Elton John on cd-best sound questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

US Polydor's are same as DJM ?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, but the question is which DJM. WG, UK, Jpn DJMs not always the same, but the US Polydors will match one of them.

Scope J likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Thanks

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

How does the MCA of EJ compare
    to the Polydor?

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Some MCA copies match the Polydor and some contain an earlier by all accounts inferior mastering (poor tape
    source). As far as I know, there is no easy way to tell the MCAs apart. I happen to have one of the good ones (discovered during the course of an old thread when I wondered why my MCA cd didn't sound terrible like everyone said it should :))

Scope J likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Thanks, will hold out for a Polydor

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I am blown away by the sound of:

Honky Chateau: Made In Japan for U.S. MCAD-31104 - Compact Disc - Compact Price. Highly recommend!

This sounds like heaven. I have a Tumbleweed MFSL coming. But, I'm done w this title. Have the DJM vinyl. But, just enjoying CDs lately. About to play my Cap Fantastic cd Japan for US now.

princesskiki likes this.
  8. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I have Don't Shoot me as a Japan for EU pressing and that also sound absolutelly fabulous !!

princesskiki and Clanceman like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I absolutely agree. :targettiphat:

I'm curious about any differences between pressings since it's supposed to be one of the worse MCA cd's. If this particular pressing is part of that my ears must be defective!

princesskiki and Clanceman like this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yep - this is my final copy. I have Tumbleweed MFSL, but after loads of research, emails, talking to ppl - I decided to pick up many of these Japan for US cds. I wish I started & ended there long ago. Just perfect, imo

George P likes this.
  11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have a Japan for USA MCA CD of Tumbleweed Connection coming my way. Very excited!

So that I make sure I’m looking at the right thing, would someone be kind enough to post Discogs links for the Japan for USA MCA CDs for Madman, Honky Chateau, and Captain Fantastic? Am I missing any other Japan for USA CDs one should seek out? (S/T? Don’t Shoot Me?)

12. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I have Japan for USA Don't shoot me. Absolutely stunning sound ! By lack of a SACD, I'd say you can't get any better than that for this title.

13. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Princesskiki,
    I have been reading various Elton threads and came across this very informative post by you back several years. I have a question regarding this title. I have a MCA-31190 disc with MCAD-37200-1T 17 in the matrix with tetris blocks in about a third of the ring. Would this by some chance be the same mastering as the US JVC? It does not show JVC anywhere but the 37200 in the matrix leads me to believe it may be the same. It is in large print though. Thank you very much.

princesskiki likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Hey,

If you want to get EAC Peak levels for your disc I can compare them to my US JVC CD when I get home later today.

15. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi. Your disc was made from a JVC US stamper. UNLESS there is another set of matrix besides the one you mention, it is a JVC US pressing.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

For Madman wasn't there just one early worldwide?, I've got a Japan For US JVC, (no barcode smoothie)
    Peaks match my old US Poly #02 which matches the old German.
    Nice sounding disc.

sonnyrock, princesskiki and George P like this.
  18. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi Cory!
    From my experience with close to 20 copies of MCA Madman from the 80's, they are the same mastering.
    They are, however, different from DJM WG Polygram and DJM UK pressings. I never had the US Polydor.
    I suspect that someone at MCA around 1980 to 1984 got a hold of the mixed down tape and mastered it anew for their vinyl reissue, and that is the tape that was used for the MCA CD's in the 80's. All I know is that NO vinyl pressings whether in the UK, US or Japan sounds like the MCA CD (but I have yet to find a clean 80's MCA LP). Prior to the MCA CD, all vinyl pressings that I have heard sounds EQ'd. The DJM CD's sound like they were sourced from the UK vinyl mastering. MFSL gold CD does not sound any better. Even the DCC LP sounds like it was from the same source as the UK vinyl mastering. The MCA CD is quite special indeed!

19. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Excellent info as always Caroline, thanks!

princesskiki and George P like this.
  20. Instant Karma

Thank you so much for your response. I do like the way it sounds and was having a hard time imagining how it could sound better. Oh, and there is no other set of matrix in the inner ring.

princesskiki likes this.
  21. Instant Karma

Thanks George. I got my answer from Princesskiki.

princesskiki likes this.
  22. ricks

ricks Custom Title:

Hello Majestyk,

Yes and no on that being the first CD version available. Yes on it using the first CD mastering for the title, No on it being the first available. The first CD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was the MCA Japan for US pressed by Sony Japan. It will have a repeating "CSR Compact Disc" [AKA 3XCSR] in the plastic hub and the matrix will contain DIDX-87 [Disc 1] and DIDX-88 [Disc 2].

A brief timeline:

Mid to late 1983 (based on the DIDX #) is when the Sony pressed 3XCSR MCA Japan for US was issued. This the first worldwide pressing of the title on CD.

The WG DJM has a catalog of 821 747-2 so it was issued late 1984 or early 1985. The WG DJM contains the same mastering as the Sony 3XCSR MCA Japan for US. Making the DJM nothing more than re-hashed re-issue :) I also personally prefer the back tray artwork on the MCA Japan for US pressed by Sony Japan although I do not know which is more authentic. Of course the later MCA pressings [like the JVC] likley remove the back art altogether...

Lastly I prefer the MCA Japan for US pressed by Sony Japan based mastering over the MFSL. However if it did not exist then I would be more than happy with the MFSL.

Disclo$ure: I paid $40USD+shipping for the DJM in 2007, and $5.00 :) for the Sony pressed 3XCSR in 2016. I believe [never logged it] I paid $30 for the MFSL in 2014. I still own all 3 and have no plans to change that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  23. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert

My go to discs are the MFSL MCA stamped, if you don’t want to spend the money the original MCA with yellow spine is my go to as with the original DJm target era pressing!!

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

ego1jr and Boy Blue like this.
  25. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Was captain fantastic mastered by steve hoffman on mca?