Coming January 2020 - Miles Davis' "Live Evil" Quad Mix On SACD In 7" Mini LP Package

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Dec 3, 2019.

1. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i can't remember specific titles off the top of my head but Sony's Mark Wilder did some Miles Davis remixes in the early-mid 2000's that never saw release, i guess its possible Black Beauty was in 5.1 and was among them?

on a related tangent, i've often wondered if he remixed things like Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock's Future Shock in 5.1 for the cancelled Sony MultiCh SACD releases (circa 2002/2003) but have no idea & info.

jfeldt likes this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I do not have a quad or 5.1 set up but the information on CD Japan indicates there is a 2 channel remaster done in 2019 (I think). I have the Japan 7 inch Bitches Brew package which although expensive was worth every penny so I shall get this forthcoming release. I have the album in the Sony albums box. Did MFSL ever do the album? My only other version is a Japan card sleeve but I cannot remember which year and I have a late 70s vinyl. I assume there was only one stereo mix - is that correct? The quad mix it seems came out in 1972 I think.

Thanks to ATR re post 31 on this thread.

frightwigwam likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson Just a Lucky So-and-so

MFSL has not done this one. I am not sure if there there has been a remix in the digital era of the stereo version.

rxcory and Flaming Torch like this.
  4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, this is interesting news.
    We'll see how the old finances look in January..

5. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I saw a mention of Santana Lotus somewhere. Is there a way to see all the titles in this series?

Clucking likes this.
  6. granola

granola Forum Resident

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

One of my holy grails, been waiting for this since the birth of surround sound sacd.

Warrenville33, Simon A and RiRiIII like this.
  8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Looks like this will be shipping in about a week.

jeffreybh likes this.
  9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy shipped from Japan yesterday and is expected to be delivered tomorrow!!!!!!!! Can't wait.

jfeldt and Simon A like this.
  10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Mine is currently scheduled for a Thursday delivery, but I see it made it from Japan to the U.S. overnight and it wouldn’t surprise me if I get it earlier.

DHL is delivering mine and I’ve already pre-signed for it. Nothing worse than missing the driver and seeing one of those “sorry we missed you” notes on the door because they needed a sig.

11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy showed this morning, and I just finished listening to Disc one in surround. WOW!!! As Discrete a 4 channel mix as I have ever heard. Sonics are great as well.

Lets hope for more of these legacy JSACDs in the future. If Dutton won't release the Sony 4.0 mixes, them let Sony Japan do so!!

Great surround disc. Stellar.

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Glad you're enjoying the Quad mix Mike. As for Dutton/Vocalion, they've been releasing many legacy Quad mixes owned by Sony. Maybe Sony Japan is keeping some for themselves.

rxcory likes this.
  13. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I ordered mine from HMV Lawson since I had a $25 coupon credit to use. All it says on my order is 'Waiting For Stock Arrival'. What total losers. I wonder if they forgot to order any in.

14. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

And, indeed, I did get it earlier... today! Didn’t have a chance to listen to it, though.

GerryO likes this.
  15. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

Have you listened to the stereo layer? How does the mastering sound (dynamic or compressed)?

JediJoker likes this.
  16. shakti

shakti Forum Resident

The only one I heard of before was A Tribute to Jack Johnson, or more specifically, the whole 5 disc sessions box set. When that came out in 2004(?) I remember the booklet said it was mixed simultaneously to 5.1 DSD. We are all still hoping for the release of that, but chances are looking slim. If there are other known Miles Davis multichannel mixes I would be very anxious to hear them.

Still waiting for my copy of this new quad SACD. After that, bring on the Santanas!

Simon A and fredblue like this.
  17. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

I received it yesterday and listened the 2.0 :

Stellar ! Detailed and far superior of the previous editions, i can at last up the volume from amp way higher than before and i love it !

18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Multichannel mix is excellent. Far exceeds my admittedly modest expectations. It’s as good as the mix of Call It Anything in Miles Electric. Package is just as good as Bitches Brew and Lotus from the same series.

Simon A, JediJoker, fredblue and 4 others like this.
  19. GregM

GregM Ready to cross that fine line

I ordered this on 1/24 for about $45 shipped. Looking forward to the mch in particular.

Seeing @shakti 's avatar above makes me wish Sony Japan would give a similar treatment to Shakti! The chances are nil, I guess.

fredblue likes this.
  20. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I’ve mentioned that lost mix of the Johnson sessions box many times, most recently in this thread. They should have issued it as a hybrid instead of the red book but there were probably royalty issues or something. Always something...

Simon A likes this.
  21. rxcory

rxcory jazz band/marching band parent

The redbook layer on this one [SICJ 10012~3] is my favorite to date – it has heft and presence, it has all the headroom of any previous release, and yet with richer bass and mids. I am not picking up on any added compression with my ears or eyes: waveforms look gorgeous, with full transients and no peak limiting. The loud parts are loud and the softer passages are soft.

My previous favorite was [50DP 707~8], but comparing them now, the 50DP sounds like it was taken from a copy tape with slightly more hiss, and mastered a little quieter and brighter. The 2014 hi-res was just okay, and my personal least favorite was the 1997 [C2K 65135], which had some very wonky EQ and some kind of tomfoolery going on with the volume levels.

In short, [SICJ 10012~3] sounds like a fresh transfer and mastering taking advantage of modern technology, without resorting to any of the negative stuff (no loudness wars, no peak limiting or brickwalling, no noise reduction, no unnecessary trickery).

22. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

So it doesn't have that glitch around 2:14 or so (just from memory) into "Sivad" that every version since the 2001 SACD has had (which means all of them - including the 2014 high res - were derived from the same transfer)?

23. rxcory

rxcory jazz band/marching band parent

What glitch? Could you be more specific?

JediJoker likes this.
  24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I would have no idea to what he's referring but I could hear a lot of ground hum that was probably coming from the amplifiers or P.A. Gives it a true 'you are there' vibe.

25. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I just checked and it's at 1:54 into "Sivad" and not 2:14 as I said earlier. The 2001 SACD, the 2014 96/24 high res and the recent-ish Music On Vinyl reissue all lose about a half of a beat at that point, which leads me to believe that they were all derived from the same transfer. It can be hard to detect as it's in the middle of the drums, keyboards and bass all doing a fill, but my original 1971 pressing and 1997(?) CD don't have this stutter there. I've been thinking about getting the new Japanese SACD, but only if I can be assured that it is, in fact, a fresh transfer and that that little glitch doesn't happen. It's fairly minuscule, I know, but it drives me batty every time I hear it.