Don't "upgrade" to Catalina if you have a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Kristofa

Kristofa Car Scratch Melt Repeat

Does Max support multiple drives being used simultaneously?

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I find that fix to not be permanent. For example, I've had to reconcile my split Beatles albums several times, and it continues to show two separate artists called "The Beatles" in the artist list view.

3. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

Thanks for the info! Is there any advantage to using Max over XLD?

4. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Speaking for myself, I like the simplicity of the drag-and-drop conversion in Max. XLD seems a little more complex for my needs. But both do the job. Would like to hear what others think.

Yakr likes this.
  5. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller

I really appreciate you mentioning this. It was my go-to for making FLACs. Thank you. (and plenty of time at home to do it right now)

Yakr likes this.
  6. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

I agree with this answer. I use Max for the rip and then XLD when/if I want to convert to Apple Lossless to add to my iPhone. That way I can leave the settings for each application alone.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  7. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean here. I'm pretty sure you can only specify one target location.

I rip to one external drive and have an Automator script that copies all updates and changes from that drive over to another as a backup. I run that script every once in a while or if I've ripped a number of CD's.

8. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

I should also add that the Max developer has a Donate button on his main page.

9. John_Chambers

John_Chambers Member

I have run into a very frustrating issue. I have finally updated my macbook operating system from Mojave to Catalina as I was having an album art issue on my iTunes which they say is fixed in the music app in Catalina.

However now that I’ve done so play counts on my music app do not update when I sync my ipod touch, iPhone or iPad. I have spent hours on the phone to Apple and the result is they say there is no way to have my play counts update from my devices now unless I subscribe to either Apple Music or Itunes Match. It seems insane that they would stop such a standard feature from all previous versions of iTunes, they do not seem interested in fixing the issue.

I can now either live with the lack of play counts updating in Catalina or downgrade to Mojave again and have artwork issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk "You say you'll change the constitution"

I know what you mean. I have lived with that since updating to Catalina right at the beginning. I am an Apple proponent and I am comfortable with all my Apple devices however this is just a case in my opinion of marketing "gotcha". They want subscriptions pure and simple.

11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I'm kinda done defending Apple with this Music app. It's riddled with bugs.

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

My play counts update perfectly when I play songs on my iPhone.

Galley likes this.
  13. John_Chambers

John_Chambers Member

Thanks for the replies. I got this advice on another forum:

'Look in System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing, to confirm “Devices update play counts” has been selected.'

I did this and the play counts updated from all of my devices! But unfortunately after restarting my mac all of the play counts made after the Catalina update were now gone again. Any ideas how to sort this new issue?

JediJoker and Atmospheric like this.
  14. Atmospheric

I really dislike when user preferences get set goofy by default, and the preference gets buried. Glad you solved this problem. Play counts and times are essential for how I listen to my library. I listen randomly to everything but Christmas music. But I use Last Played to queue up ~200 songs that I listened to least recently. This is one reason that I cannot easily substitute another player for Music (iTunes). Apple disallows any external vendor from updating play counts. It really sucks. And I cannot think of one good reason that should be the case.

wavertonwood and danomar like this.
  15. John_Chambers

John_Chambers Member

Thanks, but unfortunately I have not solved the issue as the play counts disappear when I close the music app. Any thoughts on how to fix this would be most appreciated!

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Car Scratch Melt Repeat

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant multiple CD drives for ripping multiple discs simultaneously.

17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Same with restricting Genius in iOS to Apple Music subscribers. It worked through Siri up until sometime last year, but now if you ask to "start Genius" or "make a Genius playlist," you'll be told you need an Apple Music subscription to do that. What is the point? Who are the target demo who would convert?

18. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

Ah gotcha. Pretty sure that's not an option. I've also noticed that if I try to access the folder that I'm writing to, e.g. to drop in some album art, then everything slows right down. That might be to do with the speed of the NAS itself, I suppose, because I wouldn't expect that to happen on my Mac's drive.

19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I just noticed the iOS Remote app now works with the new (Catalina) Music App. Now I have my free music server back online. Don't use it much but it's nice to have it as an option.

BUT...the updated remote app will not work with my ancient iPad mini :sigh:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  20. Tyler

Tyler Forum Resident

I held out against upgrading to Catalina for a long time. Finally bit the bullet when it was time to replace my music server with a new Mac Mini.
    I have few complaints about the music app compared to itunes. Everything is MUCH faster (although having the application and library files on an SSD certainly help).

Plex makes syncing music a breeze, so I’m not even put off about using the Finder to sync media.

On the rare occasion I have a music disc to rip, XLD is still a fanastic (and free) application.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  21. eleven thousand

eleven thousand Active Member

I love this conversation! People after my own heart! I am still on Mojave but am preparing mentally for the death of my iTunes which is one of the most important things to me. I have a large 11,000+ song curated library on my iMac which I use 8-12 hours a day mostly on shuffle and is the soundtrack to my life! Updating from 10.13 to Mojave was a drag because iTunes removed the option of the slider on the volume control for each song. So now some songs are too loud or too quiet and cannot be changed except by huge increments (I have very sensitive hearing). My QUESTION is about meta-data as I extensively use: 1. custom genres, 2. description field and sometimes the comment filed, 3. iTunes EQ as well as CUSTOM eq on many songs, 4. per song start and stop times, 5. per song volume settings. So do these migrate over to the new app and do they function as they used to? I use mostly ALAC and WAV files. iTunes has had a bug forever with AIFF files where the individual song volume could not be changed after being initially set. I wonder if that has been fixed, too? Thank you!

mr. suit likes this.
  22. Atmospheric

Metadata seems to migrate over 100%. I don’t use the volume or EQ attributes at the songfile level.

May I suggest iVolume for controlling loudness? I find it indispensable.

eleven thousand and JediJoker like this.
  23. dconsmack

dconsmack Forum Resident

Just to make sure… the metadata from the comments box will migrate over, yes? I’ve put in countless hours putting in the data of specific CD catalog numbers, release year, needle drop info etc, into this box. I would be devastated if I lost this work.

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

If possible, I'd recommend (if you can do it) exporting the metadata. I've done that with MediaMonkey to ensure that all of the metadata I've updated (such as the actual year for each track in a compilation and composer credits) saved as a spreadsheet so I've got it in case something happens to the actual files.

dconsmack likes this.
  25. Atmospheric

Definitely. I use comments to store performance date and venue for live tracks. Migrates 100%.

dconsmack likes this.