I Could Be Dreaming: the Belle and Sebastian song-by-song, album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 21, 2020.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

A great eleven song finish is optimal.

2. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Arguably we have that on Tigermilk and Sinister! (OK, 10 songs, but whatever).

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Family Tree 4/5

4. anervousehearse

anervousehearse Well-Known Member

Used to skip this one, but it’s not so bad. Though I think the lyrics are kinda silly
    I’ll round down to 2/5

5. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I did always think that Isobel wrote Family Tree. I don't even know when I learned she didn't. The song just fits her. The lyrics are rather good and rather clever. It feels longer than its 4 minutes, but not in a bad way! The music/band is a little understated and soft (?) but in a way that suits her singing and doesn't drown her out. I never think of this as one of their Signature Songs so I'm hesitant to give it a 5, but it's a solid 4.5.

therunner and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. irong

irong Forum Resident

Family Tree: 4/5

Family Tree initiates the custom of bringing out old songs that could have been Tigermilk outtakes and put them on later albums. The trick will eventually get old, but for now all is well. Cute nursery rhyme melody, solid vocal performance from Isobell, beautiful aural texture, intruiguing lyrics.

7. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

I love the song "Family Tree" - the lyrics, the melody, the instrumentation - and I can understand the reasons for having Isobel singing it but.....I'm just not able to like Isobel's voice no matter how much I try, so it loses a point for that I'm afraid.

4/5

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Family tree...

Good , but not great 3/5

9. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Family Tree"

1-0
    2-1
    3-1
    4-2
    5-4
    Average: 4

10. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "There's Too Much Love", written by Stuart Murdoch and produced by Tony Doogan with Belle and Sebastian.

Spotify: There's Too Much Love
    Lyric.

Tomorrow, I'll hold up the Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant album, and then the following "extra" tracks will be discussed.
    • Legal Man (From Legal Man single, 2000)
    • Judy Is a Dick Slap (From Legal Man single, 2000)
    • Winter Wooskie (From Legal Man single, 2000)
    • O Come, O Come Emmanuelle (From It's a Cool, Cool Christmas)
    • Good Time (Stevie Jackson solo, from Caroline, Now!)
    After that, I will begin on the Gentle Waves' second album, Swansong for You, again largely recorded with members of Belle and SEbastian. I'll take that album two songs at a time, like I did last time.

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

There’s too much love ...

Nice finish to the album, and to me, an ending to the “classic” B & S years ....this album was all over the place and changes are to come ..a bit more professionalism creeps in ..a good 4/5 song to finish ....

12. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

One of my favourite songs by Belle & Sebastian (or indeed anyone). Possibly a top 10 though I’m pretty sure that top 10 of mine already contains more than 10 songs.

Beautiful guitar, infectious arrangement and I recall heated debate at the time over whether he says “ground from my car” or “brown Formica”.

My only complaint echoes my issue with the Model which is I’ve never seen it quite work live. It’s always felt slightly flat and missing a spark.

13. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

4/5

14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Finishing the album on a high, another 4.5/5. Lovely strings.

15. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

There's Too Much Love 4/5

16. anervousehearse

anervousehearse Well-Known Member

Great arrangement (strings, backing vocals at the end) great song, but somehow so subtle, and so buried here, I barely noticed it until I revisited the album 5 years ago or so
    5/5

17. irong

irong Forum Resident

There's Too Much Love: 5/5

Always been one of my favorite song on this album, and one of my fave B&S song. Wistful and uplifting at the same time.

It gained some deserved fame in the last years after being featured in the brazilian movie The Way He Looks.

vonseux and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Probably my favorite final song from them after Judy. A definite high on the album. For an album with ups and downs you need to end on a strong point and this manages beautifully. 5/5

19. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

"There's Too Much Love" is a wonderful song, the primary melody is so uplifting and sing-along (with the hand claps like Arab Strap).

Undoubtedly a great way to finish the album but I wonder whether this album can afford to leave one of its best songs to be 'buried' at the end, when it might have been better to use it earlier to save a flagging middle section. Whereas Sinister for example has the luxury of so many great songs that a strong song like "Judy" is perfect as the final track, I wonder if it's too much of an indulgence this album cannot afford ?

5/5

20. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Another strong melody that's embellished greatly by a fantastic arrangement.

For all the debate about the sequencing, I can't imagine the album having different opening or closing tracks. They just seem to work perfectly where they are and I don't know where else I'd put them.

5/5

21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

You just need to swap out some of the middle tracks :D

22. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Indeed. More on which, later today...

croquetlawns likes this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

I really like the way the arrangement is so well integrated into the song: it really enhances it and helps it grow. The lyrics are brilliant, as is typical; but for me the melody doesn't quite reach the heights of Stuart's best.

4.4/5

vonseux likes this.
  24. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "There's Too Much Love"

1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-3
    5-6
    Average: 4.6556

25. Lance LaSalle

Today, Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant.