Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There was nothing wrong with Roadhouse Blues. Folks here were comparing it to a video on youtube that claimed to be the single but was actually the 2006/7 remixed version, which caused some confusion.

avp2029, Shawn, Six Bachelors and 4 others like this.
  2. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

We should get the correct stereo version of Wishful Sinful 45rpm sometime this year. Maybe.
    There is still room in the box for it.
    :evil:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

That would be great but I specifically asked the label if corrected discs would be issued and was told they wouldn't. If they won't re-do the CDs, no way they'll redo the 45...sadly for those of you who are stuck with it.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

So this new Wishful Sinful stereo 45 vinyl version is incorrect, even the singles CD too? That sucks, I also purchased this set. Is there a correct original stereo 45 vinyl version? What about the AP 45rpm vinyl on lp, is it correct or not?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I think the only way you can get the correct single mix on vinyl is to track down an original 1969 single. You can grab a digital copy of the mix from post #1717 in this thread.

SOONERFAN, Shawn, Edmoney and 4 others like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

The issue is that there were two original stereo mixes of Wishful Sinful released - the stereo mix on the 45 and a different stereo mix on the LP. They put neither on this set - instead they put a third, previously unreleased stereo mix onto the digital and vinyl copies of this set.

As @ascot said, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to get the original single mix on wax but an original single...hence the excitement, at least around these parts, that they were going to release it on this set...followed by the disappointment at the mistake.

PhantomStranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You left out how we were finally able to pry the correct version out of the record label. Shameful > Sinful > Repentful

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. It's coming on the 75th anniversary set...

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

So it's coming "soon" then?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Just remember, ‘things change’.

Matthew Tate and rnranimal like this.
  11. David P. Hill

Did the label give a legitimate reason why they didn't place the original master tape, the correct stereo version of Wishful Sinful song? A great, sounding singles set, but no we couldn't have a perfect set, no way, kind of like the London Fog set, an incomplete set, another reason we have to shell out more money, ugh!

Sidewinder43 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. I'm guessing it was a simple mistake. This didn't seem like an intentional omission designed to leave stuff off for a future release.

Sidewinder43, Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. David P. Hill

If it was a mistake why don't do a replacement corrected stereo version from the original analog tape and send it out to the ones that bought this The Doors singles vinyl box set? It shouldn't be that much trouble. If they have decided they won't what's their excuse? Who would be the one to contact, Rothchild or Botnick? Dr. Rhino?

Sidewinder43 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. I'm not sure it will get fixed given the current state of physical media in the music industry. Labels aren't bending over backwards to fix mistakes these days.

Galley and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Yes - an error. I was told the stereo mix that was released on this set was on a tape marked "cutting master" and assumed by the producer(s) of this set to be the correct one.

PhantomStranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Forum Resident

Not sure how I missed this. When was this uploaded, was there an official announcement?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. This is one time where I'm not particularly upset. Seems like an honest mistake, and they at least made the original 45 mix available for free digitally. To be honest, I'd rather have this alternate previously-unavailable vintage mix than the standard mix, if given a choice - the original mix is easily found on the original 45 so having the alternate is pretty cool. Let's put it this way, if that alternate mix was accidentally released and the set was recalled to fix it, you can bet those recalled versions would be going for some serious $$$.

18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Forum Resident

Uploaded on November 15, 2017.
    No official announcement that I'm aware of.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Play it every day!!

20. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

That download link is pretty amazing. A 192/16 flat transfer of an original master tape isn't something a record label usually gives away for free. haha

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. Thrilled they did it. The download went into my Hi Res folder, while I also converted a copy into AAC to match with my rip of the CD set. Put it in its proper place and moved the previously unreleased mix to the end of DIsc 2 as a bonus track. Done and dusted.

When I was playing it, my wife asked what it was - she had no memory of the song at all despite having owned Soft Parade when she was a teen. So she was pleased to hear what was, for her, a new Doors cut!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. murch

murch Forum Resident

Agreed, the singles set is fantastic, something the doors did right.. Yeah there's a mistake but you can imagine how hard it would be to keep track of all the different vintage mixes.

Shawn, superstar19 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Grant

Grant Senior Member

This is the first i'm hearing about it. Where can I get it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Senior Member

Matthew Tate and Ben Adams like this.