Harbeth 30.1 Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

:laugh: Whatever you say, Broken Record. It's not pain, but pattern recognition.

Don't let me interrupt your spiel. I understand you need to run through some combination of bullet points anytime a Harbeth thread gets bumped, and I get that it feels new for you each time you post them anew. :laugh:

Let it out, buddy!

2. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Hey now!...it wouldn't feel like a proper Harby thread without a groin shot from Helom:)

timind and avanti1960 like this.
  3. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

"Show me on this doll where Alan Shaw hurt you?"

Helom, crying, points to his ears.

[​IMG]

thesisinbold and Glmoneydawg like this.
  4. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

Someone's gotta balance out the overblown hype.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  5. Glmoneydawg

Just a sec while i put my protective cup on:)

Helom likes this.
  6. Helom

In all seriousness, I was just trying to save the guy time. ATCs and ProAcs are different animals. Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of resolution for the musicality of a Harbeth.

nickrobotron, jphabc54 and avanti1960 like this.
  7. Glmoneydawg

I understood it that way....but your reputation proceeds you when it comes to Harbeth my friend.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"toe-in" means pointing slightly inward . these speakers sound their best when you sit dead center and slightly behind the apex of an equilateral triangle formation. careful positioning is well rewarded. you want to see a little of the inside cab surface. bass bloat is usually caused by being too close to walls and corners and floor and / or too small of a room . as mentioned earlier they need some room- also if you are sitting against the wall you could be in a bass node. try moving your seat away from the wall if possible.
    I have never owned the 30's but my old C7ES3 changed quite a but during break in and did become more refined and detailed.
    also they do respond well to source interconnect cable changes if you want more detail.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  9. avanti1960

similar thing i do in Rega threads- where a broken record seems more appropriate :)

Helom and Glmoneydawg like this.
  10. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

You're an SJW...Speaker Justice Warrior! :laugh:

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  11. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Don't worry. Based on his later posts, I expect he'll be moving them out pretty quickly.

12. Glmoneydawg

Lol yep....if you buy any new component...you should probably avoid the internet for a while.....especially if you want to keep and enjoy that component.

William Bryant and jphabc54 like this.
  13. Helom

Well it's no secret that it's not my favorite brand but I don't dislike them. I just share my honest experience, regardless of whether I own, like, love, or despise a brand or model. There are many who buy this brand based solely on the internet hype - a mistake for any brand IMO.

timind likes this.
  14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Truth is, at this point, I could care less if Harbeth went out of business. The whole minor change every couple of years with a major price bump thing has left a bad taste in my mouth after Shaw spent so much time criticizing others for doing the same. I think Harbeths sound great but they're not the only game in town and I'm sure Graham and Stirling Broadcast are as good, if different.

I just don't like seeing people criticizing 30.1's because I don't want it to affect the value when I sell mine. :laugh:

15. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Found pretty much the same when auditioning 30.1s and D2s side by side, with a Croft amp. The Harbeths were very mid-focussed and easy to listen to (lovely with vocals); the ProAcs more openly expressive and allowed more musical impact to come through, but still smooth. Chose the latter but can see how the Harbeths would have suited some tastes/systems better.

16. Leo Tos

Leo Tos Active Member

Я слышал, что у Graham LS5 / 9 более реалистичный звук и красивая середина.

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I have a pair of M30.1 speakers. Even in my room of just 13' x 13' I find them bass light. And I'm not a bass fan. I turn up the bass on my amp a little to compensate.

I've been considering an REL T7i sub. Having had no previous experience of subs, I'm a bit nervous about making the investment. I'm particularly concerned at the complexity of set up (all this talk of phase, crossover etc leaves me totally cold!)

Anyone else been on a similar 'journey' and perhaps got experience of the REL T7i?

18. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

It would be helpful to measure using room EQ from your listening position to see what's actually going on. Bass presentation is a feature of set-up and room particulars.

I've got my 30.2 in a mid field set-up about 40cm from the front wall. Bass is taught into the 40's.

If there's marked roll-off you can look to subs, digital room eq, placement experimention etc. But it really helps to gauge what exactly is afoot. It may even be a relatively flat and 'correct' response that simply isn't to taste.

Mike-48 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  19. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks. How would I measure that?

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I have a narrower room but longer than yours @keiron99

If you are looking for a big bass return then these speakers are not for you!

I found I got " more" bass by matching the amp (LFD) and very noticeably improved on that when I put LFD silver reference cable in the chain. Of course it was an illusion as all these changes did was deliver a tighter and more focused bass.

Stands will also improve the bass focus, recommend an "open" style.

Placement and listening position are free upgrades to the over all return.

timind likes this.
  21. avanti1960

fear not. i just added some RELs to my Harbeth setup and they are easy to integrate as far as subwoofers go and are a perfect match that complements and never detracts from the Harbeth sound.
    counter intuitively the Harbeths need lots of space from the wall behind them- (e.g. 6 feet) to deliver excellent bass as well as a robust MOSFET solid state amp of considerable power.
    since that will be most difficult in your room- feel free to sub away.

22. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

So you added two subs? Did you try with just one first?

I notice you have the T9i. Interestingly, right now, I can get the T9i cheaper than the T7i but wonder whether the larger model would just overwhelm the room?

23. Gordon Johnson

There are at least 3 excellent HiFi dealers within your radius. Why don't you try before you buy?

Plus Doug Brady will certainly ensure set up is correct if you go thru them.

I just checked your set up, why are you not maxing out what you have? "Cheapo" inters and speaker cable! I'd again try some cable upgrades first with a try before you buy from a dealer. Again Brady's are good for this and after sales service I find is second to none. I've been shopping with them for 3 decades and I'm hard to impress or please.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  24. Gordon Johnson

Just a word for the great service we get from HiFi dealers.

Thier experience is invaluable. I'd rather pay a little more for an item and know I got the choice correct in the first instance and know I have a wealth of experience to tap into and the support if anything should go wrong over time.

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Fair point, although I'm looking to save a few quid by buying used/ex-dem, and none of the local dealers have any that I'm interested in.

Not sure how changing cable can extend the low frequency response of my speakers....Really, let's not go there! (It's Van Damme cabling if that matters)