Best album by The Cramps?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Don't listen to the Cramps but had to tell about this: I saw Queens of the Stone Age back in 2014 on Halloween at the Forum. There was two opening acts. Before Queens started their set they turned off the lights and played the entire Napa State show on the huge screens at the Forum. Not my kind of music but it was real cool.

dlemaudit likes this.
  2. davetracey

davetracey Well-Known Member

I first saw The Cramps in 1981, around the time of Psychedelic Jungle, and I have loved them ever since. I still listen to their albums, and my favourites are A Date With Elvis and Stay Sick!. Everything about these two albums is spot on, the songs, the rock n' roll and its references, the lyrics, the look and the sound. Live they were incendiary-at all times, but particularly so around this time. The Date With Elvis album signalled a heavier and sexier rock approach. They dropped the idea of having two guitarists, and Ivy played bass on the album. She also switched to playing a gorgeous Gretsch 6120 instead of the somewhat anonymous looking solid body guitar she had played up to this point. Live, they were initially joined by Fir on bass, and she was replaced by the beautiful, and superbly named Candy Del Mar for Stay Sick! and the subsequent tour. They were poised to join the big time...but it mysterioulsy never happened.

The only album I am not so keen on is " Look Mom, No Head!" But it has a great title (obviously) and cover, with Ivy enjoying a nip in the hall of mirrors.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I love the credits for the song “People Ain’t No Good” which has the McMartin Pre-School Children's Choir as backing vocals. The McMartin pre school scandal was a 1984 Los Angles case of school instructors accused of child abuse including satanic rituals and sexual molestation. Charges were dropped when no solid evidence was ever produced, and it was shown that the kids were improperly “coached” into agreeing with fabricated scenarios. It left the teachers devastated career wise and the school bankrupt.

There never was a school choir or chorus. The Cramps just used the name as one of their “in-jokes”. But it makes sense that the kids might feel that after this ordeal that “people ain’t no good”.

Date with Elvis is a terrific album.

TonyCzar and davetracey like this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Bad Music for Bad People...

On Drastic Plastic yellow vinyl!

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Good start:

Songs The Lord Taught Us.

Smell Of Female.

StormSignal likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think all of bad music for bad people is on off the bone!

I’m not sure off the bone should count as it is a compilation but as it’s there I’ve voted for it. I fail to see how songs the lord taught us or psychedelic jungle are “miles” better than this. All have their redeeming features, even a date with Elvis (especially the CD with bonus tracks on).

7. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

A Date With Elvis is my favorite. That's when I discovered The Cramps. Best band in the world as far as I'm concerned. And man it was always fun watching Poison Ivy play that guitar!:love::love::love::love::love:

scobb likes this.
  8. CRJ

CRJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]

9. davetracey

davetracey Well-Known Member

Great photo of Ivy playing the Gretsch.

Also, thanks quicksrt for the info on the school choir/chorus supposedly used on People Ain't No Good. I have read as much as I can find on The Cramps-but I never knew this.

quicksrt and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Stay Sick! Candy Del Mar and Nick Knox! Love the album, loved the tour.

Greenalishi and davetracey like this.
  11. Mjchaelj

Mjchaelj New Member

Psychedelic Jungle for me, just love the slow tempo, hauntingly raw songs on this album. The snare sound is incredible. I think it’s the most surf rock they sounded.

STLTU comes in 2nd. The albums from Date with Elvis and beyond are great but I still prefer their raw late 70s-early 80s sound. They stopped being punk/horror and become more classic rockabilly with a sexual twist.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The horror/ creature flick influence stayed around throughout. But I can see the punk element faded a bit as time moved on.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I loved everything they released. Some records better than others but, I could always find something to love.

djoseph56 likes this.
  14. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Stay Sick

" I'm a chicken-fried fire-eatin' son of a gun, concieved by my devil daddy on a chicken run,like a fireball flyin' down thunder road, daddy made mama but she shoulda said no, I'm the raw Hyde monster they named number 1 I'm the creature from the black leather lagoon, I'm a genuine juvenille delinquent from the moon, I'm like a hundred billion hydrogen bombs, mama wanted a goat, but I got mom's, I'm the creature from the black leather lagoon"

I rest my case

Guy E, Greenalishi, 24voltsdc and 2 others like this.
  15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Yo Mama Bee-otch!

16. Dollyrocker

Dollyrocker Well-Known Member

Interesting that no one has mentioned the original mix of 'Songs the Lord...' which is absolutely bone-crunchingly awesome and has a different track-listing. AFAIK the record label felt it was too rough and at the last minute recalled it and smoothed it out. That is the commercially available release, which is a great record - but the original is about 200% better! Henry Rollins played the whole thing on his Berlin radio show over xmas (he has a rare pressing) and it is a revelation.

17. Dollyrocker

TonyCzar, 24voltsdc, quicksrt and 2 others like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

19. Shoe

Shoe Forum Resident

A date with Elvis

quicksrt and Greenalishi like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Show #24: 2019

Dollyrocker likes this.
  21. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

I’ve never heard of this. Thanks!

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wonder how many copies are out there of this original mix?

23. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

TonyCzar likes this.
  24. Dollyrocker

Don't know that, but since it only got to the test pressing stage, it could be a few hundred or just a handful, probably the latter in this case I suspect.

Here is a direct link to the actual show, rather than the website.
    Henry Rollins | Official Website

25. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

thanks for this , that was very interesting to hear . Actually some of the songs do sound fiercer , with the fuzz even more upfront and even more chaotic if that is possible .
    On the other hand , i do prefer the released versions for others . And replacing the masterpiece that is " TV Set " by "Drug Train" was not a good move .

Dollyrocker likes this.