EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

She was realizing she was in the 'aging diva' category and pumped out the last hits she could in the US equipped with the most 'hip' music videos she could muster. In 1984 she still had a couple hits left in her surprisingly as by that point it'd been 2 whole decades since she first made her mark with The Supremes.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Senior Member

How do you know this? I read where he stated that he liked pop music up until around the turn of the century.

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Senior Member

Oh, I remember it. The song was all over the place for a time. The whole "Swept Away" album was very popular with both pop/rock and R&B audiences, and got critical reviews, as I recall.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually it was right around this time Ross released what would become her final Top 10 - indeed, her final Top 40 - hit, the wonderful, Lionel Richie-penned & co-produced "Missing You" off her Swept Away LP. Her final single release from that record, it was their tribute to Marvin Gaye. It's a bit dated sounding for '84, but I think it's actually one of Richie's better-composed tunes and is probably indicative of the direction Ross should have taken.

Not a bad note to go out on, but given how atomic hot Ross had been just a couple of years before, it was a regrettable decline. You can bet execs at RCA were freaking out, as they'd paid a fortune to lure her away from Motown back in '81 after the massive succes of the diana LP and "Endless Love". The result? 4 Top 10 singles over 3 years and then...nothing (at least in the US).

She would however enjoy one more massive hit in the UK thanks to none other than Barry Gibb.

Not everybody could be Tina Turner. Bye-bye, Diana. You were the best. :cry:

5. Grant

Grant Senior Member

I doubt she saw it that way at all. After all, many of her contemporaries were doing just fine on the charts. Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, and a few more were about to make a big return.

The 80s were very good to veteran artists who were willing to change it up to fit the changing musical landscape.

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Diana continued scoring hits in the UK until the turn of the millennium although her US run stops cold at 1985

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've got no memory of it from Phoenix, tho I've heard it since. I actually don't think this Daryl Hall-penned and co-produced track is a bad song, on paper. But the production slips from edgy to annoying, and Ross is just flat out the wrong singer for it. The breathy sexy stuff she does is laughable and kind of surprising, since it had been Ross herself who'd nixed this kind of come-hither performance on diana and re-recorded the vocals to be less overtly sexy and...well, '70s...and more steely and aggressive. Much of the song is pretty shouty, which is not a strong suit for Ross. I can imagine this song working much better sung by Chaka or Patti. I think either one of them could have launched this number into orbit. The Pointer Sisters too, for that matter.

I've spun most of the album today on Spotify. It's a mixed bag, but it's not awful. Feels more like a bunch of near-misses. I'm surprised the Bernard Edwards co-write "Telephone" wasn't a bigger pop hit - it did well on the R&B charts. Her "sexy, breathy come-hither" voice works much better on it - no laughing there. It fortunately doesn't call for any shouting, either.

There are some real oddities on the album too, like the Robbie Benson (yes, that Robbie Benson) co-write "Nobody Makes Me Crazy (Like You Do)", a technopop number that's part Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Coming Home)", part "Thriller", part Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". She closes the record with a plodding, syrup-drenched cover of Bob Dylan's "Forever Young". It's no competition for a coming cover by a duster-haired Brit.

8. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter

Well Watley at least hailed from Shalamar so there was some history but, yeah, I definitely didn’t know her name...YET

9. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter

Diana was notoriously difficult to work with. I know a few people who have had the um... pleasure :D

The Slug Man, sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

I still like Do They Know It's Christmas, there's nothing wrong with it.

We Are the World, on the other hand, I agree with Geldof. It's awful. So is its copycat Canadian track Tears are Not Enough.

AppleBonker and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I wonder if she's mellowed over the years. I remember she was on the last season of Oprah's talk show and I was surprised at how delightful she came off being

12. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's go ahead and do our year end review now, since the next song will take us all the way to the end of January of 1985.

greelywinger likes this.
  13. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is one of my faves, coming in at #49 on the year end chart.

John54, MikeInFla, Yam Graham and 3 others like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Senior Member

One explanation I read is that she was still used to the way Motown machine worked: they assigned writers, producers, and arrangers, and all she had to do was come in and lay down her vocal tracks. She really couldn't be bothered with the chores of production, so, while some of her RCA albums list her as producer or executive producer, she turned that task over to her engineer, unless she actually hired someone like Daryl Hall, Lionel Richie, Luther Vandross, Gary Katz, or Barry Gibb. The point is, she was used to things being done for her, and that is partly why it is said she was so difficult.

The other reason is that she helped Motown in their success, and she had Berry Gordy. She had no such protection or status at RCA. All she was to RCA was an artist that had to produce hits or risk getting dropped by the label.

sunspot42 and pablo fanques like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Senior Member

This was very, very popular, and remains a favorite today.

16. Grant

Grant Senior Member

Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer

I'd post a video but the only official one I found has bad video quality.

Lance LaSalle and pablo fanques like this.
  17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Don Henley is worse than Prince used to be about YouTube. He has people who routinely check to remove solo as well as Eagles clips on there

sunspot42 and pablo fanques like this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Here's the best single and best song of the '80s in my opinion (it's from '84) -

Icicle Works, Hollow Horse:

19. Grant

Grant Senior Member

They didn't find all of them.

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yet...

Grant and pablo fanques like this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Agreed on Harrison, but I think Harry Chapin deserves a mention here as well. He never had a charity single as such, but he founded World Hunger Year and literally gave most of his royalties to charity when Bob Geldof was still best known for mouthing off at interviewers.

I hated "We are the World" then and I hate it now. I think the last time I heard it was shortly after 9/11, which didn't help matters at all. "Do they Know it's Christmas" does have redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned, though I've never liked that video with everyone arriving by limousine. The line about "thank God it's them instead of you" never sat well with me either. I won't be thanking any deity that anyone is starving to death when there's more than enough food for everyone if only we could get it to them, thank you very much. Also, most Ethiopians weren't Christians and thus probably didn't care any more than they knew if it was Christmas. But I do like the "feed the world" refrain.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think she's bipolar. Definitely had an alcohol problem. I've heard good and bad. I suspect she's also mellowed with age, as some do.

I think this was a huge issue for her. She'd been the Queen of Motown for around 15 years, and of course was Gordy's lover. He'd focused on her probably to the detriment of Motown as a whole. She lost that support system overnight when she split for RCA. I'm sure they had ideas for her that she probably didn't agree with.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

One of my favorite hits of the decade - I think it got mentioned a couple of times upthread. Freestyle had arrived, although its heyday was still a few years off.

24. Grant

Grant Senior Member

Religion

62.8% Christianity
    —43.5% Ethiopian Orthodoxy
    —18.6% Pentay (Protestantism)
    —0.7% Catholicism
    33.9% Islam
    2.6% Traditional faiths
    0.7% Others/None[4]

And a quick Google search:

Ethiopia (and especially the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church) celebrates Christmas on January 7th, not December 25th. ... The Christmas celebration in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is called Ganna or Genna. Most people go to Church on Christmas day.

Also, my childhood friend spent several years living in Ethiopia in the 70s. He could also tell you that what you claim is bollocks.

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Senior Member

The last two major things that I read was that

1) she was arrested and sentenced for DUI driving in Tucson, driving down the wrong side of the road. She bargained to do her time in Connecticut doing her jail time on weekends.

2) She threw a hissy fit in a treatment in L.A. while attempting to dine with her daughter. I don't recall the exact situation.

She does not tolerate being photographed with flash cameras. Reason? Her retinas were damaged by a careless photographer back in the 70s.

And, again, she was used to the royal treatment because of Motown and the protection of Berry Gordy. She had been famous since she was a teenager. You could say that being rich and famous is all she knows aside from childhood.

Yup. And, like any child who had outgrown their paternal protection wanted to "live on her own". The problem is, she didn't have all of the life lessons to do that.