Black Crowes Reunite, Plot 2020 ‘Shake Your Money Maker’ Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Nov 11, 2019.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Agreed, Jackie Green is a great player but he was my least favorite Crowes guitarist, and I have seen them all. Isiah Mitchell is a superb player and I am definitely looking forward to hearing him play with the Robinson’s. Check out Earthless , check out Urulu Rock

D.B. likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Welcome to the ignore list

Fullbug and The Gomper like this.
  3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Forum Resident

To be fair, his name is MrGrumpy :p

4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Tolerant Swede.

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

He will play note for note renditions of the studio stuff ... trust me

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Eh, it's better than disparaging an entire fanbase, particularly one that is surprisingly well represented on this very forum.

7. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

They weren't playing jam heavy shows with Jackie Greene in 2013. That tour was a disgrace from the outset, marginally better at the end.

A nadir in Crowes time.

8. bRETT

bRETT Forum Resident

Agree to disagree. I saw the Greene lineup twice, the semi acoustic tour and then toward the end. Very strong both times.

The Gomper likes this.
  9. Python

Python Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I saw the Crowes thrice in '13 - once at a festival early in the tour (June), very pedestrian, greatest-hits set, and then two shows towards the end, one in L.A. in late November and then the final show in San Francisco in mid-December. The L.A. show was actually pretty decent, I think the venue (Wiltern Theater) being good helped a lot; the final show again seemed pretty mailed in, Chris seemed pretty checked out (and if you believe Steve's book, he was), though the venue was a pretty lame one (Bill Graham Civic).

I'm just glad I made it to the L.A. show, that's kind of my nice, last live Crowes memory of about 40-50 shows.

10. rolnstn2

rolnstn2 Active Member

Does Steve’s book pull back the curtain, on Chris’s pseudo hippie shtick and expose it for what it is, insincere and fraudulent?

I for one love the Crowes as a rock n roll band but as a Grateful Dead tribute act, if I want the GD I’ll go to the source.

walrus, MrGrumpy and pocofan like this.
  11. rolnstn2

rolnstn2 Active Member

I just looked at every major market on the tour through the ticket outlets and they’re not doing too bad sales wise.

You throw in a band like Blackberry Smoke (who I know little about as a listener) but know they sell tickets and you could pull a varied crossover audience and fill the holes in the venues.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

What shows with Greene were semi acoustic? I haven't heard those.

13. WarEagleRK

No, they really only jammed out one or two songs a show on that tour. Usually just Wiser Time.

Shows were almost all around the 2 hour range.

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag The West Coast bzfgt

Whoa, Nelly. I'm a Deadhead, do you hate me? I look damn good in a suit too, if I do say so myself. :D

(Keith Jackson, RIP.)

BlackCircle likes this.
  15. kdd21

kdd21 Forum Resident

Keith Jackson. The greatest ever

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

No hatin but I saw the Crowes twice at their "peak" sans Page and found them extremely boring..

Can only imagine how "exciting" they will be as a duo with hired guns..

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  17. WarEagleRK

Well thanks for sharing and not hatin'.

ARK, The Gomper, Manalishi and 4 others like this.
  18. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Were there a few cities where they played several nights and worked more acoustic stuff in? San Fran and NYC are ringing a bell. Only time I totally remember was the tour that followed Croweology with Luther that were split pretty even between acoustic and electric.

They always had some that got extended a few minutes like Black Moon and Soul Singin and then ones like Wiser Time and Thorn In My Pride that got jammed and had accompanying pieces, that could take up half a set.

19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

I was shopping in Trader Joes and they played Hard To Handle. I haven't heard that song in public in years.

20. bRETT

bRETT Forum Resident

Sorry-- It was probably still Luther at that point, which means I saw the Greene lineup only once. I will say that the latter show had one of my favorite covers I ever saw them do, "Lover of the Bayou."

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Noticed that they aren't on the Peachfest lineup.

I assumed they'd be on that.

22. WarEagleRK

Doesn't seem to be any festival dates at all, does it?

23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Considering the size of the venues they’re playing, I can’t see the motivation for festival promoters to book ‘em.

WarEagleRK and walrus like this.
  24. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Surprising, but also not. LiveNation doesn’t make as much money off the Crowes playing festivals instead of LN-owned venues, and the festival radius clauses probably interfere with a lot of the dates. Backs up my belief this is a very short term plan: do these dates, cash out, and go back to not speaking to each other.

25. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I think that the Alanis / Garbage / Liz Phair tour is going to sell Hootie levels instead of this one. Lots of people I know in their 30s and 40s are planning on buying tix for that show, but have no interest in this one.