I Could Be Dreaming: the Belle and Sebastian song-by-song, album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 21, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's song is "Judy is a Dick Slap", an instrumental written by Belle and Sebastian; and produced by Tony Doogan and Belle & Sebastian.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/7xGVqpvR8HzcehAA09b8MY?si=xNNgKSU9Rv-j21LNrbPs8Q

This was released as a B-side (or second song) to the Legal Man single. The 12" single featured an extended mix, which I'll link to below.

I'm not exactly sure what a "Dick Slap" is.

2. Lance LaSalle

The extended mix.

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I don't generally rate instrumentals highly (unless it's jazz or classical), but this is rather wonderful and deserving a 3.5/5.

peachyg72 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  4. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

It’s very reminiscent of HalloGallo by Neu!

I’m also generally of the view that instrumentals aren’t worth the time or space but this one definitely is. In particular the extended mix.

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

I usually rate instrumentals highly snd this is no exception. 4.3/5

6. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

as a matter of fact there are two different extended versions of Judy Is a Dick Slap.

the version released on the 12" in 2000, lasting 4.41 (says Discogs), or 5.10??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ydoTHog20
    and the newly extended version, lasting 7.25 that was on the Jeepster Singles Collection from 2016

7. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I generally dislike instrumentals too, but make an exception for this one.

4/5

peachyg72 and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I'm not especially keen on the main part. Televised sports montage music.

The mellow bit at the end- is that a second section or an unlisted mini-track? It doesn't seem to be part of the extended version. Anyway I like that bit better.
    2 for the main bit, 3 for the end bit, 2 overall.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  9. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

This is genuinely one of my favourite Belle and Sebastian tracks. Before my iPod died a couple of years ago, I think it was my most played track by them. And it's an absolute belter when done live. 5/5

vivresavie and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Judy is a ..

Some high marks here so far, this one’s never really registered that highly for me , maybe because I love the next track , so an inoffensive 3/5

11. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

There's not really enough to this song to make me really like it. Nor is there enough bad about it to make me actively dislike it. I am surprised by the love here for it. :shrug:A middle of the road 2.5 for me....

12. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Put me down as another non-fan of pop instrumentals, I tend to think of them as filler and I feel a bit cheated out of a 'proper song'. Although this one has some decent melodies, I would definitely prefer Stuart's vocals over the top of it. It's hard to give it a rating but comparing it to other songs I've rated as 3's I would rather listen to them than this, so it has to be just 2/5.

13. anervousehearse

anervousehearse Well-Known Member

Don’t love it, but rarely skip it (in the context of the push barman compilation, but that might speak to the amazing quality of the surrounding songs). It’s interesting enough, and I respect them the more for doing weird stuff like this but certainly not what I come to Belle and Sebastian for.
    Round down to 2/5

14. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Judy is a Dick Slap"

1-0
    2-3
    3-1
    4-3
    5-1
    Average: 3.225

15. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Winter Wooskie", written by Stuart David and produced by Tony Doogan and Belle & Sebastian. The genius.com entry says the lead vocal is aby Stevie Jackson; but I'm pretty sure that its Stuart David.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/2Dj1k4VmGEiLcdqgMfihoL?si=TuiBTA0OSvG0Ia5ULVbCow
    LYRIC.
    "Winter Wooskie" was based on a Stuart David demo; the rest of the band completed it without him, "Free as a Bird" style, after he had left the band, as a gesture of farewell.
    It was released as a B-side on the Legal Man single.

16. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I can't really get past SD's singing here. I don't think I like the song but it's possible I could have been won over by someone else singing it.

17. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Sounds like a relic from a bygone age (1996 to be precise).

off the top of my head I couldn’t remember what it sounded like and even now having listened to it, it’s not really sticking with me. Also, it sounds very similar to Paper Boat unsurprisingly.

18. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Winter Wooskie...

For some reason I’ve always loved this one so a 4/5..

LivingForever and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

For ages, I thought it was Stevie singing it. I figured, if he's affecting a deep voice on other things, he could be singing with a softer voice here. But it is Stuart David.

I think this is a low key gem that works as a nice antidote to the mayhem of Legal Man and the relentless energy of (most of) Judy Is a Dick Slap. I would have been perfectly happy if it was on the album.

Its slightly naive composition - which, in itself, is also part of its charm - means it falls short of full marks for me, but I've always liked it, so in a move that makes the title song the lowest scoring track here for me, this gets 4/5.

20. Lance LaSalle

I like it, and I think that the band did a good job -- it's a pity Stuart David left the band, in a way, because a Stuart David song every once in a while, played by Belle and Sebastian, goes down better than a whole album of Looper stuff.

This one has a good atmosphere and I give it a 3.5/5. Like the little guitar solo.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Good, but not great - 3/5. But much better than other Stuart David B&S songs!

22. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

and here's the other good Stuart David song... 3/5

Lance LaSalle and croquetlawns like this.
  23. anervousehearse

anervousehearse Well-Known Member

Stuart David’s best song.
    4/5

Gavaxeman and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Winter Wooskie is a fine Stuart D song. But it really does sound very similar to Paper Boat, which I think I like much more. Either would have been a better choice to put on Fold Your Hands than That One Song... :sigh: It's too bad that Paper Boat got lost in the shuffle, and this gets hidden as a B-side. This is not a 5 tiered Stuart M song but I will give it a nice 3.75.

Gavaxeman and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Even though Stuart David doesn't have a great singing voice I still prefer his singing songs to his spoken word ones.

"Winter Wooksie" is pleasant enough and I never skip it but I don't like it as much as "Paper Boat" so 3/5