Is anyone planning on buying this .... 58 cover versions of John Cage's composition, 4’33”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radio-Aktivität, Aug 2, 2019.

1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

All jokes aside, I would honestly prefer a 5.1 recording. The composition has always been about the inherent music between the (rest) notes. I would love to hear an entire orchestra in 3D space just turning the page on score sheets. Actually hearing a box set of stereo performances is uninteresting to me.

hutlock likes this.
  2. octophone

octophone fit and working again

This is a very important part of it - I was - and remain - a huge Inspirals fan and the loss of Craig Gill was a sore one indeed. Also, it's warming to see Mute doing this in his honour as the group's relationship with Mute was a bit fraught at its end although I believe it was subsequently much more congenial around and after the "Cool As" compilation.

hutlock and Chilli like this.
  3. octophone

octophone fit and working again

Well Cage's Musicircus was created on that principle, that everything went on all at once in different areas so someone could, in theory, sit at the piano and perform all three movements with the notion being that one, instead, takes in the blend of sound, noise and performance happening elsewhere.

A friend of mine shepherded an event based on this notion in Glasgow about 10 years ago now and it was amazing how many of the musicians were perfectly happy to participate but still expected everyone to be quiet during their bit...funny breed, musicians...

4. das-t

das-t living musical polyamory

Yes. I have subscribed to the newsletter announcing this release as fast as I could, and recently preordered as fast as I could. I expect this to be an inspirational, thought provoking highlight within my collection, no less. I am really excited to explore how all those artists will have approached the subject (acts that often are not really known for subtle and / or conceptual performance art within this very tradition).
    I am thinking about how I would approach the subject. I have been remotely toying the idea of doing a show on silence for almost as long as I have been thinking sonically, long before I learned of 4'33''. Toying with silence is quite a common theme and quite logical for someone obsessed with sounds to come up with, it's the way how individual people deal with the task of interpretation and expression that makes it intereating again and again. Therefore I'd be excited how I myself will deal with it, what I'd come up with.

Love that Laibach performance, it's got quite a few cross-references and to me it's one unexpected highlight of their career.
    They have developed the cross chess for themselves and have been doing several performances with it for many years afaik.
    Though this very performance is a reference to a chess performance played by Marcel Duchamp and Eve Babitz in 1963, the latter played in the nude.
    It's reference to 4:33 is the unnatural over-amlification of all those quiet sounds, the background hums, the room reflections of that silent record crackling, the overall subtle and stunning, awesome sound design.
    I also love how they sit down to play but then don't play.

I am going for the CD version, though. I would have narrowly been able to catch the vinyl box, but I don't really like vinyl anymore since the advent of CDs and later Flac, and also not fond of the price contemporary ranges. But I am really excited for this release. A Mute (!) milestone in the making.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    hutlock and Nate-O-Phonic like this.
  5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, when I was 16 I discovered that John Cage lived a few miles away from me. I wondered if he was in the phone book. He was! I called the number but it was disconnected. I then thought, if Cage is in the phone book maybe David Tudor is too. He was! I called and a man picked up the phone. I was nervous as hell. I said “is this David Tudor”? He said yes. I said “my name is Mark Steven Brooks and I’d like to talk to you”. He said “about what “? I said “music “. He said “come right over”. I brought him some of my scores which he said were very sensitive and I saw him somewhat regularly for about 10 years. I used to drive him to and from the airport when he went on tour. He wrote me a letter of recommendation to graduate school which helped get me a full scholarship. David was a very important figure for me in my youth.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

According to the score the instrumentation is free though the first performance in 1952 in Woodstock, NY was by David Tudor at the piano.

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Awesome.

9. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic Forum Resident

It should not be lost on anyone that this is released on the MUTE label.

PIGGIES, Lownotes and Greenalishi like this.
  10. das-t

das-t living musical polyamory

11. WarGene

WarGene Well-Known Member

Now...I'm a reasonable guy. I can handle 4'33" with glee (at times--it all depends on what else I have to do). But, this with David Tudor is a bit like watching paint dry. I keep wanting to add a drum kit into the mix. But, maybe my ears are just a bit untrained and in need of more of these two (truly) musicians.

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

So really, this is 264'00".

mr.datsun, Lownotes and RubenH like this.
  13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

More like 263’54”. Those 6 seconds make all the difference.

no.nine and Lownotes like this.
  14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Lownotes likes this.
  15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

16. Lownotes

Lownotes Forum Resident

L O L

So many great replies. Hopefully at least one version will be in the original A 442.

17. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Unfortunately I had to return my brand new copy.
    Too many tracks have serious speed issues.
    I've timed all of them individually:
    - about 4 actually are 4'35" (that's about 2 secs slow)
    - 1 track comes very close at 4'33.2"
    - all others are all over the place, they range from 4'02" to 4'51".
    And .... there's a hidden track too, #-1, which runs 3'44" . This clearly is some studio engineer's joke.

Waiting for my corrected version.......

Imagine70 and elaterium like this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Sounds like some artists rushed through the track while others maybe played a bar or two too many.

19. YardByrd

YardByrd Forum Resident

As long as Giles Martin doesn't mix it, I'm in! ;-)

20. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Well-Known Member Thread Starter

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm hoping this is irony. :D

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

I have seen a score, it was in Foyles, Charing Cross Road. Probably still there. About a fiver. I bet they sell loads, I really do.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Why so? There is plenty of recordings of musique Concrete, drones, and the like that won't sound so very different from this. I love these strange releases, they're wonderful musical curios. It's not like they're aiming to have a number 1 hit album. 4:33 is a fascinating concept, and depending on the performance can be dull or even exciting.

Hell, we need MORE strange releases like this.

I find the use of the term "cover versions" in the thread title perplexing.

BeatleJWOL, hutlock and Wounded Land like this.
  24. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

I guess you could be quite right.
    They sort of ironed the tracks out, which explains the differences in duration.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Vaughan.