Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

No problem - realize that the stock mat on the G is just like the one on my MKii, and the VTA adjustments are similar...... so expect the same result on the MKii, give or take a little of course.

2. Gary7704

Gary7704 My dog Sam eats purple flowers...

I will work on it tomorrow. I purchased a Riverstone Audio scale to check tracking force. The turntable was off a bit and I was able to dial in the exact force after I calibrated it. I purchased the 1200MK2 from ebay about 6 years ago. I believe it is from the mid to late 70s. Came with the original box. I was lucky that it was in perfect working shape. I did the heat shrink tonearm mod. I am thinking of changing out the RCA's and ground wire but I want to have some time to enjoy it for awhile (just moved and it was packed away for about 2 years). Again, thanks for the info.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict ___The Enforcer___

If you post your serial number, I'll tell you when your MKii was made! :)

4. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Well-Known Member

On my 1200, I have a litz rewired tonearm, KAB dampener, isonoe feet, upgraded platter and psu. The KAB dampener made a noticeable difference in tracking stability, particularly warped records, smoothed the roughness in sound, and importantly takes some of the impact away from the needle and cantilever each time you lower the tonearm, which IMO helps prolong the life of the cantilever.
    In terms of cartridge choice, my pick is the AT440MLB (discontinued but some are still around). I'm guessing you're a metal fan. The AT33PTGii works very well with great resolution and depth, but I found it didn't have the liveliness/attack I enjoyed with the 440, which really brings out the bite in metal records. The AT33PTGii is more poised and warmer.

dbsea likes this.
  5. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Appreciate your input! The dampener is next on the list for upgrades. I'll keep an eye out for an AT440! Also looking at the OC9 but that might be out of my price range.

6. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Forum Resident

I am very happy with this cart.AT33PTG/II around 40 hours break in period passed.
    Very little surface noise even on my most worn records,definetely a step up from my Benz micro Gold.
    I'm running it through my Black Cube at 56db gain/47kOhm with the bass jumpers on,but i'm still trying different VTA's and VTF.My arm is slightly tail up,(almost parallel with 180g lp's)and 1.95vtf.

This cart works perfect with High mass tonearms!

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have a question regarding this cart, does anyone have a close up picture of the stylus ?
    It seems there is a very fair amount of glue on mine when comparing to other carts I have.

No impact on sound but I'm interested whether this is just mine or whether it is common.

8. ruben lopez

First thing i noticed too!
    If you look close with a microscope looks like a lot of dirt.only it's not.

Tartifless likes this.
  9. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I've seen pictures on the web also, it seems normal then ...

I was afraid I ruined mine.

10. ruben lopez

yes, me too. i have good pictures of mine but i'm not able to upload...

Tartifless likes this.