Best Price On Rega Planar 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JoMarta, Sep 26, 2020.

1. JoMarta

JoMarta New Member Thread Starter

Hi forum. Longtime lurker here.

I'm pretty set to jump into a new Planar 6 rig and wanted to ask around for the best deal. $1595 seems to be the standard. Anyone know of any Black Friday deals around the corner or anyone that retails for less than $1600?

Thank you!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Doubtful that's going to happen. Rega restricts discounting. There is pretty much two situations where discounting is allowed. If Rega has announced a replacement model, they are allowed to sell them to at close-out pricing. The other is an open box. This might be a returned item, or it could be one that the retailer has opened to photograph for marketing purposes. Rega isn't the only brand that does this. Most higher end audio gear is sold by authorized dealers. Part of being authorized is an agreement that you won't discount their products. If you want a Planar 6, expect to pay $1600. That's just how it works.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Autodidact Debater

Just buy used for 1000$ or so.

zboski likes this.
  4. JoMarta

JoMarta New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I am eyeing the open box on hifi heaven for $1275. They don’t say anything on their site about what an “open box” entails so I’m waiting to hear back. Wondering how much it’s been used and what kind of testing it goes through before going up for sale.

If I’m not confident in the response I’ll just pull the trigger on a MSRP model.

Thanks!

5. james

james Forum Resident

I had a great experience with them.

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Audiophile wannabe

I have inquired about open box items before, and they are often willing to give you 10% above the open box price for a new one.

james likes this.
  7. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

There is a forumite here, Goldprint Audio who is an authorized dealer, and very helpful here, you might want to send him a note, especially if you’re going to buy a cartridge too, often can get package deals, plus good setups. Might be other folks here as well.

james likes this.
  8. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

dont forget that the price you're quoting is without a cartridge. P6 + Exact MM is about $2k and the MC cart is a few bucks more

9. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Forum Resident

Rega in the US does not seem to discount but sometimes they do in Canada. Last year, I got the P6 with the Exact cartridge for $1999(Canadian) The regular price in Canada is $2499. Since the Canadian dollar is only worth about $.75US, I got my P6/Exact for $1500US. It was too good a deal to pass up. I'm not sure if there are any promotions going on right now.

Cyclone Ranger and hitmanhart408 like this.
  10. Toneboner

Toneboner Active Member

New to the forum. I just ordered a new Planar 6 with Ania cartridge for a very small discount, 5%. I think if you're ready to make a purchase, many of the dealers will give a small discount as such.