Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Floorstanders for $1200-1300 or less? What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chester0711, Jul 12, 2020.

1. I like the Tekton Mini Lores, which sound great from a 10W Class A amp. However, they are sensitive to axis and toe-in positioning, more so than say my LS-50s or Infinity Reference 162s. Probably similar to my Jamo S807 floor standers. The Tekton's have a "livelier" sound than say the LS-50s, so they may be less of a "reference" setup than others mentioned. Try to hear and compare before you buy, if possible.

2. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I second you. The Q550s sounds great for the price. Out of the box were good but after a few weeks they really came to life. In the store before getting the Q550s I auditioned the Q750s as well which did sound a tad better but my wife was with me and we all know how that kind of thing ends up.

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy "catch me if you can..."

These JBL series are wonder speakers! I cant believe how they sound for the especially money that their asking. I had a copy of the L100 in a marantz which is also 12" and I gave it up long ago. They're are nice speakers but for the room size for 400 sq ft., I could use a smaller driver so I can push the amp to get that "umph" sound.
    I have another 6 watt tube amp project. I'm thinking of using the other JBL I have which is the floor arena 170. This speaker produces a lot of bass too and unbelievably driven by this little amp. "BUT" its not sonically as my 42 watt primaluna. I went ahead and bought a 7' in speaker driver replacement with 50 watts. Using the same cabinet and speakers, let see what this baby is gonna do.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  4. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

What would you hope to hear in a better pair of loudspeakers?

timind likes this.
  5. Dali's Oberon 5 is getting some buzz - no experience, or recommendation, but might be worth a look.

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

Monitor Silver 200 gets great reviews - there's an open box pair for $1299 at Safe and Sound, free shipping.

Many here like the price / value of the Silver series.... plus @Kal Rubinson reviewed the Silver 8's and offered glowing report, and deemed the Silver 200 / 300 an "upgrade" I believe.

Eurofan and Rick58 like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

This is a good rec too, hard to beat the imaging of the LS50....

dreamingtree1855 and Ivand like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy "catch me if you can..."

With a large capacity like yours is more of a candidate for a sub. But by the size of his room and enclosed, you can get a straight out speakers that's more than enough bass especially back ported speakers set a few inches away from the wall depending on what bass you like. I have 320 sqft. speakers are 18 feet apart with 2-7 inch driver 37 watts tube power, no sub need. I can feel every bass notes and the whole room., not loose but tight bass. The speaker follows the amp.
    My 300b amp 8 watts is much bigger sound and "almost" doing the same thing, I just don't wanna push it all the way to 3'o clock. So I figured by using the same cabinet, I wanna change the 2-7 inch driver with a lower wattage to comp both amps and get a closer match. I hope the 8 watter will do the same thing as the 37 watts. After all I'm not even halfway on the primaluna.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

Q Acoustics 3050i.

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

11. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Forum Resident

I bought the Silver8's, reviewed theSilver300's but, although they were an improvement, I kept the Silver8's, partly for esthetics.

Rick58 likes this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

I just noticed there was like a three week gap between today's post above and the last one on July 15th...... wonder if the OP is still on the hunt?

timind likes this.
  13. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Add used stereo RELs. Done.

bever70 likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you think that will stop anyone? :)

15. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Audiophile wannabe

I have mine barely toed in. What do you do? And yes, they're very lively.

16. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I have read several articles on this with the 5 series of speakers. They said to try an aggressive toe-in angle, it can spread the sound stage considerably, and make effects and instruments pin-pointable. I'm toed in about 25° each at around 10 feet apart, sitting about 11 feet back.

17. TheVinylAddict

No, was just wondering if the OP was still looking.... if he found anything or not.

18. I to in so tweeters are pointing towards my head. It's not absolutely required, but can help when critically listening to music.

Dr. J. likes this.
  19. MassHysteria

MassHysteria Manic Vintage Enthusiast

Polk or Elac, for sure.

20. zboski

zboski Well-Known Member

Are the psbs real nice?

ls35a likes this.
  21. Sounds_Good

Sounds_Good Active Member

I four'th the KEF recommendation. If you can get a open box or refurb R500 you will never feel the need to upgrade.
    I auditioned many speakers and brands for months and finally decided on this. and luckily found a pair for I think it was like $1500. The only speaker I would rate above this would be Dynaudio (sorry cant recollect the exact model but it was their standard line floorstander), but its twice+ your budget.

22. Bananajack

Bananajack Forum Resident

Floorstanders for 1200?
    A) none
    B) Spendor indeed may be fine
    C) Bookshelves on Stands (yes, your KEF) with a Subwoofer
    D) Old Celestion Ditton 44 or 66, but pretty hard to find

You pay too much for wood and too little for chassis in that class, if not well used

luckybaer likes this.
  23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Fish tacos.

24. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Your review of the 300's help me buy them. Love the look, but that's always a personal thing. REALLY love the sound!! This is it for me, barring a lottery win.

Rick58 likes this.
  25. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

For $1400, you can get the Oberon 7, which wowed a lot of us at RMAF.