Frank Zappa's 1st wife, Kay Sherman, instrumental in getting FZ enlisted as auditor in college?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

It's a weirdo they give a pen and clipboard to so they can write down what you do in bed.

ParloFax likes this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Forum Resident

It's called auditing. Dunno about back then and there, but in my experience, it's never been a big deal.

3. ParloFax

ParloFax Forum Resident Thread Starter

No I had never seen this, thank you! Yes that part is an excerpt from Bobby's book. Bobby's purportedly lengthy telephone interview with Dr. Kohn is a frustrating thing because it is both detailed and lacks what we would need to know about which Pauley Pavilion concert exactly he and his wife Margaret (both renowned duo concertists on the piano) had attended on the personal invitation of Zappa. Said they were warmly greeted backstage and had a lengthy conversation there with their host. It would have been a plus also to know around when this interview took place; early enough so the memories of the interviewee where sufficiently clear?

It's puzzling because you would think that Zappa would mention an important actor like that in his autobio. As far as I can tell he didn't...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. Bob Zappa

Bob Zappa New Member

5. Bob Zappa

Bob Zappa New Member

First, thank you for the kind words about my book. I am glad you and many others enjoyed reading it. There are also some very positive reviews on Amazon that have led to interviews with radio personalities in Toronto and New York. My 15 minutes of fame has been stretched into more than 20.
    Second, the section in my book about Frank and Kay at Pomona College was written after a lengthy phone conversation with Dr. Kohn. He allowed Frank to audit the course (for no credit and at no expense) because he said he sensed something about Frank. I did not have the opportunity to ask him to elaborate on that "sense" because of time constraints. But according to Dr. Kohn, Kay was instrumental in helping Frank make the case for auditing the course.
    Third, the reference about Gail is speculation. She is irrelevant to the sequence of events in the story. There are also no references to Moon's birth either. Their omission has nothing to do with my relationship with either one. The story I wrote was about my brother Frank and me. And as for Frank's violent confrontations, any assumption that he was unable or unwilling to stand up to thugs and other enemies fails to understand how he handled those events. Impressions without facts add to the muddled image of an otherwise tough, self-assured and uncompromising individual.
    Finally, I have been amazed at the level of detail that so many fans believe they know about Frank's life and times. Some of that detail surprises even me, other parts are simply ridiculous or, at best, harmless misinterpretation of facts. Whatever the basis for the comments, though, it's clear that they represent a measure of respect and admiration for Frank, for which my sister, Candy, brother Carl and I gratefully acknowledge.

kendo, vince, ajsmith and 6 others like this.
  6. ParloFax

Good day Mr. Zappa,

I am very honored by your reply to my thread and enlightened by your observations.

The sources of biographical information about your brother Frank are many and often contradictory in content, so we fans must resort, to a degree, to speculating about certain aspects. It just struck me that for the first time, or so it seemed to me, it was reported that Kay Sherman played an important role in FZ’s development as a musician while his second wife and widow was conspicuously absent from a time span during which his career took off and your paths were expected (from us readers’ point of view) to have crossed.

Thanking you again for your comments and input, I am extending to you my best regards.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

8. ParloFax

ajsmith likes this.
  9. ParloFax

This begs to get bumped (for post #30)!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. ajsmith

ajsmith Forum Resident

Fascinating thread. Gonna give it a bump.

ParloFax likes this.
  11. ParloFax

I'm glad you like it. Kay's involvement, from that account, just might have made the difference between Zappa the closet composer whom we might otherwise not have known about and Zappa who would later have the confidence to "take on the big wigs", to express himself within their realm.

ajsmith and eeglug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.