Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

1. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Don’t demure; I believe the band encouraged Gratitude

SJR likes this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

It's just a phase. Don't worry, it'll pass.

3. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Terrific post. Insights like these are one of the reasons I stick around here

hey hey now

Woodville, uzn007, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

It wouldn't be the first time.....

US Blues, bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Get Ya Hands Outta Your Pockets

Oh, you have to pay for life, don’t kid yourself.

Are you a freegan or something?

Freeganism - Wikipedia

:thumbsup:

US Blues, SJR and bzfgt like this.
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The Estimated Prophet from 4/19/84 is really good.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

F'in shame, really.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Certainly a foreign concept here in the U.S.

KCWhistle, SJR and US Blues like this.
  9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

At one point, Bob talked about creating an on-demand download archive, which apparently has fallen by the wayside because their limited-edition CD releases are so profitable. Or, IDK, maybe there are some other reasons. But I wonder how long it would take the Vault Team to prepare something like a year's worth of shows, or maybe a batch of 100, for FLAC downloads. Like, if they started with 1966-69, could they have that up by the end of next year? And then could they have all their vault recordings through 1974 online within a few more years? Or, if they started with the 100 Most-Requested Shows That Haven't Been Released, Yet, how long would that take?

Matthew Tate, trd and bzfgt like this.
  10. bliss44

bliss44 Forum Resident

To me, using 72-74 as the standard to measure a mid-80s show is pointless. We all have ears and know the band’s music. Both have a place on my shelf. The fact that one era is better than another does absolutely nothing to diminish my enjoyment of whatever Dead I’m listening to at any given time.

11. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Don't forget, they also want to save a lot of the most popular "classic" shows for future releases too. Releasing the best shows first would certainly be more satisfying to us, but it's not the most sustainable long-term business model since they plan on keeping up this release schedule for years. I admit some of Dave's picks feel downright insulting, considering what's left on the shelf, but it looks like part of the plan to keep plenty of the "best-ever" shows reserved to tantalize subscribers for years to come. You don't want Dave admitting in 2030 that he's got nothing good left to pick, do you? :p

notesofachord, Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  12. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

This sums up my thoughts exactly. The vocals on both the 19th and 20th are some of the roughest I have heard in a while. Second, while I think Scarlet is good, Mickey’s percussion on Fire is so loud-incessant and irritating, it blows anything Gerry is doing on guitar at that point.

Overall this is a C+ average show for me.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The amount of effort they'd have to put into producing a huge batch of shows like that probably implies that we already have what you're talking about in more or less the quality those would be.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

So, 4 releases + a box set + RSD + an Anniversary Deluxe set is the team operating at full capacity? Maybe. But maybe they could also increase staff.

It looks like Neil Young intends to make his full archive available online, someday. But given the way Neil operates, of course, who knows when "someday" might come. If the Dead and Lemieux made a similar project their top priority, IDK, maybe it really wouldn't take so long to get it done.

15. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, but there’s PLENTY of representation on the mainstream releases.

16. notesofachord

There is a lot of 1989 - 1990 stuff because they recorded that entire fall/spring tour on multi-track tape for the Without a Net album.

There certainly isn’t a lot released from 1981 - 1988.

frightwigwam, anth67, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

Also, “Gerry” strikes again.

:laugh:

18. SJR

SJR Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't know if they're at full capacity but it sounds like you're talking about at least trebling the load? Or something?

I get the impression Norman really tries to work these things over, but I don't know how hard that is with 2-tracks. I guess the question is, what would he be doing that Charlie Miller isn't? If not a lot, there's no point; if a lot, then I don't know if they would be able to sustain it.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Norman usually has the master reels, Charlie is working from older DAT copies. The first and biggest difference is in the sonics of the A > D conversation. There is no mastering possible that can restore fidelity lost in the transfer chain. That said, Charlie does great work on behalf of the community!

21. John AB

John AB Well-Known Member

Completely Agree. I love the rock band incarnation in spring 1971 but it’s repetitive as is the early 1960s material. I love all the eras. I’m a huge west la fade-away and when push comes to shove fan. You can only get those in certain periods. Same with all the late 1990s material and Phil exploding back onto the scene with unbroken chain and broken arrow. What I really wish is that we could have heard the band in its prime playing these tunes but if you like songs like this you have to listen to different eras.

SJR, bzfgt, Howard Bleach and 5 others like this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

The transition is really good, too.

adamos and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Enjoying the pick and has got me to revisit the Boise 83 pick which I never gave much of a chance when it came out. Only through a handful of songs in but is really energetic and while there are some patches is enjoyable. Anyone else a fan of the Boise show? Seems like it wasn't well rec'd..

24. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Right, but you mentioned Brent era, which has had many mainstream releases.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I really like the Boise show and thought it was a great choice for the era. The real 80s head scratcher for me was the Boulder show from 81 that was a bit of a train wreck of a performance and off pitch.