Best album by The Cramps?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I found it, eventually, but not on the originally cited page. (I posted what I found above.) Is there some magic on henryrollins.com that does not conjure for me? KCRW Berlin removes its free-to-stream archived shows after a couple weeks, which is consistent with the (American?) rules sites like WFMU.org operate under.

But they didn't do that. They replaced "Drug Train" with "TV Set" in the end. (Unless you meant something else, and I'm being super dense and am 0 for 2 at this point.)

To my ears, the only two songs which are identical to the released versions are "Garbageman" and "Drug Train". "Drug Train" makes sense if they struck it from the album lineup before they went in to do a different mix. And "Garbageman" was a single in several countries, but I can't find exact release dates for the single. I found one discography which said that "Garbageman" and "Drug Train" were two sides of a 7-inch in some territories. So if that was a done deal and both songs were already in the wild, maybe they opted to leave them alone.

Anyway, how awesome to have a reason to listen to STLTU again.

2. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i meant would not have been a good move to keep that first tracklisting with Drug Train .
    What a UFO The Cramps were when they appeared in 76 until 83 , unique sound, look , live show in spite of all the influences .

24voltsdc and TonyCzar like this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yes. It was an awesome single. But maybe not the world's strongest album-opener. (I think I finally got to hear them play it live in 1990 or thereabouts, though. Awesome sauce.)

4. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Off The Bone was about current when I picked it up. Was the 3D sleeve a constant feature? THink I may have even got a pair of glasses with it.
    Think i missed a comic insert with Smell Of Female.
    & only got to see them with Nick's cousin or something on guitar in May '84.
    Kid had returned to the Gun Club by that point.

I think I'd probably go for Songs first but Jungle is great.
    I had Date With Elvis when it came out but didn't really stay current with them after that.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think it got further than the test pressing stage, at least at first.

This appears to have original track listing having TV Set,

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

and this states by some that some of the tracks are the white label text pressing mixes.

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

I think some early copies and some imports are the original mixes.

Dollyrocker likes this.
  6. Dollyrocker

Dollyrocker Well-Known Member

I think 'Drug Train' is a pretty good opener, but I hard agree that 'TV Set' being on the album improves it, in any shape or form.

7. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I just saw in the Cramps Wikipedia entry that the guy who played guitar on the 1984 European tour was indeed Nick Knox's cousin but what was new to me was that he was guitarist for the Pagans who were pretty great. Cleveland punk band who have been compiled on Crypt, not sure if that's still available very worth hearing though. A lot more ramalama than the Cramps though.

dlemaudit likes this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Forum Resident

My most played is Smell of Female.

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yep , i was not aware of the Pagans at the the time he , briefly , joined . Great Cleveland punk band i later discovered . Plus he looked very cool .

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Psychedelic Jungle may not be the best, hard to say, but that’s the one I first got and that’s my go to.

11. Reverb

Reverb Well-Known Member

Thanks to Dollyrocker for posting the link to the early mix of Songs the Lord Taught Us. I‘ll be listening to that later today!! It wasn’t posted as an option, but for my money (any amount of money, really....) the best Cramps release is the compilation of 1979 demos recorded in Ohio. I believe these were also recorded by Alex Chilton. There are lots of demos out there, but the very early ones sound clunky to me. But man these 1979 recordings are tight and hot. Good lord. Worth noting that there is an early song titled Twist & Shout that used the instrumental backing of Drug Train, and buries it handily.

The slightly earlier versions of Teenage Werewolf, Under the Wires, All Tore Up, etc... the band sounds absolutely possessed. I wish there was more I could say to describe how exciting these demos are, but you’ve just got to hear them. They aren’t difficult to find, but I think technically they are only available as bootlegs from the perspective of the record industry. Ive heard several times it was the band that leaked them, so that makes them official in my book.

Bananas&blow and Dollyrocker like this.
  12. Reverb

Reverb Well-Known Member

13. Harry Rag

Harry Rag Forum Resident

They are ALL good, Like picking out who is your favorite monster.

14. Reverb

Reverb Well-Known Member

I second what Harry Rag says. From the Human Fly 45 strait to Ivy’s instrumental of Peter Gunn, the Cramps are untouchable.

Bananas&blow and 24voltsdc like this.
  15. Dollyrocker

Dollyrocker Well-Known Member

Lovely stuff! Great to hear all these versions - The Cramps are possibly the most under-rated band of the last 50 years I think - they are the very essence of Rock n' Roll and wore their influences on their sleeve, but at the same time they were utterly unique and timeless. There should be a statue of Lux & Ivy as big as the Statue of Liberty in NYC or Napa State...

Greenalishi and dlemaudit like this.
  16. Reverb

Reverb Well-Known Member

Yes! I recently read Billy Poore’s “Rockabilly : a 40 Year Journey” and at one point he mentions the Cramps as “almost sounding halfway decent...” and I thought...what does it take to impress this guy? If you can write about appreciating a live Gene Vincent performance (often brilliant in the mid-fifties, but also often pretty raw) how can you not hear the un-hinged rock and roll beauty of the Cramps?
    As an aside, Im not casting stones at Billy Poore’s book. It was an excellent, pleasantly opinionated read.

Dollyrocker likes this.
  17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Wow nobody mentioned (that I could see) RockinnreelininAucklandNewZealandXXX.

That's a totally great album - I think better than A Date With Elvis.
    I maybe even prefer it to "Stay Sick!"
    Worth it for the version of Heartbreak Hotel alone, and the version of People Ain't No Good blows away the studio version.
    Incredible sound on the drums too, massive echo.

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

YES!

I especially love the version of The Mad Daddy on here, is fantastic, so much better than the Songs The Lord Taught Us album version.
    The whole album - All Tore Up, or Ohio Demos - is fantastic.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. Reverb

Reverb Well-Known Member

RockinnreelininAucklandNewZealandXXX

Agreed. Another savagely amazing recording. I was happily buried under an avalanche of live Cramps records a few months ago and this one was impressive. I believe Ivy’s guitar playing is pretty off-the-rails during the second half?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  20. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Indeed!!

21. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I chose Off the Bone (Bad Music for Bad People is also great) , but I love the first 4 choices. I like all of their albums. Big Beat is underrated and Fiends is the weakest, but still has a handful of good tunes.

I was just browsing the internet to see if I could find a vinyl copy of Psychedelic Jungle. Good news for all you Cramps fiends! It looks like Drastic Plastic is putting out a reissue of Psychedelic Jungle and Songs the Lord Taught Us in a few days! You can order now on their website!

Bananas&blow and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

1. Songs the Lord Taught Us
    2. Psychedelic Jungle
    3. ...Off the Bone

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone saw the big star documentary but the mention of the cramps kind of nails it to me he says the cramps were rock ‘n’ roll in Memphis in the 70s. Just like the 50s Memphis but contemporary in the 70s not a tribute act not a rockabilly revival but a genuine article I always felt that way about them too. So a rockabilly person would be more traditional someone who want you to use a very specific guitar dress a certain way sing only about the things that people saying about before the cramps were all their own but they had all the spirit of the 50s Memphis rock ‘n’ roll.

Bananas&blow and palisantrancho like this.
  24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Kinda sad to see Stay Sick not getting much love. Really dug that one and saw a lot of shows from that tour.

25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

I chose it. Perfect record. Great songwriting and playing. Perfect record

Bananas&blow and Guitarded like this.