Henry Cow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan King, Aug 16, 2015.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, but from a really clean Japanese pressing using a Linn LP12. There was a thread on this somewhere on the Progressive Ears board a few years back.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nope. Geoff Leigh is the only HC guy on the LP, and he had left the band already by then. Wootton from Comus and Peron from Faust are the only famous names.

http://www.discogs.com/Slapp-Happy-Slapp-Happy/release/1601931

3. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the band. I used to collect live recordings of them throughout the 1970s, as I preferred them live rather than their studio work due to their spontaneous nature.
    I highly recommend their box set The Road, particularly Vol. 6-10. It includes an excellent booklet about the history of the band, plus some amazing recordings (Erk Gah instrumental extracts are especially juicy), plus a live video of an entire concert by the band doing some of their most interesting songs (No More Songs live!).
    As for studio recordings, I think I like Western Culture by Henry Cow the best (although it tends to vary depending on my mood).
    But Acnalbasac Noom by Slapp Happy is my absolute favorite (I don't really care for the commercialized version Casablanca Moon).

jay.dee and mr.datsun like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's true it was a clean pressing and used a good deck. But the audio is muffled. I have a professionally cleaned and de-rumbled version of the first track (done by someone well-known on this forum) and it has much more space and rhythm in the sound.

I am critical. I know sometimes vinyl has to be resorted to but I would like to be told upfront. This is one of the gems in the H.Cow crown and it deserved better treatment.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

This sounds great - thanks for the recommendation.

6. Dok

Dok Forum Resident

Beeb Fader and nsmith1002 like this.
  7. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

There is an alternative versionof the lp with Faust as the backing band. It goes by the name Noom Acnalbasac I think, as in Casablanca Moon backwards. Though it may have the 2 parts of the name in a different order. It was put out by These or Recommended in th e90s I think.

8. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

That was the first version that was rejected by Polydor in 1973. It was first released by Recommended in 1980 under the title 'Slapp Happy or Slapp Happy' and two years later, with a different cover, as 'Acnalbasac Noom'. It made its CD debut around '90 (I think).

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I don't have my Wyatt book at hand right now, but I sort of remember her having worked with him in the 80s-90s(?)

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

I have Winter Songs by the Art Bears. If I ever need to curdle some milk I turn it on and leave the house.

Beautiful cover though.

11. Yep. I have their first two albums. A pity that they decided to go out to pasture.

12. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

mr.datsun likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Could I suggest that you try their Hopes and Fears album? More varied than Winter Songs, being some material originally written for Cow. It has strengths and weaknesses but overall is very fresh and an interesting, enjoyable listen. Some good Frith compositions.

drad dog and crozcat like this.
  14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Orckestra (Cow + Mike Westbrook band) was active during 1978. I've never heard it. I guess it's from a European gig.

15. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes, The Orckestra even played here in Sweden, but I didn´t get to see them - although I was lucky to see Henry Cow in 1976/77/78!
    The first time it was the totally improvised tour played in (almost) darkness - a bit too far out for me...
    The second was w/Dagmar and had (mostly) structured compositions - superb! :D
    The third was after Dagmar left, w/Phil Minton (vocals/trumpet), mix of compositions and improvs - great!

I wonder about the sound quality and sources for that promo CD EP...

16. michael landes

michael landes Well-Known Member

We must have very different ideas of what "prog" is. Not important, those categories are all meaningless. We both love this band
    and that's what means something.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It must be a band recording as Chris Cutler included this in the first Henry Cow box. There's lots of early stuff he left out of the recent Cow box sets because the quality was not good enough. I would guess anything they recorded in 78 is likely to have been done through the desk.

What interests me about that CD single is that the second track is a Greaves/Cutler piece. I like John Greaves' compositions.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  18. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Especially missing is a good sounding 1973 concert! :righton:

jay.dee likes this.
  19. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

A version of Would You Prefer Us To Lie? is on Vol. 7 in The Road box - would be nice to hear the Orckestra recording.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I didn't know about the Road box version. I only have Box 1.

I've listened to the Orckestra version. I couldn't say it is a desk recording. I can hear the ambience of the hall. I'm no expert on recordings, but I guess it's a cassette. It sounds alright. Worth hearing.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have a copy of the Hemel Hemstead concert (72?), the Faust concert at the Rainbow and the Explorer's Club. Explorer's and Hemel, I think cover similar material. I would say that due to sound quality, the Hemel Hemstead is the only one worth finding - it's not very good but you can hear the music and I enjoy it. Explorer's sound is bad and Rainbow is very very bad.

crozcat likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Glad to see Desperate Straights getting some love. I came to it by way of Peter Blegvad, having fallen in love with The Naked Shakespeare and wanting to hear more of his work. I can understand why Dagmar's voice is an acquired taste, but that music really gets under your skin. It's quite proggy and Baroque but at it's core, it's very good pop music, and I love how some of the songs actually quote each other. It's funny, just yesterday I got CD's of Desperate Straits and Kew.Rhone. in the mail. Something synchronous is in the air!

Much further down the road, Slapp Happy came together and made an album called Ce Va! that is also very good, probably a wee bit more accessible than the earlier stuff, but still very charming in that special Slapp Happy way.

I also like Henry Cow's Unrest and am even a fan of those crazy Art Bears records, which can be quite abstract. Rats and Monkeys is a personal favorite. There were a handful of other bands that were born out of the Henry Cow collective, weren't there? And didn't this particular 'movement' of musicians (Blegvad, Greaves, Krause, Frith, Lindsey Cooper, Chris Cutler, etc.) have a name like the Canterbury Sound or something like that? I may be mis-remembering that.

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Forum Resident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_in_Opposition

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

News From Babel is required listening for Henry Cow and Art Bears fans.

jay.dee likes this.
  25. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Filmed for French TV, November 1973, during recordings for their side of the Greasy Truckers Live At Dingwall´s 2-LP:

Mr. H, eeglug and 93curr like this.