Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Wonder why they didnt include this right mix before they released this set? Was it found after they already completed the project or what?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They didn't realize they had the wrong mix. It was noticed by fans when release. Apparently the tape box had writing on it which made them think it was the single tape.

avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. I’m actually quite happy with this mistake. And it keeps them from reselling us a WFTS reissue with this as a bonus track 5 years from now.

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't mind the mistake as I listen to everything as digital files anyway. But why would they put Wishful Sinful on WFTS?

5. Sorry Soft Parade. I don’t want to give them any ideas about shifting songs around albums!

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

"Wishful Sinful" now recently discovered on Waiting for the Sun!

avp2029, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

As usual.

As usual.

Because apparently, no one thought it was worth taking 10 minutes to check. As usual!

And then some people find it strange that Doors fans become jaded.

8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

No need for that tone. I was trying to discourage this thread from being shut down. I couldn't care less if it's posted but it doesn't take much to get Doors threads shut on here.

9. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have "Light My Fire" as a download hi-res 24/192 file from Qobuz. Is this version also from the "the original hi-res Quadraphonic mix of 1973 compilation The Best Of The Doors"?

10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I doubt it. The quadro mixes were only available on physical formats officially.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I also doubt that the hi-res version has any other source. I have compared both download files:

Flac 16 bit 44.1 kHz:

[​IMG]

Flac 24 bit 192 kHz:

[​IMG]

Both files have the same levels.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    SinnerSaint likes this.
  12. murch

murch Forum Resident

I think our host also mentioned that he did new mastering for the stereo mixes on the quad disc (s). If you are looking for the ultimate high res version of light my fire, it's the one on the VA Legends SACD. Steve Hoffman did a remix (I think?) and remaster from the master tapes for that one and to my ears it's the best the song has ever sounded.

PhantomStranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. John22

John22 Forum Resident

But "Light My Fire" on the SACD ist not the single version. The running time ist 6:58.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Of course. Murch mentioned that the SACD version was a new remix from original tapes by our host.
    The compilation you got from Qobuz is made of single versions which were digitized from analog sources strictly for that release so they differ to the album mixes and running times for most of those songs. That what makes that particular Singles compilation interesting for Doors fans.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. avp2029

avp2029 Well-Known Member

I know its been a few years now, but are we sure the stereo mixes for HILY and Love Street are correct on this set? I've read in several places that the single mixes were different stereo mixes than those on the album, and that Love Street ran shorter than the album version. However, both tracks on this set seem identical to the album versions to me (in both mix and length). Am I wrong? I definitely don't have the most discerning ear, so please let me know if I am, or if the single mixes are in fact supposed to be identical to the album. Thanks!

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Forum Resident

They all came from the single master reels.

Hep Alien, avp2029 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. murch

murch Forum Resident

You could check the mixes on the Japan singles set to be sure - most of those I think are direct from vintage 45's?

The length of those from the Japan set are 2:18 (hello I love you) and 2:50 (love street).

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.