Bands Whose 'Best Of' Is Their Best Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FloydVivino, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Forum Resident

Definitely not their best album and I totally disagree with your last sentence. The singles give a perspective that covers only one aspect of Genesis. If someone wants to understand the story of Genesis this compilation is very poor.

mbrownp1, Pawnmower and Odysseus like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right.

3. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I did state in a further post I was nly referring to the dodgy trio era.

4. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: I remember clearly this album cover at two of my Uncles' records collection as I used to dig among their records when we were visiting them, also my brother had a copy...but I'm not quite sure to have seen another Lp of Little River Band, I mean, I could not recognize any other Album cover from them :sigh::sigh:

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Forum Resident

While certainly an excellent no-filler early compilation, it doesn't come close to representing the sheer breadth and depth of their career.

pwhytey and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Music Geek

Music Geek Forum Resident

I agree that the trio era is rather dodgy and that's why I would consider Duke better than a compilation of singles. Already a trio but less dodgy...

Rufus rag likes this.
  7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

What do you want?
    I Want Rock and Roll!!!!

8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Agree

9. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

For my money, Marshall's first (self-titled) album, Mary Jean and Nine Others, and Downtown all top this.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  10. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

Many Best Of/Greatest Hits albums are ruined when they put a busload of songs on there, but a lot being single versions because of space restrictions. I hate that!

11. GreenOwl

GreenOwl Well-Known Member

Donovan's Greatest Hits
    Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits

Both on Epic, Both Epic

12. Shaka

Shaka Active Member

The Rolling Stones: Rolled Gold +

13. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

All good choices.

But I gotta' have Whenever You're on my Mind.

14. siebrand

siebrand Forum Resident

313 posts
    13 pages
    and this one isn't in ...

[​IMG]

strange...
    how come?

15. siebrand

siebrand Forum Resident

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

But with only 4 releases, each clocking in near 30 minutes... This is more than half their total output. And sequenced perfectly.

17. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Nevermind the fact taht, in most of those cases, the single version IS the "hit" version... So, that's the version that should be on a Greatest Hits compilation.

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’d probably have to say the best of the Beatles...

AirJordanFan93 likes this.
  19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Geez, dude, how many times were you dropped on your head as a child?

:nyah: (joking, of course) :nyah:

20. Price.pittsburgh

Sort of a late response since our exchanges yesterday but I got busy. But was gonna say I think your take on filler is just songs you don't care for. You said Die Hard The Hunter and Billy's Got a Gun were "forgettable" and Rock of Ages" was "over-rated"
    Neither of those descriptions mean filler. Filler means literally to fill up space. It's often thrown on the album near the end of a session because they don't have enough songs for the album yet or it's a song they come up with real quick without a lot of thought or development. They are unimaginative.
    There can be songs you don't like but that doesn't make them filler and not all filler songs end up as bad songs to everyone.

21. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

Doesn't have That's All You Need or The Plynth. Fatal flaws IMHO.

22. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Yes, I am posting my opinions just like you and everyone else on this forum does on a daily basis. So what if my opinions are different than yours or stray from the common, often just regurgitated narrative? Perhaps you can learn something from hearing someone else's thoughts and opinions that are different than your own.

I do like a lot of Def Leppard songs, but their music does sound quite samey and it is unfortunate that the group's sound never evolved past what was developed in 1982 or there about. I feel Def Leppard have a lot of filler material, even on their high selling albums Pyromania and Hysteria.

Some songs released by the group that were quite popular, such as "Rocket", "Rock of Ages" and even "Love Bites", have always left me scratching my head as to why they were so popular. I've always been neutral about "Love Bites", but fascinated that it was such a big hit (at least it was in the U.S.). Other songs from both Pyromania and Hysteria have always just sounded like filler to me. I know not everyone will agree with that, and that's fine. But that's my take and hence why I suggested the Vault compilation in this thread.

Of course I don't like every song on Vault, but it at least cuts out a lot of the fat from the rest of their (then) catalog and includes pretty much all of the good songs that would qualify it as their best album by far imo especially given that the group's sound hasn't changed/evolved since then so anything else released by the group after Vault is just essentially more of the same from the group.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  23. Price.pittsburgh

For the record I've always felt Hysteria was a bit overrated.
    I bought it the day it was released and was a somewhat disappointed 17 year old. It grew on me and obviously they knew more than me as it outsold Pyromania. Adrenalize is hated on by many for reasons you explained but at least it's an album that owns that sound all the way.
    Def Leppard certainly have a similar sound on their albums but I've never thought that a bad thing. I always thought that was the point of rock and roll bands, but on this thread I see your point is to have the best of the same sounding songs on one album.
    I think most best of albums will naturally be better than studio albums but some studio albums have that unique album experience and that's more of what I was referring to with Pyromania.
    Have you ever heard Slang?
    Definitely their most non Leppard album, or at least most of it even if it was a forced attempt to remain current, I like that they didn't totally abandon their sound and end up sounding pretentious.
    Here's a thread I created on it.
    Def Leppard Slang album nearly 25 years later

Odysseus likes this.
  24. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Your experience with Hysteria is similar to mine with Pyromania. I picked up Vault in high school in the late 90s when DL was getting a ton of exposure on VH-1 with their Behind the Music, Storytellers and Def Leppard Story seemingly getting aired so much that you'd think the channel should've been called DL-1 in stead of VH-1.

I really liked a lot of the songs on Vault and with albums like Pyromania and Hysteria having the praise and reputation that they did I picked up a copy of Pyromania... and boy, was I disappointed. Outside of "Photograph", which is amazing, the rest of the songs on that album just sounded super generic and uninspired to me. I never bothered picking up a copy of Hysteria but over the years I've heard the entire album and have never been inspired to own it or listen to it beyond what's on Vault.

I used to have Slang and to be honest imo despite having a reputation of being different Slang doesn't stray to far from the formulaic DL sound of sugary sweet backing vocals, fake-as-sh!t drums and layered guitars. Yeah, there's a sitar here and a conga there, but it's just French Vanilla instead of Vanilla not all as 'different' as its reputation would indicate imo.

25. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Indeed! ;)