Elton John on cd-best sound questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I should say without de-emphasing it. Whether it has pre-emphasis flags, I don't know. One day I'll get my CD player going and test it out.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you have a PC you can test whether it has PE using EAC.

For more information, see this thread.

3. Nobby

Nobby Forum Resident

To my ears all the UK DJMs are a bit bright. (I assume the MCA you have is a clone)

I've just loaded my UK DJM fatboy into EAC and there is no pre-emphasis flag.

Currently my preferred "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is the 2014 vinyl. It's not so bright as the UK DJM CD, has a much tighter bass, but is compressed and more than likely sourced from a digital tape.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Mine is the 1980 Direct Disc Audiophile Reissue Half Speed (Mastered from the Original Master Tapes.)

5. Nobby

Nobby Forum Resident

Sadly I've never heard that release.

6. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I have so far compared the MFSL CD, the original Yellow vinyl, the original UK DJM vinyl, and now this MCA CD.

The best by a mile is the UK DJM vinyl. The mid range just can't be touched. I haven't heard the Direct Disc. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, one needs an older version and it still doesn't work for all CD's with emphasis.

EddieT likes this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Can anyone offer any comments/thoughts about the various masterings of Elton's 1980's material? I have all the Rocket remasters from the mid/late 1990s but I'm on a bit of a "return to original masterings" bender at the moment and wonder whether albums like The Fox, Breaking Hearts, Reg Strikes Back and Sleeping With The Past would benefit from me tracking down the originals.

8. Not sure about those others (since they are my least played EJ albums) but, in the case of Too Low For Zero, Jump Up and 21 At 33 the original Rocket is preferred by me for Zero while the other two the original MCA's sound fine.

Paul H likes this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Would anyone care to chime in?

10. serj

serj Forum Resident

I have " Too Low For Zero" remaster. Don't think that it's sound bad. But i don't have original CD to compare.

Carlox likes this.
  11. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Just got a WG DJM CD of Capt Fantastic. Will compare to the 1995 Gus remaster and the 2005 reissue when I get a chance

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

This is an easy one to hear the dynamic compression on the remaster. Listen when the electric guitar comes in on the opening track. The contrast between the DJM and the remaster is pretty stark.

EddieT likes this.
  13. Fox67

Fox67 Stuck in the 60's

I've seen W.German Capt. Fantastic (not sure of other titles) with the DJM/Album Title/Song Titles written in Yellow on the cd face with all other writing in Black........then others with the color scheme reversed.
    Is this random or was one released later but with the same artwork?

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

^ All mine are the other way round. You might have an uncommon variation. :)

15. Fox67

Fox67 Stuck in the 60's

My copy has the DJM & titles in Black and the matrix ends in 01*
    Just got confirmation that the other scheme ends in 02..........

16. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert

The Japan usa MCAs from the early to mid 1980s are excellent sounding the MFSL sounds best to me very warm the polydors do no justice just like later abba polydors

snowman872 likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

I like my Polydor Tumbleweed Connection more than any other CD for this title. I think the mastering is the same as the early DJM.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

I finally locate a copy of the MCA JVC and found your statement is very correct. Thank you, Kiki!

princesskiki likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I have a USA MCA JVC CD. Do you know if it has the same mastering as the Japan for USA JVC MCA CD?

20. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi. I hope you are enjoying The Stranger CD. It is not quite as good as the original white label promo vinyl pressing mastered by Robert Ludwig, but it is (unfortunately or fortunately, depending whether you are a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty person) still the closest CD pressing out there. (By the way, the original Sony SACD is also very close BUT the more recent MFSL SACD is WAY off.)

As for your question on the Madman CD, if you already own a US JVC CD, the chances are quite good indeed that you have the same mastering as the Japan for US JVC CD. :agree:

From my experience (which is quite extensive when it comes to different CD pressings from '82 to '87 of numerous albums), there are not many instances where the later US JVC CD pressing of a given album is sourced from a totally different digital transfer mastering (as opposed to different production mastering) from the earlier Japan for US JVC CD pressing.

If your CD has the tiny italicized font in the matrix (as opposed to the large laser printed matrix with either or both of "tetris blocks" and/or "MFD. BY JVC" in the matrix), then your CD should be virtually identical to the Japan for US JVC disc, as they are probably made from the same glass master (and, depending on your matrix, perhaps even the exact same stamper!).

If your CD has the larger LASER printed matrix with either or both of "tetris blocks" and/or "MFD. BY JVC" in the matrix, then your disc was made from a different stamper but probably from the same digital master. I have tested at least 2 US JVC discs of this album with the laser printed matrix and they both sounded virtually identical to the early JVC Japan for US discs (of which I have had at least 10 copies over the years). There is, of course, a small possibility that there is a later US JVC CD pressing of this album that I have not listened to which may have a different mastering.

(On a side note, I think JVC's mastering equipment changed a bit around 1987 and I have noticed over the years that some of those CD's that were even made from the same digital transfer mastering may sound a tiny bit different between an early Japan for US JVC disc versus the later US JVC disc with the laser printed matrix, perhaps due to a different production mastering equipment. When I do notice a bit of difference in the sound, it is typically that the later US JVC has a tendency to sound "clearer" and "more defined" BUT "less warm.") Then, of course, there are very few instances where the later US JVC disc was made from a different mastering (for example, one of The Fixx albums, where the later mastering has the volume jacked up and EQ'd at the high and mid frequencies).

Once I find an early US MCA vinyl pressing of this album (which is the last remaining point of comparison), I will try to post a theory on why the JVC CD of this album sounds so different from the other CD and vinyl pressings out there.

21. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I purchased this version (2 set MCA version) back in 1984. Over the years I compared it to a few others (MFSL and Polydor), and I like it best. I agree that is is brighter, but I tend to prefer that. I have not compared it to the new anniversary editions.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed on the MFSL and yes, I am enjoying The Stranger CD. Thanks again for that!

Yes to the bolded portion. Good to know it is probably the same digital master. What is the total time of your Japan for MCA CD?

23. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Oops! Sorry for the late reply:
    45:19 :wave:

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Forum Resident

I have several SACDs - Madman, Honky Chateau, Peachtree Road, Capt Fantastic, the GYBR triple disc set and redbook for the rest. No issues with any of them, they all sound good; DJM, Rocket, etc. Pretty safe purchases and the GYBR MoFi is pretty cheap too.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Mine is 45:19 too! :goodie:

princesskiki likes this.