Black Crowes Reunite, Plot 2020 ‘Shake Your Money Maker’ Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

The perils of doing an "Anniversary/Reunion" tour with only 2 original members with the rest still alive

2. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Really has nothing to do with it. They were only ever this kind of draw on their own for a sec. Don’t they can really count on the same nostalgia trip as Alanis Morrisette.

D.B., TaumpyTears and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Nomadicarchivist

Saying NO to the Black Crowes featuring just 2 of the original members has a lot to do with folks saying no to a farce.

However, good point that they werent that big of a draw but for a sec.

I only remember them playing bigger venues when they had Page in tow.

4. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

If the tour were to be cancelled do these guys get paid ? As embarrassing as it would be at least getting paid would soften the blow.

Erik B., Matthew Tate and oneslip17 like this.
  5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Only reason it gets cancelled is if the brothers blow up and I bet there is a clau$e in the deal that makes it worth it to them to play nice.

Ticket sales aren't strong, but enough to keep it going. Live Nation can paper the bad selling shows with free tickets the week of and probably make money on concessions.

6. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

That’s what I figured, I travel which is why I haven’t bought a ticket yet but I can definitely see myself going if I get a cheap ticket a week before. And I’ll definitely be spending money on booze and swag when there.

7. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I saw them headline Madison Square Garden on New Years Eve. When they reunited the first time they were playing multiple nights in larger cities.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Nomadicarchivist

Didnt last long. They never sold as well as folks think..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, when they played 5 nights in Hollywood in 2005, after seeing the first show, I bought tickets to the next nights at the box office the night of each show. Well attended, but not even close to selling out a 1,200 capacity theater, even though it was over 5 nights.

10. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Multiple nights suited the Crowes as there were always lots of us prepared to go multiple times.

Doing one night in a bigger venue doesn't necessarily get the same cumulative numbers

11. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

When were the Crowes at their commercial peak as a live act? 1992? Maybe '95? In '92, in my town they played a 4,500 seat venue. In '95, they played an ampitheater, but it was as part of the HORDE tour. They wouldn't have filled it up on their own. What's ridiculous about this tour is that they've booked them into bigger venues than they were EVER able to fill, even at the peak of their popularity. That's ludicrous.

12. Nomadicarchivist

Indeed. Didnt chart that well either..

The Black Crowes

Chart History

Hot 100

Ranked by performance on chart

6 Songs

Hard To Handle
    Peaked at #26 on 8.17.1991

She Talks To Angels
    Peaked at #30 on 5.11.1991

Hard To Handle
    Peaked at #45 on 12.15.1990

Remedy
    Peaked at #48 on 7.11.1992

Jealous Again
    Peaked at #75 on 6.23.1990

Thorn In My Pride
    Peaked at #80 on 9.26.1992

The Black Crowes Chart History
    © 2019 Billboard. All Rights

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. There weren't many rock bands in the 1990s who placed 6 singles on the Hot 100.

14. Nomadicarchivist

Not being sarcastic at all..

They were NOT as big of an act as many think...

They peaked early and faded after the 2nd album

ARK, Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. swandown

How many other rock bands placed 6 singles on the Hot 100 in the '90s?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

Pearl Jam ? Oasis ?

The Gomper and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

It doesn't matter. What he is saying is that these were mainly very modest "hits" which didn't make big waves. That is his only point, there is no need for your follow-up "question".

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. swandown

My point is that if you're a rock band and you place 6 singles on the Hot 100, then that qualifies as being a "big act".

905, The Gomper and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

FYI, the Hot 100 became a different beast in the 1990s - pop-driven due to changing metrics. It's not like the good old days when we rocked out to Casey Kasem. You would be better off looking at the "Mainstream Rock" charts, which were derived from rock radio airplay.

Having said that, I don't argue with your conclusion; you just got there the wrong way. If rock radio plays the Crowes these days, I guarantee it's 80% "Hard to Handle."

20. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

99% in the UK...I think I've heard Remedy once amongst them, & that's on dedicated rock & classic rock stations, they wouldn't get a sniff on other commercial radio

Kinda why l liked them as well, oddly

21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Tickets for the Austin show dropped down to about $25 each over the black friday sale period, but after adding in the fees and taxes that $50 pair of lawn seats gets bumped up to about $85 and my purchase gets bumped down to a pass. I'm likely better off checking Groupon and the resale sites for a blowout deal and skip those ticketmaster fees as much as possible. With this lineup I am open to going on a deal price but I am also totally cool with passing on the show altogether if the price is not right.

webdoggy, budwhite, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Live Nation recently announced the $200 "Seasons Pass" for lawn access of a couple dozen sheds which include a bunch of BC shows.

Crowes played MSG in 2005 with My Morning jacket as support. MMJ played the venue themselves a couple months later for NYE. In 2004 a Wilco/Flaming Lips/Sleater Kinney bill also played MSG for NYE.

budwhite likes this.
  23. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

The official “Crowes” Instagram account had a video of a box of live show board mix DATs arriving at HQ today.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

For comparison's sake, LiveNation's Alanis/Garbage/Liz Phair thing just went on pre-sale, and it's already killing it.
    But that's 3 acts, which work well together, announced all at the same time. They just have the Crowes on their own, playing similarly sized venues. I just don't get LN's reasoning here.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The Crowes are coming here August 30th at Red Rocks. The Doobie Brothers 50th Anniversary tour and the Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett tour will also be here the same day. That can't help their sales.

Matthew Tate and TaumpyTears like this.