China Crisis- (the band)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ganma

ganma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up Flaunt The Imperfection and am enjoying it — very nice laid back sophisticated mid '80s pop.
    Any fans?

4_everyman, somnar, ThomasL and 14 others like this.
  2. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Yes! Count me in! The early albums is a bit more eletronic. FTI is in my opinion their best with What price paradise as second. I found their last studio effort incredibly cheap on Ebay and it (Warped by success) was better than expected.

Diablo Griffin and deany76 like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City!

Great music:cheers:

4. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Working With Fire and Steel stays in rotation in my house. Their first three albums are stellar!

5. serj

serj Forum Resident

Jarleboy and RevUp64 like this.
  6. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Very happy memories and some great tunes. "Difficult Shapes", "Working With Fire & Steel" and "Flaunt The Imperfection" are all stellar IMO and I picked up a four track CD of "Black Man Ray" at one of their gigs that I play often.

7. ganma

ganma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm still enjoying the album. Black Man Ray is a great tune.

Funny how in this video they appear to be playing acoustic instruments when the whole tune is electronic with some electric guitar.

8. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Love these guys--excellent 80's pop at its best. Good to see 'em get some recognition here.

9. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

I'm a fan. My favorite is What Price Paradise, probably because it's the first one of theirs I heard, but I enjoy all their albums.

dreambear likes this.
  10. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

A favourite of mine, actually when I was buying new speakers, this was one of the LPs that was demo'ed! Walter Becker had a big hand in their sound on this album.

JG

seg763 and drasil like this.
  11. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

One of my favourite pop albums of the 80s! I just discovered recently that it was produced by Walter Becker.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

My first was Flaunt the imperfection ( I had probably heard "Wishful thinking" before). It took some time to get into, because the production was very un-80´s, which means that it has stood the time test very well. I also remembering listening to Radio Luxemburg and first heard their new 1986 single "Arizona sky". Liked it and bought the album. Still gives all their studio albums a spin every year at least.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

a highly underrated band , I actually prefer their later albums , there is also a great acoustic live album which hasn´t been mentioned yet

[​IMG]

14. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Saw them live on this tour. Who did the remastering? To my shame worked on a rather shoddy DVD version of Acoustically Yours when we were being asked to take it off VHS!
    Think we got the Beta SP master in the end but it was still not stellar visually. We took the time to resync the audio from the CD though!

15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Forum Resident

Absolutely love China Crisis - Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms is my favorite.

eelkiller and ippudo like this.
  16. gibby299

gibby299 Forum Resident

they played in Hamilton too, good "unplugged" show

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

What Price Paradise has some damn fine pop tunes...I still spin it on occasion.

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I lived in Liverpool at the time so discovered African & White on the Inevitable label thanks to a local radio station. Still have the 7" and 12" versions somewhere. No idea why they didn't catch on as much as some other Liverpool bands from then.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller Not one of the first 100 members

Some of the first CDs I bought were China Crisis (Difficult Rhythms and Working with Fire...). I had never heard of them but needed to try something out on the new player. One of the best decisions I made, never tired of their music.

20. serj

serj Forum Resident

Patrick Cleasby, i checked the booklet, but there are no info who mastered the reissue of "Diary Of A Hollow Horse". Only: "Demo tapes restoration by James Walsh"... But no info on the main album mastering. Anyway, the sound is very good for those ears. Not loud, compressed, but very easy & natural.

Bob J likes this.
  21. davers

davers Forum Resident

"You Did Cut Me" hooked me in 1985 and I've been a fan ever since.

4_everyman likes this.
  22. captone

captone Forum Resident

Yes, definitely underrated. I don't know all of their material but songs like Tragedy and Mystery, Working With Fire & Steel, Wishful Thinking & King In A Catholic Style (Wake Up) + a few others are new wave/pop masterpieces. Great bass player in the band too!

23. FTI is a true classic, although I admit I bought the album purely for the Walter Becker production...Steely Dan tart that I am. I'm playing the album right now and it remains as great as ever. Strangely, though, I never looked beyond this record, but it's never too late and new old album discoveries are always the best, I find.

Wildgift likes this.
  24. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Yes I think Gaz was an integral part of the whole deal - particularly from FTI onwards.

25. pmppk

pmppk New Member

I first heard "Wishful thinking" back in 1984. Since then China Crisis have been my most boloved band.
    So far only one album (Diary of a hallow horse) has been remastered. But IMO most of their albums already sound really great on original CD.