China Crisis- (the band)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, if you enjoy China Crisis and appreciate their aesthetic you could do worse than try some Blue Nile! :cool:

2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Forum Resident

Love China Crisis! The song I play the most is, perhaps not surprisingly, "WISHFUL THINKING". But there were other memorable songs on their albums.

Blue Nile is quite a different proposition, but I love them as well. High quality music, IMO.

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I see what you mean:

:winkgrin:

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Ha! That cracked me up!

I'm sure China Crisis has something like that in their vaults.

Right???

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I love BLUE NILE as well....a band named THE BIBLE was also a favorite of mine too....great times for music really!

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Also check out Steven Lindsay (ex Big Dish) if you haven't already. His two solo albums from the mid-00s are stunning.

7. Sebastian saglimbenI

I will write that down. ..thanks for the recommendation!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Always makes me laugh when people say a band or artist weren't taken seriously or they were underrated.
    How many million album sales does it take to be taken seriously?
    Because they sold a few million.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Always loved the Walking The Ghost Back Home album, those interested can buy directly from Boo Hewerdine here:

Products

Some other things in a similar vein:

It's Immaterial - Song - It's Immaterial - Song

Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (ex-Talk Talk) - Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis

Jerry Burns - Jerry Burns - Jerry Burns - Jerry Burns

10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes "walking the ghost back home" c.d. was one I found early on....it was an original issue minus a barcode and I bought it based on the cool cover art....great album as are all of the subsequent BIBLE" Albums and the boo hewerdine albums solo!very recommended!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Only problem was, I always got them mixed up with The Church, who are completely different. I could never keep the names straight! :)

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

Not necessarily a bad thing....you really can't go wrong with THE CHURCH......but they do sound quite different.i love THE BIBLE....THE BLUE NILE and CHINA CRISIS.....so under rated in my opinion....but then most things great are.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I missed this, cheers for posting as The China's dont do a lot of promo.

14. Almost Simon

You need to get (although its difficult,) Autumn in the neighbourhood album. Superb.

15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

In the UK, at least, China Crisis were derided in many parts as Wimp Pop, and even when Flaunt The Imperfection came out, there was a sense of "how did they get Steely Dan's producer to work with them?!".

Everyone back then was so caught up in having hits that sometimes the beauty and timelessness of their work got overlooked. Time has proven that China Crisis' music has that quality. I bought a lot of their records but even I probably didn't afford them enough credit at the time for what they were doing. There just seemed to be so many great artists making great music on a weekly basis. You really took so much for granted.

EG.

ganma, patient_ot and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes I have been looking for that....also the new gary daly.how are the "SCRAPEBOOK" releases?

17. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

my favorite pic:
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Anyone know if they plan to release deluxe editions of the later albums?

19. Almost Simon

I saw CC play last night in the basement in Pizza Express in Holborn, London. Superb show.

I was curious about the setup of these Pizza Express events, me and my friend arrived for food before the show and we were about to get a table upstairs before telling the waiter we were going to be going down to see the show later. He told us to go down, as we had a ticket to the show we had a table waiting. Totally unlike any show id experienced, sat down ordering/eating food and staying in the same seats for the show.

Lots of banter from Gary taking the p*ss out of the event, the smell of pizza whilst he was singing. Gary's onstage chat is as much a part of a CC show as the music. The show was split into 2, an hour where they played quite a few B-sides. 20 minute break then back to play the hits. Lots of love from Gary on the bands time with Walter Becker. This was my 3rd time seeing the band live over the past 4 years and certainly was the best. One of the best acts I have seen live in recent years, i truly cannot recommend them live enough. If anyone has the smallest interest in their catalogue i urge you to go and see them live. Whereas some acts you are happy just to hear them perform the music, with CC its a bit like a stand up comedy too. Lots of Northern sarcasm, haven't laughed out loud at a concert at the banter as much as i did last night.

10 out of 10 from me.

Just wish i had the setlist, hopefully someone will put it up on setlist.com over the next few days

20. ArenaCorner

ArenaCorner New Member

Any love for this vastly underrated band? Cannot get enough of their stuff as of late!

buzzinfly, keiron99 and Danyboone67 like this.
  21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Love this album.

22. Owentdc

Owentdc Well-Known Member

Listened to this yesterday....

23. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than listening to “King in a Catholic Style”!

24. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Great band, no shortage of love here.

Difficult Shapes, Working With Fire & Steel, Flaunt The Imperfection and What Price Paradise all essential.

25. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

there is a fairly recent thread dedicated to the band

China Crisis