Frank Zappa Song By Song Thread (1966-96)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

I love that version just for the way Ike makes Frank crack up. Hi-yo!

kendo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Holy s(bleeeeeep)! I thought you went missing!

3. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

From time to time I enter this thread and read it, but generally I have nothing to add :D

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Wow, hard to believe it would have been Ray Collins’ 83rd. I’m sure I’ve said this somewhere, but if Frank was the brains of the Mothers and Jimmy the heart, then Ray was its soul. Of course, he was the guy that brought Frank into the band that became The Mothers Of Invention, so who knows if we’d even be here without Ray. He was it’s voice, the man that could take something ugly and make it beautiful in its own way. Dry and sardonic one moment, sweet and tender the next, he could perfectly capture the voice of Frank’s words in a way that few others could. Even Lowell George, an amazing talent in his own right and another one of my heroes, wondered if he could follow up. There were many great voices in Frank’s group(s) over the years, but Ray was one of a kind.

We all love and miss you Ray, wherever you are. Me, I’d like to think you’re with the angels choir.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Happy birthday, Ray. In the words of The Mothers themselves, "Ray Collins, we love you! We'll never forget you."

vince and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Outside Now:

Here we are on the fortieth anniversary of Joe’s Garage reviewing a track off that album. This is Joe stuck in prison pining to play his music and be free again. This is also the first of two tracks to feature Patrick O’Hearn on fretless bass.
    Very beautiful, mournful track, beautiful use of Cucurullo’s sitar-guitar, Ike is in fine form, giving a tinge of humor as well as a sense of pathos. That’s very hard to do, but Ike did it. I’ll spin the beans....I’m doing a ranking of Zappa’s band members in the distant future, and guess what song I use to highlight Ike?
    Let’s also focus on the rhythm section. Vinnie is outstanding, and all the dense flourishes he and Ed offer is nothing short of astounding. O’Hearn shows once again why he’s my favorite Zappa bassist; so rhythmically fluid, spectacular ear for countermelody, taking the track to another level, really pushing Frank as a player.
    Brilliant track off this album.

7. Zoot Marimba

Paris 1980, amazing version, probably my favorite:

8. Zoot Marimba

Guitar, the track being Munich 79 from “City Of Tiny Lites”-Original Solo:

9. Zoot Marimba

YCDTOSA Vol 4.:

10. Zoot Marimba

Broadway The Hard Way:

Ike is in great voice as always on these two versions, the problem though is the instrumentation. Chad Wackerman, he seems like a nice dude, and I won’t say he can’t play, it’s just, there’s no soul, there’s no feeling at all, no hutzpah in his playing, he’s basically the Matt Sorum of Zappa.

kendo and PJayBe like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

kendo and Jazzmonkie like this.
  12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...what a voice :righton: here’s a nice tribute via Zappacast

ZappaCast Episode 20 (A Tribute To Ray Collins) - ZappaCast - The Official Frank Zappa Podcast

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

"Outside Now" is the highlight of the whole album to me, with a beautiful melody and downright wicked solo. My only complaint is that it's too short. (Which is why the YCDTOA version is my fave.)It's reminiscent of "Inca Roads" but the time signature is different and Frank incorporates a lot more bends in his solo. Does anyone know what brand of strings he used? Did he go lighter gauge at some point? His solos always had a bend or two, but not like we hear after the 4' mark.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Outside Now

Dreamy. Great vocal from Ike and another "out of this world" guitar solo from Frank. I love the elongated rhythm of the 11/8 pattern. I always feel like I'm in a trance from this tune; I just float along and get sucked in by the riff, the vocal and the guitar solo. Simple, but excellent.

I also love the YCDTOSA 3 version of Keep it Greasy. Ike's "Hi ho Silver, away!" right at the beginning is perfection.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

I can't find an individual upload of it, so go to 30:44 in this video to hear "City Of Tiny Lights" with the original instrumental "Outside Now" inserted in the middle. Peter Wolf solos over the "Outside Now" vamp before FZ in this version. FZ's solo starts at 38:57.

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The lyrics are informative and thoughtful. A girl don't need no fancy grease to get herself some rump relief. It was true then and it's true now. If you want to avoid that crazy screaming souind then remember to keep it greasy. Guys too. A lot of silly pain could be avoided by using sufficient lubrication and any kind of lube'll do!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

^^ I think it's "rump release."

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

Outside Now is a stone cold classic. It's heart-breaking and one of the most emotional songs I think Frank ever wrote. It also includes the word plooked because that's how Frank 'rolled'.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. edenofflowers

I think you're right. 'Rump release' sounds far more scatological though. :D

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

"Outside Now"

The high point of Act 2.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

And now, as performed by "The Barking Pumpkin Digital Gratification Consort"

Zoot Marimba and vince like this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

WOW!
    This sounds a bit different from the original Angel CD!
    Let's hear it for the 231 views of this!

mBen989 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

Super cool find! So strange and yet so musical, perfectly Frank in its own way.

mBen989 likes this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

It’s definitely up there.

mBen989 likes this.