Best album by The Cramps?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Start with Bad Music for bad people. If you like that, get STLTU and Psych Jungle.

Dudley Morris and McLover like this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I voted Bad Music.

Tied for Second STLTU and Jungle.

Gravest Hits was the first album I bought based only on the cover. I wasn't disappointed. I think that was 1979 or 1980.

Around 2000 I talked my band into working up "New Kind of Kick" for a series of open mic nights at a sports bar where they'd let any band play for up to about an hour as long as people didn't hate them. Amazingly, it went over really, really well. Definitely a blast to perform.

Echoes Myron and Stone Turntable like this.
  3. Sear

Sear Forum Resident

Off the bone compilation by far. The only one you need

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Date with Elvis is really strong, love the production.

Interesting or sad the Lux never to my knowledge made appearances after the end of the Cramps. Not even a guest appearance at a concert or on a song. I think she became a very accomplished guitarist for playing rockabilly / surf and some blues in there. Kind of a bummer huh.

I wonder what she is up to now?

5. catteste

catteste Mental Radio Transmission

[​IMG]
    First Cramps record I bought in 1979. I guess it's not really an album ... but definitely my favourite Cramps record ... each of the 5 songs is a Cramps Classic.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It’s Poison Ivy who was the female guitarist in the Cramps, not Lux, sorry about my confusion there fir a few minutes.

7. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yes , was about to correct that .
    i guess the grief , they were such a tight unit . I was in LA early April , walked around the place where their first apartment was when they moved from NYC to East Hollywood, went to the nearby Tiki Ti bar which used to be their local joint and even strolled around beautiful Forest Lawn Cemetery neighbourhood in Glendale where they were living in the end , did not see Ivy unfortunately

8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Bad Music , albeit their best selling record/ best of , should not be included . It was assembled by Illegal records with no involvement from the band , they despised it including the cover and for sure did not get any royalties out of it . And at same time the label was blocking the band from recording new materials .

APH likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It does not make any sense that she just dropped out of sight completely. But maybe it was easier just to retire, as even the band must have struggled to some degree financially. Laying low, getting some small royalty checks here and there plus social security (if career psycho-punk rockers are eligible), is not bad really.

10. CRJ

CRJ Forum Resident

I got Psychedelic Jungle, as well as the first album, when they were first released. I would of been around 15 when the 2nd album was released as well. I can never really split the two. I like them both as much as each other.

My fave Cramps has to be the first two singles. I didn't hear them until the first album though, via Gravest Hits, which is when I first became aware of the group. I was in a record shop, possibly the original Rough Trade, and heard TV Set. I had the get the first album and Gravest Hits straight away.

I'll just leave this Youtube video here. In the comments on the Youtube page is R.E. "Buck" Houchins from Green Fuz.

APH likes this.
  11. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

First two studio albums - Songs The Lord Taught Us & Psychedelic Jungle - plus the live Smell Of Female. For a great compilation then Off The Bone is best. (The third and fourth studio records are pretty decent, but after that they became parodies of themselves.)

StormSignal and APH like this.
  12. gomen ne

gomen ne -

smell of female

rararabbits likes this.
  13. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Songs The Lord Taught Us
    Bad Music For Bad People
    Gravest Hits
    A Date With Elvis

Personally, I think this is everything you need, especially Songs The Lord Taught Us.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  14. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with the debut album, then proceed forward according to taste.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SLEAZY SOUTHAMERICAN CAVEMAN

Does this count ?

[​IMG]

16. Zbriscoe1

Zbriscoe1 Forum Resident

I came to the cramps late. I have a cd version of jungle thats actually a 2/1 with gravest hits. So that was my first exposure to the album. Needless to say it was awesome. Love stltu as well

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

they were doing fine financially , their music is very often used in commercials so i hope she gets big cheques for that .

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Unfortunately, that is not a great representation of their live powers. (IMHO)

If it's video you want, there's a pretty lengthy pro-shot from the Netherlands (1991?) on the YouTubes.

On a good day, you can find a video boot from City Gardens, NJ (1982). Yowza.

For strict audio, get "Smell of Female" and "Rockinandreelin" first.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Can't do it. A guy needs them ALL.

GlobalObserver likes this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Look Mom" and "Big Beat" were the only 2 albums I never entirely warmed up to and embraced fully, but they each have indispensable stuff. Wouldn't want to be without them. I'd just get everything else first. :)

Guitarded likes this.
  21. Indeed, it was the first Cramps record I got. It's a good survey of their career to that date, and that cover alone makes it a must-have (and probably contributed to sales).

[​IMG]

giantleech, Greenalishi and AGimS like this.
  22. CRJ

CRJ Forum Resident

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SLEAZY SOUTHAMERICAN CAVEMAN

Yeah that's the exact same tour. Tis no better, or an official release for that matter, but thanx for the tip:targettiphat:

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

From what I understand Ivy and Lux were a team all the way - in music and in life - and they had been together a long, long time. She was devastated by his death.This is what I gathered from a lot of reading about them.

It's beyond obvious that, musically, you don't replace a guy like Lux. You just don't. Ivy has always done her own thing and it makes no sense outside of the context of the Cramps music, so it's not like she can really find another gig even if she wanted to. So his death pretty effectively ended her music career, too.

Considering all that, I'm not surprised in the least that she has retired from the public eye and possibly just retired in general. I don't think the Cramps was ever much of a moneymaker for anyone - they were able to make a reasonable living through persistence and hard work. I[m happy she gets a royalty check or two for some ads and movie soundtrack music, but it's probably not nearly as much as we think.

Anyway, I hope she is well and I'm grateful to her and Lux for bringing some real joy into my life and the lives of many others.

25. Geee!

Geee! Forum Resident

Poison Ivy became a really good producer on A Date With Elvis & Stay Sick!, the later album is pretty much as good as A Date With Elvis. Sometimes I prefer it, actually. The both sound good, have great songs and performances.
    nah

Greenalishi likes this.