s hard to identify the acoustic problems my room might have. Thank you again, best regards,

23. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Oh, I understand. Yet -- have you asked if they would make a plan for you? I would hope that, since they do sell you panels, they also would make a plan for you. It's all done through email, photos, sketches, and such. (Vendors consider it a sales aid, as it encourages you to buy more.)

24. ghost rider

I saw you posted in the forum I suggested. From the looks of it I'm not sure bpape or anyone else is monitoring it the REW has more recent activity so it my be useful. REW Forum
    REW may be worth spending a little time and effort to use it. The program sends a frequency sweep through the speakers and a specific mic and you get a lot of information that as you learn what you are looking at you will have a better idea what is going on in your room and how can you fix it. Some people just trust the professionals they hire, me I would rather do as you are trying to do and learn some of what they are doing and have some input.

I'm curious did the firm come out and take room readings? Did they sit down and tell you what is going on in the room? or did they just send you a proposal with lots of ascetically placed panels? Perhaps sending photos of the room as it is would be good with the furniture that will be in the room and where it will be placed.