Henry Cow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan King, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Given the lack of live recordings from that era, this is a great piece of footage. It makes me wonder how much material was recorded at that session. Here we can hear some of Legend live with very good sound quality. And we also know that there was another track from those sessions called Bellycan. The version of Bellycan on the USA printed Legend CD doesn't have quite the same clarity of sound as the original GTL LP has.

I wonder who has the full tapes of the session. Virgin, I guess? Or? Whoever paid for the Virgin Mobile unit?

I wish we could hear what the band are saying. I don't speak French

Thanks for posting.

2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Chris Cutler sells these through ReR. The price has always put me off. On each CD entry in their online catalogue it says, 'New Japanese version of the ReR edition, with obi.'

Although the ones on cdjapan are dated June 1015, there seems to be no reason to think they have remastered them. I suspect it's more likely they are a repress.

There is now a £75 box of the 5 CDs on ReR.

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=&Initial=&CatListingoffset=&Product_Code=JAPHC!&Store_Code=RM&Initial=&search=Henry Cow&searchoffset=45&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=3&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

crozcat likes this.
  4. barrie60

barrie60 Forum Resident

mr.datsun and crozcat like this.
  5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Thanks!
    Can you hear any difference in Leg End compared to the ReR original mix remaster CD?
    (The original UK LP has more midrange/less bass and treble than this)

6. barrie60

barrie60 Forum Resident

I haven't done a comparison between those, but I will dig the ReR version out and give them both a listen and let you know. I have been impressed how Kazuo Ogino has handled these releases, especially the Bruford albums which Belle also released. Though he seems to be using the digital files of the latest mastering he does seem to make them sound "better" to my ears.

7. barrie60

barrie60 Forum Resident

Just done a quick comparison between the ReR original mix of Legend and the SHM-CD. Not a huge difference, but I would say the ReR sounds slightly softer overall, with the SHM a little bit sharper and fuller, but not harsh or louder. My preference is the SHM.

crozcat likes this.
  8. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

OK, thanks a lot!

9. ganma

ganma Forum Resident

Today I picked up Domestic Stories — Chris Cutler/Lutz Glandien with Fred Frith, Dagmar Krause and Alfred Harth.
    I had owned it previously but sold it because some lyrics freaked me out. :laugh: I'll try just to listen to the music this time.
    [​IMG]

nsmith1002 likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I used to own this, too. I never got on with it at all. Maybe I'll give it another go. Let us know how you find it this time round. Great cover by Peter B.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've just done a needle-drop of a clean copy on my upgraded Rega Planar 3 and a Dynavector 20x2L. I recorded it, quickly topped and tailed the files, did a mild auto declick, burnt a CD. To my ears, it sounds much better than the official ReR Original mix CD which was made on a Linn. And I'm not using pro audio software. With a rumble filter it would probably be even better. Not really sure what ReR USA were doing with the the one they made.

93curr likes this.
  12. ganma

ganma Forum Resident

I'm listening now. It's quite amazing actually. It is very modern. When I first owned it I was not familiar with synths and sampling technology (as a musician myself). Now that I am, I can appreciate it a lot more. The atmospheres created as a backdrop to Dagmar's vocals and the more 'traditional' instrumentation are fascinating. The sound quality is pristine and the arrangements are intricate. It's a brilliant dark and modern art rock album. I definitely recommend picking it up again and giving it some time.

13. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

There was quite a bit of remixing going on IIRC, and the track Amygdala was completely re-recorded with Lindsay Cooper (Geoff Leigh was on the original).
    (I have the three ESD cd's in a 1991 box called 'The Virgin Years', limited to 1250, numbered and with a family tree included. The cd's are essential for the different mixes and bonus tracks, and were available separately back then.)

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've heard one or two Glandien works on the ReR Quarterlies, which I thought were interesting. Obviously Frith and Harth add to the interest, but I find Krause's voice can grate in certain avant garde contexts. I liked her in Slapp Happy and Art Bears, though – as well as the Supply and Demand LP.

Yes, there are two versions of the Legend album on CD. The remix (ESD as you describe) and the original mix. I'm afraid that I do not enjoy Tim H's remix of Legend on ESD but I would like to read the book from that box. No – my comment is purely about the original mix on CD, where there was no remixing going on, just a transcription of a vinyl copy on to an ReR Megacorp USA produced CD.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

If you're looking for better examples of Lutz Glandien's work (he's quite good, really), I'd recommend the 'Cut' CD on Wergo and either 'Scenes From No Marriage' or 'Lost In Rooms on ReR.

I'm not entirely convinced that the "original mix" CD uses the actual original mix. The UK LP was much heavier in the midrange and severely deficient in the bass compared to the US LP. And the CD has me assuming that the Japanese LP was closer to (if not identical to) the US mix.

jay.dee and crozcat like this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I keep meaning to listen to those. Thanks for the recommendation.

One of my friends says that the ReR CD has reverb added to the vocal parts. I can't really say I can notice it.

I do have the Japanese pressing they used for the ReR CD. It definitely has more bass but I think this may be down to the mastering/cutting rather than a different mix. It also has improved dynamics with more detailed top end - but I am comparing to a copy of Legend that I bought as a teenager (well-played).

It seems to me that the band does not have the original stereo mix-down and this is why they have never used it for a remaster. I also cannot imagine how there would be alternative mixes when the band cannot even lay their hands on one of them.

93curr likes this.
  17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

One of my favourite post-Cow releases. Mysterious, dark and disturbing music, ideal for pondering at midnight dreary over a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore... :righton:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    footlooseman and ganma like this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Does not play well with fascists or southern rock.

Just back from Slapp Happy's second reunion gig of 2017, with Jean-Hervé Peron and Zappi Diermeier from Faust as their rhythm section. Was a tiny, informal and very wonderful evening. No stage- just a section of the café, and a semi-circle of wooden chairs around the band.

Having now seen Henry Cow, Slapp Happy and (the only?) News From Babel performances, I just need Art Bears to reform…

mx20, varitone, Mr. H and 5 others like this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Me too. Charming, funny and moving. Lovely to see them back with Peron and Zappi from Faust. They played a lot of material from Ça Va tonight. My favourites were a song from Ça Va that I can't identify, Heading for Kyoto, Casablanca Moon and the rousing finale, Drum. Zappi played nice percussion on 'Kyoto'. I enjoyed PB and Anthony Moore playing guitar together

Peter told me that they will go to Japan for two weeks. The last time they went to Japan they had fans chasing them down the street, much to their amusement.

jay.dee likes this.
  20. PretzelLogic

All true. I'm only familiar with the self titled album and Desperate Straights, so the Ca Va and Sort Of material was a revelation, as was the arrangements (presumably based on the Acnalbasac Noom recordings) of the familiar songs. Some really incredible stuff. Really tempted to go tomorrow if I can get a spare ticket.

Poor Sean the sound man. Anthony Moore wasn't pleased with him.

93curr likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

At least he (Sean) had his supporters in the audience. And Peter Blegvad always kept it light.

No, I don't know the Ça Va material. I got the impression that many of those songs sounded like Dagmar's own. Or maybe Anthony? The lyrics/tunes don't have Peter Blegvad's signature. I embarrassed myself by asking Peter if they were new songs and he said no - they're from Ça Va. I could just never listen to it.

Were you tempted by the deluxe LP Ltd. edition of Acnalbalsac Noom? It seems to cost €85 online.

Hope you get in to the matinée.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

I like Henry Cow and the Art Bears, although a lot of their stuff is more on the "interesting" side of things for me rather than the "strongly resonates with me" side. There is a bit of the latter in their catalog, though. Legend is probably my favorite album from them.

They move a bit too far afield from pop songwriting traditions for my tastes sometimes, especially in that they sometimes eschew steady/regular rhythms and repetition. I like progressive rock and jazz fusion a lot in general, and I like a lot of avant-garde stuff, but I still like there to be a solid connection to pop songwriting structures (with some steady rhythms, some repetition of melodic motifs, etc.), even if the connection is very abstract, surreal, etc.

23. PretzelLogic

I was highly tempted- it looked marvellous, but my preferred LP is the self-titled one so couldn't justify £65 in the heat of the moment.

And similar to you, Ca Va is just too overproduced for me to enjoy but some of those songs were terrific- the three harmonica one was a true joy. Alas I have afternoon plans today so no matinee for me.

24. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I was at the first night on Friday. Lovely event. They were fantastically under-rehearsed, lots of false starts and then moments of magic.

25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Have you tried their live output? There you will find a lot of structured playing, even some proper songs with haunting melodies, interspersed with great group improvisations. They were a terrific live band after all, which may not be that evident on their studio material; think of studio Zappa or Dead vs their live incarnations.

Now as the sets from their live boxes are available individually I strongly recommend checking "Hamburg '76", "Bremen '78" and "Stockholm '77+Göteborg '75" (especially if one knows and appreciates the first part of "Concerts" program) just to see that even going far afield they never lost touch with traditional melodies and rhythms.

ReR Megacorp: Search
    Search - Wayside Music

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    crozcat likes this.