Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Human nature to complain. Considering no other band or performer has released even 1% of what GD puts out, and that there are many more we will eventually get, I just don't get it.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Get Ya Hands Outta Your Pockets

I mean, yeah, they could just release the “Complete 1972 - 1974” 500 disc megabox for $6000 and blow our minds, but that ain’t gonna happen.

:wave::righton:

giantleech, Zafu, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  3. notesofachord

4/20/84 is exactly the kind of show I’d expect at this point. A well-played, entertaining show from a less-loved era. Yes, with, plenty of flaws.

Folks really expect each new release to be “flawless” after 29 years and hundreds of discs of archival releases?

Dignan2000, Zafu and SJR like this.
  4. SJR

SJR Senior Member

Ha ha! Yes, thanks for adding that caveat ;)

US Blues likes this.
  5. notesofachord

...and we will. Dave throws the Brent era a bone once every six picks or so. Only five Brent shows out of thirty-five picks.

5/35 = 14%

Seems reasonable to me.

uzn007 likes this.
  6. SJR

SJR Senior Member

Yep :agree:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Yes - me

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

According to my tracking number my DaP 35 appears to have either been incorrectly diverted to another address by USPS or incorrectly addressed by Dead.net fulfillment and thus sent back (I’m a subscriber so I know they have my correct address on file, but I suppose a mistake could have been made on the label). I’ve contacted both to try to figure out what happened but hopefully it will just show up unannounced one day.

In the meantime I’ve headed to FLACs from a kind soul so I can check it out with the cool kids. I agree with the general sentiments being expressed here. I’m still in the first set but it sounds better than I was expecting and it’s a pretty good show too. I’d call it a nice variety pick.

Crispy Rob, Zafu, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

The cool kids don't listen to shows with Brent.

10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Moving on to the second set. I like the feel of this Scarlet > Fire.

Crispy Rob, Gollum, SJR and 3 others like this.
  11. clevelanderz

clevelanderz Well-Known Member

I started with disc 2 and then played disc 3, Scarlet Fire was a treat. Haven't gotten around to disc 1 yet, highlights?

bzfgt, adamos and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I just disagree with the premise--it doesn't seem to me that Dave L is intentionally obscure or anything like that...recently releasing 06-23-74, 3-24-73, 2-26-77, even 10-2-77 was a known quantity; and, even this the Feel Like a Stranger is in the top ten of versions (#9) on Heady Version, and the Scarlet>Fire has 79 votes (about the 13th ranked version), which makes this not an obscure show. And often the most popular tapes are the ones with really good sound quality already...considering the volume of releases, it seems like the mix of already well-known stuff with semi-obscurities is pretty reasonable.

And, this is not an argument but just a statement of personal preference, I like the idea of releasing less well-circulated stuff as, if something gets released, I'm likely to listen to it, so it's a good way to get turned on to stuff...

13. bzfgt

Stranger, Cold Rain and Snow, Brown Eyed Women, Cumberland, Let it Grow, it Must Have Been the Roses all seemed pretty nifty to me today...

Crispy Rob, laf848, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  14. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Fourth listen for me tonight, realizing I prefer Morning Dew when it's livelier like this. Also might just be my imagination but I coulda sworn I heard a very subtle Truckin tease on Miracle around 4:48

15. notesofachord

LET IT GROW!!

Crispy Rob, laf848, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  16. clevelanderz

I definitely heard that too

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Definitely the Feel Like A Stranger opener. I liked CR&S too and I’m an Esau fan so glad to have that. It Must Have Been The Roses > Let It Grow too.

18. clevelanderz

I love Esau as well. We don't see enough of it on archival releases.

19. DCTaff

DCTaff Forum Resident

15669 arrived via the asthmatic snail this morning
    Snail still recovering but should be ok
    Really enjoying the first set. Looking forward to getting in to disc 2 and 3

Zafu, US Blues, JeffreyB and 3 others like this.
  20. JayB

JayB Forum Resident

Fair enough! :)

21. SJR

SJR Senior Member

To be honest, I’m happy with any year as a Pick. It’s nice to hear a different side / different era of the band. Yes, some are better than others but isn’t that just like life itself? :winkgrin:

22. bzfgt

Yeah but this you have to pay for

23. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

You make too much sense

24. SJR

SJR Senior Member

True. No one is forcing you to buy it though. To be honest you can download all the Pick’s online, therefore picking or choosing the ones you really want.

I like the surprise of the announcements, the build-up and expectation and then 3-months after everyone has discussed it, I finally receive mine! :D

25. SJR

SJR Senior Member

It’s probably (fairly) newbie enthusiasm.

AlienRendel likes this.