Elton John on cd-best sound questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 17, 2012.

1. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

No, not that I'm aware of.
    The Japan for US JVC is nice :)

2. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Jvc? Do you mean djm?

3. George P

George P Notable Member

No, he means MCA (Japan for JVC.)

c-eling and onm3rcur7 like this.
  4. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Great. Just ordered a copy!

5. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Japan-for-US Captain Fantastic is fantastic, but the West German DJM cd is definitive for me.

George P, onm3rcur7 and Plan9 like this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The recent SHM CDs are fantastic.

ego1jr and HotelYorba101 like this.
  7. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

I also ordered a djm to compare. Cant wait!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    c-eling and George P like this.
  8. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

It will depend whether you like the UK LP EQ'd sound or master tape sound (albeit tape dub)

yasujiro and c-eling like this.
  9. ricks

ricks Custom Title:

Something about the tonality (especially in the low end) on the JVC Japan based mastering is "just right" to my ears. The DJM too is Excellent but perhaps a tad too clinical in comparision. Either way they both are World Class masterings!

10. smith6552

smith6552 Forum Resident

Just came across the Polydor Captain Fantastic, Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau and Yellow Brick Road.

Tumbleed and Honky Chateau are better than the original MCA.
    I can't speak for the other single disc Yellow Brick Road, but the Polydor blows the crap out of the original two disc MCA.
    I have all three original pressings of Captain Fantastic. The Polydor is easily the most natural sounding and detailed. The US MCA is the worst - super harsh and thin. The JVC Japan for US is a little better - not as harsh but still a little thin sounding.

c-eling likes this.
  11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Forum Resident

For me, The Superior Sound of Elton John disc was the exact opposite. I bought that shortly after it came out because it was a compilation disc that actually had Love Lies Bleeding on it (which is far and away my favorite of anything he has ever done). I also was suckered by the B.S. marketing on it that all the songs would now sound even better than they originally did. The remix on that disc turned Love Lies Bleeding into the wimpiest version possible -- every bit of strength and grit was taken out of it, and the vocals and la-de-da backing harmonies boosted over everything else -- ruined the song completely for my taste. I thought most of the other tracks on it weren't improvements either. Maybe I should have kept it as a collector item, but it made me angry as a rip-off every time I saw it on the shelf, I dumped it in a store trade.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. peteham

peteham Forum Resident

It bugged me that Gus mixed out the stick clicks on Curtains. I did appreciate the acoustic guitar on Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - I also thought Someone Saved My Life Tonight sounded better, but I haven't listened to that comp in many years, and I have it on vinyl and CD.

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

The latest SHM-CD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is in my opinion the best version available currently. The MFSL is fantastic as well, and was my go-to until this version. To my ears, maybe it is the fact that it is a new transfer, but the fidelity is on point and the album is crankable and analog-y

Instant Karma likes this.
  14. phred

phred Forum Resident

Imagine this depends on the listeners gear and how they listen
    On the early CDs the DJM are fine
    Have the MFSL GBYBR and to my ears on my systems the DJM is better.

15. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Interesting for Yellow.
    The US two disc MCA uses the Japan mastering and was carried on to the single disc Polydor.
    They sound identical to me, which is good as I love this mastering :)
    [​IMG]

princesskiki likes this.
  16. smith6552

smith6552 Forum Resident

There must be multiple US MCAs for Yellow Brick Road also. My 2 disc US MCA is NOT Japan for US and is pretty crappy. The single disc Polydor is much better.
    I don't know if it matches the DJM. I don't come across those where I live.

17. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

I have just heard tumbleweed connection for the 1st time in my life. On mfsl. Cranked up.

Wow.

:righton:

George P likes this.
  18. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Have the new SHM-CDs changed anyone's minds when it comes to the best sounding Elton John CDs?

ego1jr likes this.
  19. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

I'd like to know this as well!

20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Forum Resident

There’s a huge thread on the SHMs here. Overall, they seem to have gone down very well.

MedozK and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, the SHMs are fantastic. Sound-wise and packaging wise. I dumped a lot of my '95 remasters (not a huge shocker there).

I highly recommend Captain Fantastic, Blue Moves, GYBR, and Madman.

I wish they would keep going thru the 80s and even the 90s.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

CBackley likes this.
  24. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just got a "Captain Fantastic" off of eBay. It was listed as a made in Japan, but in fact, was made in Canada by Cinram. It's an early MCA (MCAD-31078). I just wanted to see what the general opinion is. I've listened to it, and it sounds good to me, but it is very soft, and I don't consider that a problem. I'm hearing detail, resonance, instrument decay...all sounds pretty natural. What say the jury?

25. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I owned the original MCA and it sounds like the UNI LP with that weird compression where you would hear a loud peak and the volume would drop like a FM radio.
    The DJM disc sounds waaaaay better and doesn't have the compression issue.

There was a interview in ICE Magazine with Gus Dudgeon when the 1996 remasters came out that is interesting.
    First he states "I don't which tapes MFSL used for their discs since I have all of the original masters in my possession and they weren't used" to which sources are missing and what was used for the '95 remasters (missing: TC original master for side 2, safety copy used for side 2 - Rock Of The Westies, safety used the the original tapes are missing - Empty Sky, 2nd generation tape used since the original tapes are long gone). I'm hoping one day Internet Archive will post the back issues of ICE.

I found this thread online on the '95 reissues.

"Horrible Elton John remasters" a myth?

CBackley likes this.