Best place to have Hi quality CDs made?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomodder, Jul 28, 2020.

1. audiomodder

audiomodder Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Tryin to find the best hi quality pressing place for making 100 copies of my album on a 6 panel digipak.

I previously had a bad experience and am looking for a new, reliable place

Also, anyone have experience with seamless CD audio converted to DDP? Apparently the DDP format that pressing places use doesnt play nice with seamleas audio :((

Any help greatly appreciated! Been working on this for years and I feel so stuck

2. panther_dream

panther_dream Forum Resident

Are you using a mastering engineer that can make a proper master for replication? Gapless playback shouldn't be a problem.

100 (pressed) copies with digipaks would cost a lot per unit, just FYI.

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  3. audiomodder

I paid a hefty sum for one of the best mastering engineers in the USA. He had a hard tine with the gapless audio :(

I have the WAV 16 abd WAV 24 files mastered and ready. But the audio track start point shifts over 1second when converted to DDP. it ruined a whole batch I had made :/ they burn fine on a home CD burner tho...

not worried about cost per unit. Im gonna sell probably 10 of them anyway x_x

angelo73 likes this.
  4. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

Not sure under the current pandemic which facilities in the global network are operational at full scale at this point, especially overseas. Mobineko are Taiwan-based, but they do high-quality short runs (under 5OO pcs.) Top grade materials, proprietary manufacture. Thing is, again, supply chains at this point can be "iffy". And overseas shipping can be excruciatingly slow now.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. audiomodder

yeah, looking for USA plants. I heard a number of them are still open...

bumpity bump. still hoping to find someone who pressed a CD with seamless audio but selectable tracks.

6. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

7. IanL

IanL Forum Resident

Discmakers.com

8. audiomodder

Discmakers is super assembly line kinda stuff. Got any experience to share with using them?

bump for someone whos done track separated seamless audio...there must be someone...

9. IanL

IanL Forum Resident

My experience is from the perspective of a graphic designer. One of my clients is a composer and we used discmakers for the CD issue of his last album. He is pretty particular about quality (he had Kevin Gray master his last album, the LP was plated and pressed by RTI, the jacket was printed by Stoughton, same configuration as MMJ uses) and he told me he was happy with how the CD came out as well. In fact, I’m working on another one right now that will be handled by discmakers too. I am only qualified to opine personally on their ability to print the digipack packaging and CD design as submitted, and they did a very nice job. Their customer service is very responsive and helpful as well.

The Gomper likes this.
  10. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

In my listening experience, mp3s sound way better than WAV files. Try to convert them maybe?

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Really???

12. Really?

punkmusick likes this.
  13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You did not send them the 24 bit files, did you? CDs are 16 bit. If you sent them 24 bit files, they would have converted them to 16 bit, and as a result there would have been sector boundary violations.

And the suggestion to send mp3s was surely a joke.

Thorny Bob and Tim 2 like this.
  14. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Sorry, maybe I meant AAC.

15. Really?
    AAC covers its tracks better than MP3 (ie sounds better IMO), but it's still lossy.

16. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I haven't used WAV files in a decade. Maybe technology has evolved. I'll shut up now.

17. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

WAV is on par with FLAC when listening, ie lossless. Any other non-lossless format like MP3 or AAC sound worse.

andrewskyDE, Tullman and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  18. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I'm a Mac user and just got in the habit of using whatever the default is. When downloading from iTunes, would it make a difference what format you choose?

19. Not to the point of AAC being better sounding than WAV it hasn't.

20. iTunes store sells AAC files @ 256kbps.
    Push that up to 320kbps and it starts to get difficult to distinguish AAC from WAV.
    I'm 58 years old, with age related hearing loss, compounded with damage caused by life in general and I can distinguish between AAC @ 256kbps and AAC @ 320kbps.
    What's you're excuse?

21. The Gomper

The Gomper In Another Land

I've had good experience with Discmakers. They'll cut you a deal right now, too...

22. audiomodder

this is really helpful, thank you!!

nah, I sent 16 bit WAV. everything is shifted in the DDP conversion...

still looking for feedback from someone thats done seamless CD audio (with selectable tracks)...

23. c-eling

c-eling I never dreamed another way.

Scott over at Rubellan Remasters has been using The ADS Group. Maybe you can PM him for more info. They do jewels and digi's. Hornsby's latest was done by them as well
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  24. The Gomper

The Gomper In Another Land

[​IMG]

fretter and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I have several EDM music CD's that play gapless and can be individually selected. All files are in .aiff PCM and sound amazing. Big fat bass frequencies at -4db peak, no problem on my '72 Sansui amp. No artifacts, just perfect sound at 16bit/44k.

Keep it simple and industry standard which is PCM...straight with no wrap around lossy or frothy digital packing and unpacking decoding. Forget all the other encodings. Straight PCM has been working perfectly since the late '80's.

Stop the format madness. There's no difference in sound PERIOD! Get your work done and get on with it and stick with industry standards. GEEZ! It doesn't have to be so damn complicated.