Best version of REO Speedwagon's "Hi Infidelity"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBeas, Sep 10, 2007.

1. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

To me, 35 8P (i.e., both CSR Japan for Japan with that cat. no. and the early CSR Japan for US discs with that cat. no. as the matrix code near the hub) with pre emphasis actually is brighter although probably has higher Dynamic Range (DR). Certain high frequencies sound "dirty" to me, which to me usually means certain high frequencies were EQ'd up and certain middle-to-high frequencies were EQ'd down. To me, 35 8P is "good enough" with the sparse presentation that many people here seem to like, but does not sound as close to the original LP as the early US DADC CD does. Typically, I like a CD pressing that sounds the closest to the original LP mastering, unless I actually find a CD pressing that sounds "better".

c-eling likes this.
  2. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi Cory (@c-eling). If you compare Track 4 "In Your Letter" on the CSR and the DADC (after volume matching, of course), I think you will "see" what I am talking about immediately.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Fruit Juice Everywhere

I'll check it out Caroline, thanks!
    Last time I did a side by side I preferred the 35 8P. Possible some of these old cd players differ in the way the EQ is handled on these pre-emphasis discs.
    The DADC sounded more 'open' however I had some issues with harshness in the upper's I didn't have with the Japan. -no fatigue.
    So like with ELO/Journey I think with REO, we're going once again with the lesser of the evils :laugh:

princesskiki likes this.
  4. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Yes, there is no digital pressing of this album that I think is perfect, but to me, the early US DADC gets me closest to the original LP.

If you want "tamed" highs but done better, the 3 tracks from Hi Infidelity on this compilation CD from 1988 would be my recommendation: (photo from Discogs, but it is identical to my copy)
    [​IMG]

For a 1988 comp CD, it sounds more like the early days of digital. This was mastered by Steve Hall, who I think is one of Steve Hoffman's favorite engineers. Unless the mastering is different, I would assume that this US DADC CD will sound the same:
    [​IMG]

If you are in Europe, this one should also sound the same:
    [​IMG]

PTgraphics and c-eling like this.
  5. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

I have this copy on vinyl as well (my deadwax is (Side A): PAL 36844-1 AA KENDUN-D & (Side B): KENDUN PBL-36844-1H) with the "For Promotion Only" gold stamp on the back cover. It is not considered a real promo since it does not have a "white label" like some of the other CBS promotional vinyl at the time (for example, I have the Epic "London Calling" promo vinyl that has the "white label" with "Demonstration Not For Sale" printed on the labels, and both albums were from 1980). However, the vinyl is sure to be an early pressing, because radio stations and record stores were bound to get copies that were stamped "promotional" first before they even went on sale to the general public.

The reason I bring this up is that I also have the CBS Mastersound Half Speed Mastered version of "Hi Infidelity" as well (HE 46844), and it occurs to me that I have never compared the two. So as soon as I get around to it I will try and listen to both, and see if the Mastersound version is as good as the regular version.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Fruit Juice Everywhere

Yes, I think I remember the old cassette I had sounding pretty descent :winkgrin:
    Weird, I still haven't run into the old LP around here.

princesskiki likes this.
  7. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

So how exactly does one recognize an early DADC disc of this album? Do they always have "Digital Audio Disc Corp" impressed in the clear center ring? What do you look for if eBay photos aren't detailed enough to let you see that?

8. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Instant Karma and c-eling like this.
  9. StingRay5

Thanks! Interesting. So it's the same numbers as on my disc, except the DI8P 50004 doesn't have a leading zero (050004) and the disc has thick black rings at the inner and outer edges.

10. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Yours is from the late 80's to early 90's. The linked pressing would be from 1985 to 1987.

11. bru87tr

bru87tr Forum Resident

I avoid the CMU's too. :)

I wouldn't call the recording bright, but its definitely on the thin side. Not a warm sounding recording and it should be from its time.

The original vinyl is better than the re-release I have.

PTgraphics, princesskiki and c-eling like this.
  12. StingRay5

I found a very inexpensive early DADC disc of Hi Infidelity on eBay and bought it. It looks exactly like the one that @princesskiki linked to in comment #133 (REO Speedwagon – Hi Infidelity (DADC, CD) ) and has "Made in USA Digital Audio Disc Corp." molded into the hub. The matrix code is the same as the Discogs entry: DI8P 50004 11A10.

As it turns out, it's the same mastering as my other disc (comment #119). They differ only in the amount of silence at the start and end of each track. I manually trimmed the silence at the start of "Keep On Loving You" to sync them; they remained perfectly in sync to the end, and the "invert and mix" trick produced dead silence. So maybe all the early "Now made in USA" DI8P (0)50004 discs use the same mastering?

Per a comment in a Steely Dan CD thread, it seems that a DIDX number with a leading zero indicates a 1988 or later re-pressing. If that applies to DI8P as well, then we can assume that my new disc (DI8P 50004) is older than the first one I bought (DI8P 050004).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021